ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A bit of retail therapy

RB 182
After quite a crappy year in my personal life I decided to splash out a little and have something I've always wanted since owning a CS... ITB's!! :evil:

It's taken quite a long time to get the car to this stage but its done, mapped and no going back now! I now need to sort a track day out before the year ends and then work out a budget to race next year.

On first impressions I couldn't tell the difference between our old induction setup and this one, but as soon as you get the car into the upper rev range and properly give it some beans, the power is pretty mental. Not earth shatteringly massive, but enough to give the car more poke and be competitive. I was expecting 215-220 but after chatting to Paul and Fred this seems a little optimistic. The car still suffers a little being too high comp, there might well have been a tiny bit more power if the decat was fitted but its healthy and strong so all is good!

Jenvey ITB's with 120mm trumpets, high comp pistons, megane forged con rods, all rebuilt and with a skimmed head.

Big thanks to Fred, Paul and James for all their help :)

IMAG0075_zpsa58ee59d.jpg

IMAG0076_zps26d63720.jpg

IMAG0077_zps3eb75a23.jpg

IMAG0080_zpsf6f21f1a.jpg

IMAG0051_zps7b1204b1.jpg

RB 182
438 (aka 421) cams as it was originally for standard management. It is high comp Fred, remember the head was skimmed a large amount as well as the high comp pistons! ;) I think we worked it out to be 13.5:1 cr or similar.

Running Gaz coilovers which were a bit pants tbh, the PM strut brace and whitleine roll bar have stiffened it up a treat, but no where as good as my old AST's which were perfect imo. Fred likes them a lot softer on the front but I personally prefer them very stiff front and rear.

Fred, I can give you a lift over the weekend or tomorrow, let me know what time. If I buy the car I text you about will probably need a service so can do it then?

Cup In bits
So you had to cut the timing back again? Same as with your old inlet?

Iirc the 438's don't have as big an overlap compared to 421's and are advanced or retarded in timing marks for better idle, did the guru' say 421's or 422/3 would have been better suited?

I looked for your thread but can't find it hence the questions, were they aftermarket megane con rods and what hi comp pistons?

RB 182
Same as before yeah, Paul had to pull the timing almost all the way back.

On the original build we were running stock ECU so 438/421 were the only option, iir 421 were not in stock from all of the usual places but 438's were so we chose them. If the engine was due new belts then yes I would have bought the wildest cams I can afford as well as a thicker head gasket to lower the cr, but I don't have the money to pay for another belt job when it's not really needed at this stage. I would rather get the car to handle correct and invest in better coilovers, full cage, possible race license next year than tinker with more power on the engine. That can wait till the next engine overhaul, I would seriously need to consider LSD if that were the option too. Never ending money pit! :(

Not 100% sure about the con rods, probably best to ask Fred. I know they are OE, I think Fred had some "special" ones stashed aside from back in the Yozza days.

RB 182
ffs, I wish i never gave you that link!! lol I'll update it in a month when I can do some actual work on the car. No trackday booked, will be doing that this month. Will be looking to enter it into a Hill climb even with my mate, then hopefully stump up the cash to enter it in one or two tin top races. My priority is getting a house atm.

RB 182
103db, might shave a bit off with the cat put back in but with their policy I don't really want to be booted out after one lap.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
ffs, I wish i never gave you that link!! lol I'll update it in a month when I can do some actual work on the car. No trackday booked, will be doing that this month. Will be looking to enter it into a Hill climb even with my mate, then hopefully stump up the cash to enter it in one or two tin top races. My priority is getting a house atm.

Sorry just say in :)