ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 vs 172

172 ff silver
can anyone link me to a review of these cars pitted against each other?

i saw a chart on here once of loads of different cars timed around a track iirc

thanks

its just my mate reckons the new 197's are a world away from the 172's in performance and i said no way

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Round a track, quite a bit quicker I think...

In a straight line, 172 ph1 or cup would be slightly quicker I think.

not had a look for a few months but i think there's a section in the back of EVO mag that lists different car's times around the same track. i might have the wrong source but i *think* they figured the 197 quicker (due to chassis) by 2-3 seconds - an age in terms of competitive driving but nothing in real terms

just out of interest, had a look whilst i was in the SPAR; EVO have the R27 at about 1.5s quicker around whichever Bedford track it is they use (1.30ish lap) - compared with the 182Cup; and the Trophy slower still by about 0.5s (all dry laps i think). consistency in car, conditions and driver is all important but impossible to ensure in comparisons like this; it's obviously not an exact science but there would appear to be little in it in real terms

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nope nothing in it straight line tbh. I had my at the time standard 182 up against a 197 and it was nip and tuck tbh!!!!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yeah I agree me and my mate went out today to have a bit of fun and between my 197 and his 172 for straightline speed it was all about who got on the power 1st. didn't test handling due to typical wetness so couldn't say about that really.

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
just out of interest, had a look whilst i was in the SPAR; EVO have the R27 at about 1.5s quicker around whichever Bedford track it is they use (1.30ish lap) - compared with the 182Cup; and the Trophy slower still by about 0.5s (all dry laps i think). consistency in car, conditions and driver is all important but impossible to ensure in comparisons like this; it's obviously not an exact science but there would appear to be little in it in real terms

They've also tested a 106 Gti in 1min 30 seconds which according to the listings makes it quicker than any Clio - it's b****cks.

I wouldn't pay any attention whatsoever to those figures but I understand the point you're making.

Turbo LY R27
i love these vs threads lol. 197 owners pick 197, and the 172s pick the 172. Guess which gets my vote lol. both good, 1 rattles 1 doesnt.:)

Mk4 .:R32
i'm a 172 owner and I personally think the 197 is better in pretty much ever department to be honest. Nice linear power delivery in my bro's 197, prob no faster in a straight line, but still a better car all round defo. They cut too many corners with the 172

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
i'm a 172 owner and I personally think the 197 is better in pretty much ever department to be honest. Nice linear power delivery in my bro's 197, prob no faster in a straight line, but still a better car all round defo. They cut too many corners with the 172

In what way do you think Renault cut corners with the 172 then?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
you caould say that about all old models to be fair. standards and expectations change

Mk4 .:R32

In what way do you think Renault cut corners with the 172 then?

crap brakes (should have been brembo's like the 197s), poor handling as standard despite what most like to think, unsupportive seats, bad build (lots of buzzing...rattles etc)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I think the brakes on the MK2's are good tbh, just because they are not Brembo's doesnt mean they are poop.;) The single thing that lets the MK2 down is the seats, and driving position/huuuge steering wheel. Truley w**k, and in no way in keeping at what the car is good at. I also disagree with 'crap handling in standard form'. All Cup models are fantastic for a standard set up.

I've had / got both.

The 172 is a great car and the 197 builds on its success. The main difference is more confident handling (remembering that the 172 was ace anyway) and a big step forward in perceived quality. Braking is marginally better, but again it was great on the 172.

The 197 is obviously 15% heavier and I don't think that a skilled 172 driver would allow a 197 to make much of a gap anywhere on road or track - the 197 driver would just be sweating less and more comfortable.

172 cup
All the reviews iv seen said that 197 lacks the "grunt" that the 1*2 had.... Iv never been in a 197 so cant comment personally

This talk of a "lack" of grunt is a bit silly really, especially when people often comment on the lack of 5k-kick in the 197 in the same breath! They're all variants of the same high-revving engine that at its best when above 5k revs.

The 197 has continuous VVT, so you notice the torque coming on strong with part-throttle between 2-3,000rpm; stonger than I remember the 172 and 182.

Golf 7R
Yes i slightly miss the raw feel of my cup. If im honest all the other good qualitys make up for it... The handling / Grip / Looks. Its no quicker or slower than my cup that i can feel, but corners a lot faster and stops a hell of a lot quicker, and its loosening up nicely!