ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading my Macbook

6/468 17poo
I have no knowledge of how to do this and what to do, I have an old alloy Macbook probably 2008 model, its not a pro but has the same case as the Pros these days. This is the spec: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook5,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 3 MB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Whats the best thing to upgrade to make it faster? The HD is only 160gb i think so that definitely needs to be upgraded! If anyone has any knowledge of how, please shed some light or links! Cheers, Ryan

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You could double the memory to 4GB, think that's the max but could be wrong. And a new HDD, that's about it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
It aint hard to change out the RAM. Crucial are the best/cheapest and have a computer scanner so that you cant order the wrong stuff (Basically run the scanner and it'll tell you what you can have).

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
As above, and it tells you how to do it in the apple manual/on their website.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The older RAM does seem to be more expensive than the new stuff but it aint that much more. Should speed it up considerably.

Also, as opposed to sticking a replacement HDD in, would you not consider going down the SSD route? We have SSD in our Air and iMac and everything is instant.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
SSD is expensive though, hybrid might be a better compromise if he's after a big HDD

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
SSD is expensive though, hybrid might be a better compromise if he's after a big HDD

(Sorry in advance for something of a thread hijack, but it's a related point with no need for a new thread of its own!)

I'm thinking of ways to boost my 2009 MacBook Pro (2.26 GHz Dual Core) and have already decided to upgrade the RAM (will I see much difference between going for 8GB over 4GB? Alot of conflicting reports - I do mainly design work in illustrator, indesign as well as photoshop work and video editing). I'm also interested in going hybrid, with a smaller SSD to put all my applications on so they load quicker, but how do I go about this? Any links? It'd be straight forward enough with a desktop Windows PC, but a laptop Mac seems a lot tighter and more locked down!

EDIT: Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the best 500gb hd to replace my existing drive? ssd's are too expensive

Most new hard drives are expensive at the moment due to the floods in Taiwan. Any hard drive will do, I have a used but working Seagate Momentum 320gb 5400rpm drive and 2 x 2gb Macbook pro ram spare if its any use? £25 posted for the lot?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Most new hard drives are expensive at the moment due to the floods in Taiwan. Any hard drive will do, I have a used but working Seagate Momentum 320gb 5400rpm drive and 2 x 2gb Macbook pro ram spare if its any use? £25 posted for the lot?

This is true, I'm waiting for prices to drop atm as I'm after a couple of 2TB drives.

(Sorry in advance for something of a thread hijack, but it's a related point with no need for a new thread of its own!)

I'm thinking of ways to boost my 2009 MacBook Pro (2.26 GHz Dual Core) and have already decided to upgrade the RAM (will I see much difference between going for 8GB over 4GB? Alot of conflicting reports - I do mainly design work in illustrator, indesign as well as photoshop work and video editing). I'm also interested in going hybrid, with a smaller SSD to put all my applications on so they load quicker, but how do I go about this? Any links? It'd be straight forward enough with a desktop Windows PC, but a laptop Mac seems a lot tighter and more locked down!

EDIT: Thoughts on this?

If your getting an SSD purely for applications (presume this is going where the superdrive currently lives, think Tom has done this) then just use your current HDD for your data.

If your just wanting to stick to one drive, the hybrid like you linked to is the sort of thing to go for.

As for RAM, max out if your computer supports it.

6/468 17poo
Just plugged in my new RAM, up to 4gb now and it really shows running Traktor and Albeton, best £20 ive spent in a long time!

Need to make a decision on a bigger HD now tho! suggestions please...