ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 gti restoration thread

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Ill get some pics up soon but ive been helping my best mate fully rebuild/restore his 1.6 gti. We've fitted a 3.0 v6 up front aswell as every upgrade possible in the suspension and brake departments. Its the most stunning example ive ever clapped my eyes on now and am just jelouse its not mine. Its basically a new car. Will be quite funny to see how it behaves next to my Vee. We both have plans to fit DP engineering turbo kits to them which touch wood, should make make two ballistic road legal missiles.

tiTTy & SV650
Ill get some pics up soon but ive been helping my best mate fully rebuild/restore his 1.6 gti. We've fitted a 3.0 v6 up front aswell as every upgrade possible in the suspension and brake departments. Its the most stunning example ive ever clapped my eyes on now and am just jelouse its not mine. Its basically a new car. Will be quite funny to see how it behaves next to my Vee. We both have plans to fit DP engineering turbo kits to them which touch wood, should make make two ballistic road legal missiles.

Sounds a bit mental lol I hope you widened the rear track too?

tiTTy & SV650
Will be working under the bonnet tomorrow, think I'll take the throttle body off and the air flow meter give it a clean with some carb cleaner and remove any emulsified oil and need to bolt the battery down too as the brackets bent out of shape.

LY182/NHB CTR
lovely work and brought back lots of happy memories of my first car 1.6 205GTi big mistake selling that car :( but I couldnt afford to run the GTi and the 172 at the time.

Now I can I have been on the look out for another one but its not easy finding a good example of a GTi 1.9 these days.

My 1st car - I believe she is still going too :)

205GTi.jpg

tiTTy & SV650
Cheers.

Spent a few hours under the bonnet this afternoon and as a result I have knackered my back lol getting old.

I removed all the air intake and air flow meter and breathers and gave them a good clean I swapped the air flow meter for a refurb'd one. Also gave the throttle body a good blast with carb cleaner.

Added some new coolant as the bottle is split, I have a new one to fit but it's in a box under my desk at work and I forgot all about it. I bolted the new battery down too with a new genuine gti battery clamp off the bay of e.

Will tidy up the exhaust with some wet and dry soon and try and get a new SAD, although after a few blips of the throttle it idles pretty happily at about 900rpm anyway.

I need to have a go at fitting the new ignition barrel and fit the matching locks to the new doors and tailgate, also have the fuel cap and white trim to fit to get that back to standard.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Sounds a bit mental lol I hope you widened the rear track too?

Yeah the rear has been widened using the 309 set up but the torsion bars have been remade thicker along with thicker anti roll bar. To be honest, im not sure if its woth while with the ammount of weight upfront but we'll see. Its got bilstein coilover up front and dampers at the rear so hopefully it won't be an understeering monster.

tiTTy & SV650
Yeah the rear has been widened using the 309 set up but the torsion bars have been remade thicker along with thicker anti roll bar. To be honest, im not sure if its woth while with the ammount of weight upfront but we'll see. Its got bilstein coilover up front and dampers at the rear so hopefully it won't be an understeering monster.

ideal, I've never driven one with 309 rear end but I think the 309 was more stable as a result of it being wider, not sure if the wheelbase was any longer?

The 1.9 sure does step out if you lift off and on crappy tyres it can spin you at as little as 15mph lol notorious for good reason!

ST1050, 320d
what is this SAD you speak of? the pug im buying in a few days idles rather randomly, would this be the cause?

tiTTy & SV650
what is this SAD you speak of? the pug im buying in a few days idles rather randomly, would this be the cause?

Supplementary Air Device (Auxilliary Air Slide valve) basically part of the bosch fuel injections closed loop feedback system the valve closes when the engines hot but is open to allow more air in when cold and as a result more fuel is sent. So if its faulty the car will use more fuel.

The air flow meter between the air box and the throttle body can be tempramental too

Golf GT TDI
looks good mate i have the same combo as you:cool: 172/1.9 205 gti
here is mine
DSC00438.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

glad your keeping original orange indcators and standard rear lights.

Family Bus
Love it!

I adore 205's. Mum had one when I was a nipper, and always wanted one :(

Fantastic work!

tiTTy & SV650
cheers all.

Need to get the boot opened this weekend lol its not the same key and the central locking motor has packed in. Good excuse to fit my new tailgate and start fitting my new lockset though I figure!

Just ordered a central locking motor for a mahoosive £9

a15

Mini
looks good, glad your getting it sorted the way you want it to be. is it a white tailgate you've got?

tiTTy & SV650
Yeah the tailgate on it has either faded or isn't original (there's two different whites) so looks a bit off white, alpine white and bianca white I think it is. So the spare tailgate is POWT (Alpine White) and should look a lot tidier when on!

tiTTy & SV650
Having had a wee holiday and bought a 3rd vehicle, in the form of a Suzuki SV650, project Pug is a priority so I went to my folks to give it some attention today, the tree above it had dropped stupid amounts of blossom on it and plenty of bird crap too.

Washed, sratch x'd, polished and waxed it then left it covered up, oil change is imminent and got a bodyshop taking a look at the work required to get it pretty much mint.

Hopefully it'll be finished in the next month...

Always scrubs up quite nicelt considering its 19 years old!

Attachments

• DSC02519.jpg
    DSC02519.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 50
  tiTTy & SV650
totalled up the project costs:

£3300 to date including car purchase

Will be getting MOT'd this month and hopefully week after next it'll be getting the TLC from the bodyshop that'll make it mint.

Then look out for the FOR SALE thread.

totalled up the project costs:

£3300 to date including car purchase

Will be getting MOT'd this month and hopefully week after next it'll be getting the TLC from the bodyshop that'll make it mint.

Then look out for the FOR SALE thread.

So, has the pug cost you the same (or not far off) as the 172?

tiTTy & SV650
aye it has but the 172 is going to cost me far more so it's not the same at all. Plus I like returning a classic to the roads.

Fitted new fog lights the other day and today drove the car for the first time in a while to drop it into the bodyshop for the doors and tailgate to be fitted, should get it back in a week or two looking pretty healthy.

tiTTy & SV650
Aye good pics will be nice, with the 172 would be cool - reinact my old blue pug and blue 182 pics.

Front on (excuse the missing screw cover and rusty towing eye!):

DSC02635.jpg

And the nice fresh foglights:

DSC02631.jpg

Last edited: