ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS and ESP not working - abs sensors??!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I've searched aplenty with no luck. My ABS and ESP lights have been on for ages and neither of them work. What do we think may be the most likely cause? First thing I'm thinking is one or more of the ABS sensors as its the only sensor I can think of that both the ABS and ESP systems will feed off?

Any help and thoughts appreciated!

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
You may be correct. I'd start by checking the ABS rings on the ends of the driveshafts for cracks etc, and to see if the sensor is clean and in the correct position.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
You may be correct. I'd start by checking the ABS rings on the ends of the driveshafts for cracks etc, and to see if the sensor is clean and in the correct position.

Sounds like a good way to start to me, cheers!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
exactly

I had to clean the sensors several times after track work.

Think this should solve it, I've had a few different types of oil and grease all over the shafts and bottom of engine recently due to failing cv and the pas system failing etc, and I've been doing track work so they'll probably be dirty. Also, it wasn't a cut and dry, suddenly they stopped working type scenario, they were on and off for a bit, then stopped completely. Thanks guys, I'll see if this works.

Steering wheel position sensor caused this on mine. It feeds into the ABS and ESP computer to help it work out if it's skidding or just going round a corner. It had had an after market steering wheel on though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was a bit more drastic. The ESP light never went on/off via the switch.

Reno's solution? Replace the entire instrument cluster. Got it done under warranty with a few days to spare!

D.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Steering wheel position sensor caused this on mine. It feeds into the ABS and ESP computer to help it work out if it's skidding or just going round a corner. It had had an after market steering wheel on though.

This is interesting. I'll try this next if checking/cleaning the abs sensors doesn't work. Where abouts is the sensor? Take wheel off and somewhere in the upper steering column area I'm guessing? Handy as I'm about to fit an aftermarket wheel actually.

In fact I'll plug my RS Tuner in to see if there's any steering angle DTC's.

I'm assuming there's an abs sensor per corner? Or just front two corners?
Not sure on that one matey, I'd imagine it's per corner but I just needed the front one replacing. It was practically torn into two so it was obvious that was the problem. Hope you find it out matey :)

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Not sure on that one matey, I'd imagine it's per corner but I just needed the front one replacing. It was practically torn into two so it was obvious that was the problem. Hope you find it out matey :)

Sweet as a nut, I'll have a poke about tomorrow night.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Ok, how on earth are you supposed to remove the damn abs sensors??! Undid the Torx bolt and it was absolutely solid!! Tried searching, is it just a case of wacking it off or something?!!

Give it a good wiggle so it lifts out, if not try a few sprays of WD-40. Mine came out pretty easily actually!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
What a mare. One of the sensors I had the Torx bolt round on me, its soft and rusty. So I ground the head off it with a grinder. Still wouldn't budge. Tried the other side, the bolt came out fine, the sensor was also completely stuck. Wedged a screwdriver underneath and managed to snap half of the sensor off! So I need two new sensors regardless of whether these are my problem now! I'm sure its these at fault though, they are obviously the original 88k mile items. Will get replacements then attack them with the grinder or some other fun tool. I'm changing wishbones on friday so the hubs will be off, I'll try knocking it through from other side then.

I had one snap on me when I was trying to get one off a car at the scrappies. A lot of people will sell you a hub with ABS sensor attatched as they are so hard to get off... surprised mine came off pretty easy tbh.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I had one snap on me when I was trying to get one off a car at the scrappies. A lot of people will sell you a hub with ABS sensor attatched as they are so hard to get off... surprised mine came off pretty easy tbh.

I'll get the little f*ckers out when I take my hubs off on friday. New sensors fo sho methinks. Approx how much are they new from stealers or GSF/Euro Car Parts? I will ring tomorrow but just to give an idea? In fact I bet they are silly money..... maybe I'll get some eBay specials...

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I think mine for my 1.2 was around £25 from GSF, which isn't too bad.

Thats not quite as bad as I thought, considering loads of people sell them at more then that on eBay! Maybe RS ones are more, but I highly doubt that they'll be different to the 1.2 ones, would be silly.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
£32 from Euro Car Parts, £44 from GSF, not paying that!

Does anyone know if 2007 Clio ABS sensors are the same as 2003? I've found one I could buy. Then I'll try and source another.

Mine wasn't £44! I think it's because yours has ESP? In which case they will be different from non-sport ones.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Mine wasn't £44! I think it's because yours has ESP? In which case they will be different from non-sport ones.

Yep it must be due to the ESP. I wonder if all 2007 Clio's have ESP? Then that means I could probably use this 2007 one I've found...