ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

About to buy some lowering springs and I need a little advice!

I'm about to buy some lowering springs and I need a little advice on a few things..

The first is that the guy is saying the springs are apex, are these a good reputable brand?

Secondly as I have searched eBay I see they offer different types of springs in the description e.g..

Clio 2.0 40mm lowering springs

or

Clio 1.2 mk2 40mm lowering springs

does this make a difference which ones you buy? whats the difference between them (regardless of the clios engine size), is the clio 2.0 chassis slightly different from the 1.2 chassis? That would make them perhaps not fit?

as I own a 1.2 16v extreme on 17" (I know) and would like to fit the springs to this, and he has a "[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Clio 1.1 16v Extreme 4 special addition" (in his own words, but I think its a 1.2) fitted with the springs and also 17". Both our tyre sizes are [/FONT]205/40/17

Thanks for all your help

I would stay away from Apex - they give a nice drop but a very harsh ride. Not many people on here rate them and I've had a set myself.

If you want it low, then stay away from Sportlines too. They are the best for handling but hardly give any drop!

I would stay away from Apex - they give a nice drop but a very harsh ride. Not many people on here rate them and I've had a set myself.

If you want it low, then stay away from Sportlines too. They are the best for handling but hardly give any drop!

Thanks admin for the move and the helpful tip there lol my bad!

Thanks for the advice, as I'm on a limited budget I see the apex as ideal (I can compromise a harsh ride for a nice drop) I feel as though my current stock suspension (I think) is also very harsh as it is, so I don't feel there would be much of a difference (although who am I to judge, I have never had lowering springs before). Thanks

Ph2 Meg 225
I have apex on and don't mind the ride, only time I find them harsh is on speed bumps! Anything over 15mph and its like hitting a wall.
As for the difference in springs I believe it's different engine weights. So if you fitted 2.0 springs to a 1.2 it may sit higher on the front :) I may be wrong though

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks admin for the move and the helpful tip there lol my bad!

Thanks for the advice, as I'm on a limited budget I see the apex as ideal (I can compromise a harsh ride for a nice drop) I feel as though my current stock suspension (I think) is also very harsh as it is, so I don't feel there would be much of a difference (although who am I to judge, I have never had lowering springs before). Thanks

Go for the cooksports if on a budget or possibly 2nd hand Eibachs?

And yes 2.0 springs are different to 1.2/1.4 springs. To compensate for heavier engine.
But that blokes will fit on yours. Although you are right they are known as 1.2's and its an "edition" not "addition" lol.

And yes 2.0 springs are different to 1.2/1.4 springs. To compensate for heavier engine.
But that blokes will fit on yours. Although you are right they are known as 1.2's and its an "edition" not "addition" lol.

yep I thought so lol, they where his exact words! copied and pasted (purely because I couldn't be bothered to type it) ill be sure to pass him the heads up lmao, thanks everyone I appreciate your help! Just 1 more question....

If I fit these springs, my mother being quite a heavy woman, I sometimes take her places in the car, I'm a little worried about rubbing when she gets in, or even if the wheels will turn, any advice or will the springs stick to their dedicated mm? thanks

1.2 16V Dynamique
Just jumping on the bandwagon of this thread... What about a good (by good I mean not f*cking my back up) set of springs for a 1.2 which only lowers by about 20mm?

Eibach pro lines don't lower by 30mm. I dought the sportlines even go that low to be honest.

If on a budget I'd go for the cooksport springs. Heard nothing but good things about them and they seem to sit quite low.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Eibach pro lines don't lower by 30mm. I dought the sportlines even go that low to be honest.

If on a budget I'd go for the cooksport springs. Heard nothing but good things about them and they seem to sit quite low.

Your wrong i had this argument after i fitted the Eibach pro kit a few months back, got mine from demontweeks
Prolines lower by 30mm all round Sportlines 45mm front 30mm rear check ebay or demontweeks

Thanks for the replies everyone, many people are saying the apex are a load of s***e , but I bought them today anyway for a daft £30 (silly not to relay)! They need a bit of a wire down, and a coat or 2 of hammerite which ill do tomorrow. These are to go on my 1.2 mk2 extreme, The lad who I purchased them off did not know the drop but he had them on 17" (like me) and he said he got no rubbing, which I'm pleased about, but I'm sure these are a 60mm front and 40mm back! So now I am not sure if ill be ok on the standard dampers and he seemed to mention that I may need up rated wheel bearings ?? (if anyone could answer this for me I would be thankful). The part Number I have from them is: "150-40601 VA 72/06 *" which strangely I can't find on the apex website (yet they have the apex logo all over them) I have enclosed a few images of them here:

1)
2iau4au.jpg

2)
cosc7.jpg

3)
29n6seb.jpg

4)
s11369.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Your wrong i had this argument after i fitted the Eibach pro kit a few months back, got mine from demontweeks
Prolines lower by 30mm all round Sportlines 45mm front 30mm rear check ebay or demontweeks

Mate I know what it says on the box. As does everyone. But I'm telling you, I have Sportlines on mine and they DO NOT lower the car as much as they say. My rear height doesn't look any different what so ever. Although I understand a couple of mm is extremely hard to judge. But it is definitely not anywhere near 30mm!

My mate also has Prolines and it didnt change a thing height wise!

So if your saying your Prolines have lowered by the amount it says on the tin. Then you are either extremely lucky or lying.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
To be honest if you just put lowering springs on a 1.2 its never going to be for 'handling' anyways as its only a 1.2 and everyone goes for looks. Plus you would have to upgrade the dampers etc to make it handle much better. Even said though i have 40mm V-Maxx springs on mine and round corners it really does help as the body roll is nowhere near as bad plus makes the car look much better.

But if i was you i would save for coilovers and try get them. Ive got some and just waiting to get them fitted :)

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Mate I know what it says on the box. As does everyone. But I'm telling you, I have Sportlines on mine and they DO NOT lower the car as much as they say. My rear height doesn't look any different what so ever. Although I understand a couple of mm is extremely hard to judge. But it is definitely not anywhere near 30mm!

My mate also has Prolines and it didnt change a thing height wise!

So if your saying your Prolines have lowered by the amount it says on the tin. Then you are either extremely lucky or lying.

Listen matey im not a liar and i have lowered and tracked enough cars to know it depends on age of dampers and type to get the drop it says on the box
So i must be one of the lucky ones as i got a good inch or so drop all round, also i didnt buy them for the drop as both my front springs had snapped i got them for comfort and handling

Attachments

• 30mm eibachs.jpg
    30mm eibachs.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 95
  Renault Clio 1.2 16v
i currently have apex springs on my 1.2, apex only do 60mm springs and 40mm springs for clio 1.2, 60mm on 17's would rub, thats why i got 40mm but now i run 16's for coilovers. the springs you bought should just be a straight swap with the originals theres no need to touch the wheel bearing atall duno what he was on about and those springs are defo apex got same set, i cant get over how dodgy the back springs look when there in place lol

i currently have apex springs on my 1.2, apex only do 60mm springs and 40mm springs for clio 1.2, 60mm on 17's would rub, thats why i got 40mm but now i run 16's for coilovers. the springs you bought should just be a straight swap with the originals theres no need to touch the wheel bearing at all duno what he was on about and those springs are defo apex got same set, i cant get over how dodgy the back springs look when there in place lol

thanks for that reply, glad to hear from someone who has the same car and springs as me! Unfortunately we don't know how much they actually drop because he got them given to him, so there is a 50/50 chance they could be 60mm! If they are 60mm then I'm knackered as I have 17"!