ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 172 - picked up, knock- 1st gear

Phase 2 172, Megane 2,
This happens wi all 172's i have drove, think its to do with the input shaft stoppin turning when you select 1st, renault know about this and say its not a problem, got to remember these are small powerfull cars so you will get these sort of quirks wi them.

172 Mk2 Ph1
Loopz said:
hm...i get a similar knocking noise when i floor mine in 1th gear...it kicks in at about 4k revs and gets stronger when it reaches the limiter...

the odd thing is, it only does in 1th gear and only when i go full throtle...if i take it up to 7000 gently in doesn't occur...

anything related?

This is exactly the same as mine, but mine does it in 1st and 2nd on the odd occassion if I nail it, never does it when driving progressively.

I'm gonna get some uprated mounts and see if that solves it, will post when done, prob gonna be about 3 weeks from now though.

Alex

172 Mk2 Ph1
Peperami said:
That sounds like your tyres spinning and trying to regain grip mate

Dont think its the wheels spinning, although come to think of it it does do it in the wet to and that when the wheels do ocassionally spin. Damn it, gonna try the mounts and take it from there, as thats the cheapest option.

Cheers.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I get it on my 182 - I'm used to it now, just what the thing does lol... I know some people have fixed with a small mod, but I'm not really fussed about it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
my car still has it and have even changed the oil in the gearbox to fully synthetic!! Does anyone actually know what is causing the clunk knoise and whether it is doing any long term damage to the car???

thanks

80MPG BEEZA
mine doesnt make this noise i have uprated engine mounts, but gearbox does like to throw oil out of the breather when i'm gving it a few beans?

Could be clutch drag, but also check out 1st gear syncro, if its worn you will get this. You would not experience in other gears because the syncro hubs are doing their stuff. Take it back buddy at tell 'em to fix it.

thanks for the reply. My car has had a new gearbox already. The service manager says that it isn't clutch drag as its not doing it when you put it in reverse so i don't know whether to believe him or not anymore.
He has also said that he is confident that it is not doing any long term damage to my car but i am not so sure so would if be a good idea to get this in writing from him to cover myself once car is out of warranty??

Is there anything i can say to the garage as now they are saying that it is a "charactistic" of the car, which i am not happy with as i don't believe that all 172's make this clunk in first gear!!!

Is there anybody on here or a Renault mechanic on here that i can have a quick chat with to get there advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Yea I get it on my 172 also. Sound like exhaust banging on the bottom but can feel it a little through the clutch pedal. Only just started doing it, gunna get the garage to check the bottom Dogbone Mounts this week and fix it if it an't too dear.

TDI tyre shreader
its axle tramp, nearly every fwd car ive ever driven does it just more evident in a 172 etc due to more power even my 65bhp renault kangoo does it!!!! (well just about!!!!)

Leon Cupra 300
Batman said:
mine doesnt make this noise i have uprated engine mounts, but gearbox does like to throw oil out of the breather when i'm gving it a few beans?

where did yuo get your mounts from?

172 Mk2 Ph1
People now think it may be the dogbone mount, im in the process of changing mine and ill let you know how it goes...

172 Mk2 Ph1
didnt work, replaced with the straight dog mone mount and bushes, as apparently this is a replacement for the twisted mount for exactly that reason, gonna look at the top mounts and slide them forward to see if this helps.

I have an update on this problem and just thought i would share it. I emailed a "Technical Expert" who works at the Renault Sport division about the 1st gear clunk problem and he has come back with something else that could be the cause. My car is now booked into the dealers for the 8th November to have this looked at and will keep you posted. Below is his reply. Please let me know what you guys think ?

"Hi there, I have referred your case to Renault Customer Services. So they should be in contact with you. Also since you have mentioned about your gearbox being replaced, this action would have replaced the first gear syncro hub. But one area that might have been overlooked was the crankshaft spigot bearing, which supports the input shaft and if it is tight it will transmit a small amount of drive / drag to the gearbox input shaft giving similar symptoms. Regards,"

If there are any Renault Mechanics out there please can you confirm that a mk2 172 actually has a "Crankshaft Spigot Bearing" as i have been told by a dealers RTE that they don't??

Megane Trophy
Mine does it as well, doesnt affect the car and think its something to do with the selector not the engine mount

untill it breaks i wont fix it ha ha

ive had a dog bone engine mount replaced and still get this problem. I think fred from yozzasprt knows a fix with just using some washers.

has anyone found a cure for this annoying problem yet ? Any idea what fix fred from yozzasport knows about ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Live with it, it the cars character. Every one i've been in does it, its not the end of the world matey ;)

Renault Clio sport
hm...i get a similar knocking noise when i floor mine in 1th gear...it kicks in at about 4k revs and gets stronger when it reaches the limiter...

the odd thing is, it only does in 1th gear and only when i go full throtle...if i take it up to 7000 gently in doesn't occur...

anything related?
Exactly the same as me,, would like help too lol

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Holy thread resurrection ! It's common for the manifold to hit the ARB when the dog mount is worn. A few of the 182 manifolds where bashed in to stop knock.

Renault Clio sport
Holy thread resurrection ! It's common for the manifold to hit the ARB when the dog mount is worn. A few of the 182 manifolds where bashed in to stop knock.
You were correct took it to a garage and it is exactly that, just going to save up and a phrase the polybushes