ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 to Fiesta ST

Sorry if old hat.

Anyone done this, 'proper 200' to new ST? Sideways step? Worth it?

IMO the Clio looks much better but I'm attracted to the 'fun' part of the ST. The 200 is quite serious after coming from a Trophy.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I did it also. They drive very very similar however the extra grunt from the ST engine and economy make a big difference.

Also feel the interior is much much better in the ST.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
One of the issues I have with the ST & it's not an issue with the car as such it's more that they seem to be literally everywhere where I live.

It's seriously like every man & his dog

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What N0ddie says ^^^ is bang on.

Similar driving experience, similar overall pace, but with the ST it is much easier to make progress.

Heated windscreen and heated seats also made my commute this morning a very pleasant experience.

I've only seen one other one on the roads so far.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's possibly an unfair comparison as the 200 feels a tad dated in comparison to the ST.

No brainer for me, especially the mpg in the 200/197, I literally couldn't justify that to myself.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I'd give it a year or so. With the amount of ST's sold, their prices will probably plumet soon.

All in all the ST is the better car on paper, but I'd still pick a 200. My rational for this, having not driven a new ST, is the exclusivity of the 200. Everytime I drive mine, I feel like I'm drivign soemthing special, and you can tell people are looking at it wondering about it etc. I'd pick that over a Fiesta 100%.

And re-fuel, covered lots of times, you don't buy a hot hatch for fuel efficiency, but each to their own!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...the exclusivity of the 200. Everytime I drive mine, I feel like I'm drivign soemthing special, and you can tell people are looking at it wondering about it etc.

LOL really?

Where is it you drive where people turn and stare in wonderment?

I did 30k miles in my 200 and never once felt this; to 99.9% of people who see it, it's just a Clio, exactly the same as my ST is just a Fiesta.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Actually I think economy is definitely on the list of things to worry about in a hot hatch. Maybe not whether it does 30 or 35mpg. But if you start talking about 25mpg i can think of a lot of cars I would rather take (even if a little older to match purchase prices)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
LOL really?

Where is it you drive where people turn and stare in wonderment?

I did 30k miles in my 200 and never once felt this; to 99.9% of people who see it, it's just a Clio, exactly the same as my ST is just a Fiesta.

Yep, really. Very very rarely see another, and it's clearly not like other clio's with the front and back end being quite 'loud'. My personal opinion and experience.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Agree and dissagree with the above. Yeah the 200 feels more special than a normal one & to those who know what it is for example. But to a lot of people they either don't know what it is, or it's just a clio.

I considered the jump to an ST, but I really don't think it's as special as a fully-specced 200.

MPG is a minus on the 200 but that's no reason to spend double the amount for an ST imo.

Probably for the reasons mentioned above, you just don't see as many 200's around compared to ST's and definitely won't in future.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's all about the deals. The ST is crap though. All the journos said so...

You missed the fact that ALL tests so far comparing the ST with what else is out there hot-hatch wise have it leading the class. MPG and price are factors for sure, but they are far from the sole reason these cars are everywhere.

I did. The majority of the public don't read car reviews though i'd hazard a guess. They see a top of the range fiesta on a good finance deal.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cant compare, one is an NA screamer last of the old school, ST is a soft turbo with lots of power low in the revs but runs out of puff quickly..

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
...ST is a soft turbo with lots of power low in the revs but runs out of puff quickly..

Err, no they don't. I've recently started hitting the limiter more and more in mine.

When new, it noticeably ran out of urge over 5,500 rpm...no need to watch the rev counter, you could very easily feel when it stopped accelerating as it approached the limiter.

Now mine's properly run in (7,500 miles) I don't get that any more...it pulls through the last 1,500 rpm just as strongly as it does elsewhere in the rev range, and there's certainly no running out of puff...hence me getting caught out by it every now and then.

Mark, you know your stuff you wouldn't have bought it if it didn't add up to be a great drive, remember where we are though, I'm Renault Sport through and through but this ST seems be where RS was, can't wait for 3 years to pass and pick one up for £7.5k.

I swear if I ever read "NA screamer" again on a Clio forum, my head will explode. They don't even rev. They are not happy revving. Yes the 200 engine is better than the 182 in this regard, but I feel this is probably due to better engine mounts and sound deadening. It is not an engine that spins like a Honda vtec. It's just that you need to maximise the revs in order to actually move.

I've had two high power turbo cars since my Clio, and both spin to the redline, with more gusto, and MUCH more urge than any Clio I've ever driven, including the 200.

The Clio is a great car, but it is not an "NA screamer".

Last edited:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
In all seriousness, I am quite liking the ST now, still not 100% keen on the looks but theres no doubt which would be the better car to own.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I swear if I ever read "NA screamer" again on a Clio forum, my head will explode. They don't even rev. They are not happy revving. Yes the 200 engine is better than the 182 in this regard, but I feel this is probably due to better engine mounts and sound deadening. It is not an engine that spins like a Honda vtec. It's just that you need to maximise the revs in order to actually move.

I've had two high power turbo cars since my Clio, and both spin to the redline, with more gusto, and MUCH more urge than any Clio I've ever driven, including the 200.

The Clio is a great car, but it is not an "NA screamer".

Feel better now, big guy?