ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

335i or FRS?

Z4
Both fantastic cars in their own right, but which should I go for!

Mk1 FRS + holds value extremely well, special, 300bhp easily achievable (I'd buy it modified), cheap to run.
- Interior, getting old now, no luxuries.

335i + image, refinement, performance, grown up proper car.
- unreliable, would need warranty, not special.

Thoughts?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bmw lacks character for me. When you say image? Maybe to a petrolhead but to Joe Bloggs it looks like a 118 coupe.

Either way they are completely different cars.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Drive them. I've never driven either but I would assume the FRS would feel more special.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
335i, the FRS, although capable is far too "try hard" - although I am biased.... ;-)

clio 182 trophy
Would be the 335i for me! They can be had for around the 10-12k mark with decent mileage, but the HPFP issues put me off. I remember someone had one not so long ago (may still have) on here and it spent more time in the garage than out. Awesome cars though if you avoid such issues.

Are these the only options for you?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone buying one without warranty needs their head checked.

clio 182 trophy
Anyone buying one without warranty needs their head checked.

I really fancy a 335i also as my next car and am not entirely sure how the warranty works. If Chris_P bought one on say a 57 plate with 60,000m, would extended warranty cover up to 100,000m?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I really fancy a 335i also as my next car and am not entirely sure how the warranty works. If Chris_P bought one on say a 57 plate with 60,000m, would extended warranty cover up to 100,000m?

Depends, warranty is in mosts cases timed. 12 months with a max of 20k iirc.

A friend looked at an extra year for his 07 RS4. £1600.

DB.

BMW 440i
That just screams dated to me. I think because I loved the E60 so much this looks stone age in comparison.

If it makes sense. The E46 M3 doesn't look as dated as that M5 does.

Agreed, won't be long before the current 07ish plate ones start to look dated as well!

Z4
Bmw lacks character for me. When you say image? Maybe to a petrolhead but to Joe Bloggs it looks like a 118 coupe.

Either way they are completely different cars.

Joe Bloggs sees a newish BMW and assumes you've won the lottery.
Joe Bloggs sees a 10 year old focus RS and tars it with the same brush as a chav Vxr.

A petrolhead sees both and gets blinded by the blue from the RS and doesn't even notice the 335i.

Its like a boy vs man car IMO. BMW wins everytime
Oh definitely. Sometimes it's hard letting your toys go though!

Would be the 335i for me! They can be had for around the 10-12k mark with decent mileage, but the HPFP issues put me off. I remember someone had one not so long ago (may still have) on here and it spent more time in the garage than out. Awesome cars though if you avoid such issues.

Are these the only options for you?

Ive near enough narrowed it down to these, yes.
I would get a BMW warranty mate. Although even still the reliability is a slight concern, its hassle more than anything.

Depends, warranty is in mosts cases timed. 12 months with a max of 20k iirc.

A friend looked at an extra year for his 07 RS4. £1600.

https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk
Works out around £45pm

That just screams dated to me. I think because I loved the E60 so much this looks stone age in comparison.

If it makes sense. The E46 M3 doesn't look as dated as that M5 does.

That's because the e39 is older! E60 is such a handsome steed.
I agree though, looks horrendously dated. Don't get me wrong, they're awesome, but I've done the whole M car thing and there's a large M tax that I cba with this time round.

Ok nice one mate!

OP Would you go for an MK2 FRS or?

MK1.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
335 without a shadow of a doubt.
just saw the MK1 bit. Surely there is quite a difference in price (won't MK2 be closer?)

If it's a toy you're after then it has to be the Focus, if it's something you need to use daily then go for the Bimmer. I wouldn't fancy trying to use mine as a daily.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Strange how they are completely different and also very different in price. 335i's seem to start at £13-£14k whereas a focus is £7-£8k start.

Still, if you can afford the extra... Get the BMW. The focus is old and crappy in comparison. Lol

it won't lose any money if you buy a good one tho.

Z4
They're comparable in price.
335s can be picked up for 10k if you're savvy. The rs fluctuates between 7.5-11k.

Yes es they're very different cars, I thought that was obvious lol. Seems fairly split on here, leaning towards the Bmw.

Personally I'm swaying towards the 335 too, it's a much better all round car, just lacks that specialness and running costs are far higher.

335i without hesitation.

MK1 FRS is a nice car. But the interior is absolute SH*T and it's too try hard compared to the grown up beemer.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
FRS, doesn't lose money hand over fist like [non-M, generic BMW].

Unless they start getting modded, in which case value drops....like a stone.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just seems a mental comparison. I don't really get it. The only thing they share is 4 wheels.

Listerine & Poledo
Focus 1.6 Black

and an S2000

combined running costs < 335i or FRS

Because, for 99% of your driving life, more than 80hp is completely pointless

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The 335i will inevitably thow you a stone kicker of a bill at some point, in my opinion, bmw are residing on their build quality of old.

The Focus for me, as much as i adore the 335i.

As per Gally, bizarre thread even for CS.

* Comfy & well equipped vs going round corners & interesting?
* R.e. being mistaken for for a salesman's 320d... the same joe public would mistake the FRS for a chavved up 10 year old Focus

Z4
335d for me ;)

Im after something fun!
And manual, definitely manual.

Most bmw drivers are nobs, so if you want to put yourself in that category....;)

FRS for me, special car

Already driving one so thats not a problem!

335i all day.

"Not special" *facepalm*

Its mass produced, clinical German engineering. It's awesome, but hardly a rarity.

Just seems a mental comparison. I don't really get it. The only thing they share is 4 wheels.

Its not a comparison.

Focus 1.6 Black

and an S2000

combined running costs < 335i or FRS

Because, for 99% of your driving life, more than 80hp is completely pointless

Only need one car. Why would you need a focus AND an s2000 anyway?! An s2000 is hardly mental enough to justify the outlay and upkeep of another vehicle unless doing mega miles! Both cars combined have less torque than a 335i probably lol.

The 335i will inevitably thow you a stone kicker of a bill at some point, in my opinion, bmw are residing on their build quality of old.

The Focus for me, as much as i adore the 335i.

It would, but I'll be getting a warranty!

As per Gally, bizarre thread even for CS.

* Comfy & well equipped vs going round corners & interesting?
* R.e. being mistaken for for a salesman's 320d... the same joe public would mistake the FRS for a chavved up 10 year old Focus

They're both high performance cars in the same price bracket that I like, what's hard to understand.
Anyone would think I was asking opinions about a rover 214 or a zonda ffs