ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So nearly 4 years after joining I've finally got myself a 172 in Monaco. For now this thread will be just full of general maintenance crap and nothing that interesting.

So to start I went to view the car on Sunday in Ibstock (220 mile round trip) and didn't have much hope for it as I've seen a fair few of these now and they've all just been polished turds. This one however was really straight outside and had a lot of history with it. The car seems to have been well looked after although there were a few mechanical niggles. I paid for it (£1600 which I thought was fair), took the keys and the logbook and drove home.

Last night my dad drove me down there to collect it and we had a bit of fun on the way back up the M6 toll.

So the car:

2003 Monaco 172
80,000 miles
Not quite full service history
Blowing exhaust
Belts not due for a year yet but the invoice from the garage previously was questionable (see below)

13250008685_c0f291fb0b_z.jpg

Really Blurry Monaco 172 by welshname, on Flickr

13250354014_26ff372c0a_z.jpg

Monaco 172 Rear by welshname, on Flickr

13250354734_c7b4869dff_z.jpg

Engine Bay by welshname, on Flickr

100% genuine Renault parts there if you ask me...

13250672984_d8b764d8f4_z.jpg

Questionable Invoice by welshname, on Flickr

Apologies for the horrific phone pictures, it was cold.

I've got a long list of little things to do along with some bigger items that need attention which is as follows:

• Cam belt kit - ordered
  • Aux belt kit - ordered
  • PAS Pump - collecting this week
  • Crack rear light - done
  • Swap washer jets for mist items - done
  • Replace the brakes all round
  • Fix stupidly high handbrake
  • Replace passenger side headlight washer
  • Fix blowing exhaust (will be replaced in the next month) - done
  • Fix cigarette lighter socket - done
  • Aero wipers
  • Restore passenger headlight
  • RenaultSport Mats
  • Interior light bulb - done
  • Drivers door sensor - done
  • Dogbone mount - collecting this week

I know that seems like a really long list but a lot of it is very small easy things and as you can see I've done quite a few tonight.

So rear light before:

13250148173_428fbc728a_z.jpg

Cracked Rear Light by welshname, on Flickr

And After:

13250147653_8092941742_z.jpg

Replacement Rear Light by welshname, on Flickr

Bodged exhaust repair:

13250005745_a91f381d9f_z.jpg

Bodged Exhaust Repair by welshname, on Flickr

Not sure you can see but it looks like black silicone, it got progressively louder on my way home so I've removed it all and gummed it up properly. Just waiting for it to set a bit as the first time it blew through again (no pictures as my hands were covered in the stuff), then I'll start the car and let it run the exhaust up to temp.

This weekend I'll be tackling the PAS Pump and both belt kits. Fun times!

M2 Comp
Looks a tidy car and good price.

Ibstock is only 5 mins away from me, can't say i've seen it around before!

Inferno 225 cup
I really like a well kept Monaco blue 172.

Jared's Monaco looked great at CSS last year. you done have to overly modify to make it look good.

Cup shocks and cook sports will settle that car nicely.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Whey finally! Car looks good, seems a fair price too :)

Just needs coilys and 2118's!

Thanks, yeah I was very happy with the price tbh. And I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking I'll probably go for turini's and a subtle drop (more than likely on coilovers though).

Looks a tidy car and good price.

Ibstock is only 5 mins away from me, can't say i've seen it around before!

Ibstock is properly the arse end of nowhere. He lives about 30 seconds from a BP Garage if that helps you figure out where.

:clap:

will this one be staying?

We shall see. I'm hoping so, just looking forward to getting all the mechanicals sorted and driving it a lot.

Good to hear, Rhys. We'll have to go for a blast sometime!

100% decided I had to get one and it be ready for some drives out into Wales this summer. Hoping to do a track day or two and the ring at some point.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a shout when you want to go on drives and s**t. As long as there are no retards coming along.

I hope this one isn't a shed like the past few you've had either ;)

Oh and it definitely needs a K&N that only kicks in above 5.5k revs.

Last edited:

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, we'll have to start organising some meets.

Ash's old Monaco looked great on Turini's. His where anthracite iirc though.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Are the Monaco blue rare or just preferred colour of make 2?
I have one and just interested before I go mad and spray it!!!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
100% worth the wait. Just in the process of stripping everything down to do the belts when they arrive. Saves messing around when I could be doing more important stuff on the car.

Currently being dicked by the bolt behind the archliner trying to get the front bumper off

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Tonight I decided to start stripping down the front end ready for the belt change at weekend. The weather is forecast to be pretty poor on and off so I want to make the most of the good bits of weather to be doing the important stuff.

Started by getting the front bumper off (which took an absolute age because I couldn't get the drivers side bolt out of the wing). Followed by the slam panel and the headlights.

13275015793_d6d68ff633_z.jpg

Slam Panel and Bumper off by welshname, on Flickr

Then drained the PAS Fluid which was completely black

13274872545_ea88b61486_z.jpg

Black PAS Fluid by welshname, on Flickr

Then decided to take the upper inlet and airbox off

13275200324_25e960c93c_z.jpg

Inlet and Airbox off by welshname, on Flickr

Quick inspection of the end seals (no idea what they're actually called) to find they're leaking

13275013123_dedfc2609e_z.jpg

Leaky Seals by welshname, on Flickr

Quick check of the throttle body showed some oil around the outer lip (is that normal or does it appear to be breathing a little heavily?)

13275012753_7ddd576470_z.jpg

Throttle Body by welshname, on Flickr

And that's all I managed to get done. A friend popped round so ended up chatting to them for an hour so didn't get anything else done.

Tomorrow I plan to take the PAS Pump off (so aux belt and tensioner naturally will come off also).

Fiesta ST3 & Astra
Hi mate, looks a good buy and uve defo went for the best colour ;)

Enjoy and ill b keeping an eye on the thread to see how the project goes

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. Cheers Oli.

I might see if I can make that day actually. It'll be more than ready by then :)

But yeah I'll be down t'unit at some point in summer, probably a couple of times tbh so I'll no doubt see you there.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
In respect to the throttle body oil, that is breathing a little bit. You going to compression test / leak down at some point?

PS. we can sign you on as a passenger and you can come out in mine at Oulton, if you want.