ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A new Mac, but Macbook or Macbook Pro?? upgrade not worth it??

Always wanted a macbook pro, loving the silver finish, but always loved the white macbooks (or iBooks as they were) but put off as they were the less powerful machines.

But now that theyve upgraded them they are pretty much on par! in fact the middle range macbook seems the same spec as the £1350 macbook pro... see here...

product-title-white216ghz.gif

• 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1GB memory
  • 120GB hard drive1
  • Double-layer SuperDrive
Ready to ship: 24hrs
Free Shipping
£829.00
(£705.53 ex VAT)

or for £521 more....

product-title-15in216ghz.gif

• 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1440 x 900 resolution
  • 1GB memory
  • 120GB hard drive1
  • 6x double-layer SuperDrive
Ready to ship: 24hrs
Free Shipping
£1,349.00
(£1,148.09 ex VAT)

not really worth the extra anymore is it?

Main thing is the graphics card.

MBP's are just "better" if that makes sense. Whether or not the difference in price is worth it for you, is up to you.

MBP also looks AWESOME (I've yet to see a better looking laptop, ANYWHERE)

i'm with you.. really am. also love the white though...
But thinking... i swear it used to be a bigger difference in the two.

surely there must be an upgrade due to the MBP's soon too then?

ahhh, just having a read... doesnt say much about this new processor though... we expecting big things?

Mk2 Golf GTI
Is the hard drive the only difference between the black and white Macbook? seems a little expensive if that's the case!

IMO I would get the MBP otherwise you will just regret not buying it when you find something that runs slow on the MB.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I'd have no need for that sort of power as it would be for business and running a DJing program on that requires very little processing power.

Was looking at old G4 powerbooks but i'm not a big fan of buying second hand from a random with things like this.

Just fancy a mac and some hassle free computing!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'd have no need for that sort of power as it would be for business and running a DJing program on that requires very little processing power.

Was looking at old G4 powerbooks but i'm not a big fan of buying second hand from a random with things like this.

I'd go for a macbook unless you have very specific needs for the larger screen and better graphics chip.

My G4 tower (which my girlfriend has) is about 5 years old and still flies! I'd like to change to a MBP or possibly MB but I can't justify it because my powerbook is still more than powerful enough 2 years after purchase.

Every release of OS X gives a speed bump to older models as well :)

I've said it many times, "once you go mac, you never go back!".

Do it. Do it now!

Monaro VXR
1 other option unless you want to pay the premium for the silver case. Buy an ordinary core 2 laptop and put the mac os on it if thats all you want it for.

Personally cant stand the mac OS but some people like it. Hated using mac's at Uni.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have a White mac Book and love it. I do like the Macbook Pro but they were way more than I wanted to spend on a computer that is just used for Surfing really.

Id say personally save the extra £££££ and get the Mac book. Didnt you just buy a flat as well or a house? Just think what you would do with the extra cash money!

I'd go for a macbook unless you have very specific needs for the larger screen and better graphics chip.

My G4 tower (which my girlfriend has) is about 5 years old and still flies! I'd like to change to a MBP or possibly MB but I can't justify it because my powerbook is still more than powerful enough 2 years after purchase.

Every release of OS X gives a speed bump to older models as well :)

I've said it many times, "once you go mac, you never go back!".

Do it. Do it now!

I'm with you there fella... i've had my G5 iMac for nearly 3 years now and its still awesome... runs 1.25gb of ram to keep it going with all the photos/music i play with but i've always said... if i had bought a windows desktop it'd have been dead by now... my familys one is fucked now and they bought it a month after... i've converted them all to Mac now. lol

Revels Mum & Sister
Once you have had mac there is no turning back.

If it wasnt for wanting to play games on PC I would have bought a uber tower

Monaro VXR
For those of you with PC's saying they run slow etc. You have done proper routing maintenance right? defraged the drives, run virus scans / spyware adware scans etc?

My 2nd pc is going on for 4 years old now and its still currently sat in my mates room working perfectly.

People need to understand that its not the software that screws up its the user 95% of the time. My mate uses his computer for most of the same things as me yet mines running perfectly fine and has done for the last 2 years. His has needed formatting twice in that time due to slowdowns etc. Both pretty much identical machines as well. Same specs same version of windows etc.

Yet because he doesn't do maintenance its buggered up and virus etc got on there.

I would just buy a normal notebook and put linux on there myself.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
For those of you with PC's saying they run slow etc. You have done proper routing maintenance right? defraged the drives, run virus scans / spyware adware scans etc?

My 2nd pc is going on for 4 years old now and its still currently sat in my mates room working perfectly.

People need to understand that its not the software that screws up its the user 95% of the time. My mate uses his computer for most of the same things as me yet mines running perfectly fine and has done for the last 2 years. His has needed formatting twice in that time due to slowdowns etc. Both pretty much identical machines as well. Same specs same version of windows etc.

Yet because he doesn't do maintenance its buggered up and virus etc got on there.

I would just buy a normal notebook and put linux on there myself.

If you think linux is comparable to OS X then I'd suggest you go and live with both of them for a month, OS X has a far better user experience than you'll get from gnome, kde or [insert you favourite window manager here].

One of the problem with windows is the registry, it was possibly the worst design decision (up until vista, which is just an all-round bad design decision) that Microsoft ever made.

What I find amusing is that the user shouldn't be able to impact the OS performance in any way, regardless of what they install, this is a particular feature of windows that I've not seen any other OS suffer with.

The great thing about OS X is you don't have to bother with any of this "maintainance" that a windows user has to do (if they don't want to be re-installing every couple of months), no defragging, no spyware removal, no virus checking.....

Better than yours. C*nt.
Alot to be said for running routine maintenance - and just being sensible. I've not needed to run virus scans or spyware scans because I'm sensible... But my mate's got AV on there and I've still had to go pull some well dug-in software out of it on occasion!

Revels Mum & Sister
lol why not buy a mint mac pro, wack Boot Camp on it, and play games on the XP/Vista partition..... ;)

Because buying a Mac Pro and sticking the Gcard I want in there and memory would be WAY too many Pennys compared to a PC build.

I have a Mac Mini which is for sale and a Mac Book so they do me.

I'd love a mac lappy but I want a macbook pro in macbook size :(

Wait a bit then.. rumours say it *may* happen.

Altho, I said the same.. and I soon realised the MBP 15" is the perfect size laptop.. because the laptop is so thin anyway, you don't realise.

Like for like, there's not much in it. When I get my laptop out, I'll post a pic.. I did a comparison of MBP Vs MB (We had someone buy a Macbook at work)

Rav4
Another great feature is the built in camera, this is excellent for such things as Skype !!!! Nothing extra required, been using it to speak to my mum in spain and all works perfectly, great stuff.

I have the macbook pro, core duo, and that is excellent for all tasks :)

Core 2 duo's run more efficiently with less heat produced.

If you are not doing heavy graphics, or require the 15.4" the macbook is more than enough and at a good price too.

Yes macs are more expensive for the equivelant of a windows laptop in terms of h/w but I do think it is worth it, and in 5 years time, I am sure it will be working just as well as now.

Try doing this on a Windows laptop ;)

And yes, that is a proper XP install.. and yes it is Internet Explorer and Excel working side by side with OS X Applications ;)

Awesome awesome awesome :)

Basically, you have all the benefits of OSX and the apps, but also apps which are Windows only, can be used just like any other program! :)

Attachments

• parallels.png
    parallels.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 95