ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

additional car - comments/ advice

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

i currently have a mkII 53reg 172 (for me) and 03reg 172 cup (missus) both fine and happy with all that.

Only minor complaint is that due to my work and distances between me and the guid lady i am now finding that i am putting alot of mileage on my 172, which is 95% motorway journeys and i think a little bit of a waste of it as the mileage albeit not ridiculous at 21,000 after 21months but frustrating as at this point last year the car was only at 6000miles!!

Now this is issue, i have been offered a (wait for it.....................) S reg Citroen Xsara 1.9 TD Exclusive (top of the range) which has all the toys (more to break i hear you say!) that my 172 has bar the esp, leather, climate control and cruise control. It also has the rather curde 90bhp motor, but i think it could be ok for cruising on the highways in as thats all i intend to use it for, basically as a motorway hack. Now its done 89,000miles and iv not seen it, the pics are ok and if i was to go with it then id get it inpsected. Its avails at £1,500.

So, decision is, buy it (or something diesel wise in that price range), keep the miles off the 172 and keep it low mileage and a weekend fun car or stop being a homo and just keep running the 172 with about 1500-2000miles a month.

Personally speaking the economy gains would probably mean the xsara would pay for itself within a year - barring any huge erse ups with the MOT in february (if i bought it).

Just looking for any comments and advice from peeps.

and ill make it clear the 21,000miles i dont think is excessive, but i think itd be guid to keep the miles off the toy and put them on some bag of pisch, ie the xsara that i could get rid of at the auction without a heavy heart if it was over 100k miles!!

A red missile

Buy the Citroen and keep the 172 as a weekend plaything, not much point in piling the miles on it mate, let some diesel shed take the motorway strain - damn site cheaper to run as well.

Subaru WRX/BMWe30 Touring

I agree. Done the same myself as was doing about 20K a year in my 172. Bought a cheap BMW 318i Touring (E30) which I use to go to and from work. As I reduced the mileage on the insurance policy on the 172 to 10K, I have both cars insured for the same as it cost for the 172 by itself last year.

106 GTi

Agree with the above pile some miles on a car you dont really care about if you can. I just use my 182 mainly at weekends.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Sounds like a good solution m8. French diesels are pretty reliable as well and the fact that its only costing you £1.5k to begin with, seems like a bit of a bargain.

The best bit is looking forward to the 172 at the weekend - it will probably make you appreciate it even more! ;)

D.

RB182cup&golf gti

i bought a second car to use as a work car and basically not give a sh*t about where i left it etc and keep the miles off my cup - problem is youve got 2 lots of insurance - i struggled with the insurance as i could not carry my no claims to the second car so the insurance was higher than my cup (was an ax gt) - then youve got servicing and mot costs and tax and wear and tear items such as brakes tyres etc - all depends on the condition of the xsara - ideally you need 12 months MOT - it could be the solution for you, on the other hand it could end up costing you a fortune and becoming a liability....good luck!

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS

The Clio does not cost a lot to run and depreciation is poor anyway so Id run that and put the extra miles on rather than buy a second car.

Two cars means two insurance bills (you can only have use your no - claim bonus on one policy so youd start from scratch on the second car), two MOTs and service and inevitable repairs on an older car.

I use my 182Cup as a motorway car as well as a track toy. Its hemorrhaging cash in the depreciation department anyway so I may as well use it!

Steve

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

cheers for the thoughts guys.

I agree with the above suggestions, one part of me really thinks its a guid idea to invest in a run about for the motorway munching leaving me to have the 172s for weekend use. The insurance would be a bit of an issue and the servicing which could make the savings in fuel/ depreciation unjustified.

I have however unearthed a 95 M bmw 318tds with 103k on the clock, not ideal i know but £1700 for this car in SE spec so it has plenty fo toys and a full BMW service history and is motd for 9months, whereas the xsara is only til feb 06.

still not 100% sure whats best to do. The missus thinks that getting a £16-20k saab/ audi/ bmw td motor and trade the 172 and use her cup if i wanted would be an option, but think thats alot of brass for not alot gained.

Decisions decisions eh?!

2004 182 Black Gold

Definately keep the 172 and use it!

Ive got a mint 53 plate with 8k miles on the clock and I cant get £8k for it :((Mind you only put it on the free to advertise sites!) so at least by using it youre not just losing money on something parked in the garage (Like me!)

If you get another (older) car youve got insurance, tax, MOTs, repairs and then youre just using your 172 on a weekend. (after all that midweek driving Id have thought a car is the last place youd want to be on a weekend) :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

true, its just that the mass of the mileage during the week is going to either

inverness

oban

auchterarder

dunbar

which are all punting my mileage up with lots of motorway miles which any old car can do no probs!!

know that a second car is a hinderence, and the cost of maintenance could be a huge factor.

Tempted to look at the bmw i mentioned above as it does look guid and i got some very nice email snaps - v v v mint