ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2001 172 Starting Issues...Crank Sensor? Please Help!!

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum malarky so please bear with me, I have tried a search but I can't seem to find any threads which the same strange problem that I have...

For a while now my 2001 172 has had starting issues, now and again, mainly when quite cold weather, if left over night or something, when trying to turn over it will stop trying to start after 2 or 3 seconds and if it doesn't fire up the 1st time it will just do the same thing no matter how many times you try until the battery eventually goes flat.

I've had various mechanics/RAC men have a look and tell me its the crank sensor, I've replaced the crank sensor 3 times now and also the plug that it plugs into twice with genuine renault parts and after about a month or so of starting fine exactly the same problem comes back again.

When the RAC mechanics have come to have a look after about half an hour or so of playing about with various things the car will start but none of them seem to know exactly what they have done to make it start or how all of a sudden it will start.

Does anybody have any experience in this or have any ideas of what the problem may be or how to sort it? Or even know any way of resetting the ecu or something of that sort just so I can get the car started to get it to a garage? There must be some way of starting it but the RAC just don't seem to know what it is, its not as if the cars completely broken and unable to start...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Lee

Mk1 16v brooklands
Try a new battery, normally if the crank sensor was fucked it wouldnt even turn over, it would just be dead

A.N. Other
You should probably get a proper diagnostics check done by Renault or someone with a decent diag. kit, to check for any fault codes logged. I had a (simple 1L) 106 with a knackered crank sensor, but the car ran fine and only flashed the ecu warning light for about 30mins indicating a fault, on a 4hour trip. Was only when I plugged in a diag. reader that the fault was found.