ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 R27...

Came across one in my 182 the other day, and he pulled about a car length maybe slightly more on me upto 100, is that about right or should i be closer ? :(

Rob

Perfectly straight road, changeing on the shift light, before i get i cant drive blah blah

It's because 197s are "slower". ;)

People who owned 16Vs and Williams (including me) were saying that 172s were slow when they came out - RS engines loosen-up a lot!

R27s and the FF 197 are no different power-wise.

Golf 7R
Is about right. I had a play with a 172 cup last night, no car gained anything dramatic on the straights, but the cup driver did comment on how good the 197 handled and looked!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
fairly close id have thought so a small gap isnt that much of a shock and to be expected id have thought?

Turbo LY R27
Ive had the same in my r27, me and a mate at the lights i beat him by about half a car length and then we swapt cars, im a quicker driver than him and out of the bends when he was driving my r27 i couldnt accelerate faster in the 182, the r27 was def quicker. Mines on 12k now and feels a lot better to drive. We all new this day would come eventually lol.;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol i knew this from day f**king one, lol, mine goes like a fucknig bullet now i have hit 19k.

kicks the arse out of the chav chariots.

time to re-finance bhoys and get yourselfs a peice of the future ;)

Glacier White 200
Ive had the same in my r27, me and a mate at the lights i beat him by about half a car length and then we swapt cars, im a quicker driver than him and out of the bends when he was driving my r27 i couldnt accelerate faster in the 182, the r27 was def quicker. Mines on 12k now and feels a lot better to drive. We all new this day would come eventually lol.;)

LOL

Couldn't agree with that comment more.

I'm having so much fun in my R27, since selling the 172 I've never looked back.

The car gets better on economy, sound and speed the more miles it covers.

197 abuse makes me chuckle, cause we're having so much fun!

ST
lol i knew this from day f**king one, lol, mine goes like a f**knig bullet now i have hit 19k.

LOL

Couldn't agree with that comment more.

I'm having so much fun in my R27, since selling the 172 I've never looked back.

The car gets better on economy, sound and speed the more miles it covers.

197 abuse makes me chuckle, cause we're having so much fun!

+1..

Turbo LY R27
lol i knew this from day f**king one, lol, mine goes like a f**knig bullet now i have hit 19k.

He speakith the truth!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I was thrapping the Cup I test drove yesterday and I went round every bend and thought "To be fair, I could've gone round there 30mph quicker". Chassis was unbeleiveable.

Dan

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh, all the straight line arguments are pointless. This car is basically unbeleivable when you drive it on a proper XC jaunt. It really does make the 182 whimper into submission.

Glacier White 200
In my experience of owning both a 172 and R27 I would say a well run in 197 is faster than a standard 172.

The 197 is much more resourceful with its power than previous models. It doesn't torque steer or wheel spin when you pull away. Acceleration is precise, pinpoint compared to 172/182's.

I have owned both and my R27 is like a fuckin rocket at 10k now.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
tbh, all the straight line arguments are pointless. This car is basically unbeleivable when you drive it on a proper XC jaunt. It really does make the 182 whimper into submission.

15_womens_fishing.jpg

;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i disagree tbh Warren, i actually find the 197 more fun.

lol @ R20CWH, a wee bit of bait, yeah fosho, but who doesn't in these threads. Ultimately i do believe heavily in my sentiment.

ST
197 more capable
182 more fun

You've driven a 197/R27 to make that judgement??

I've owned both, i'd never go back to a 182, handling is good tho its far too twitchy at high speed cross country where hot hatches are supposed to excel...

197 is totally planted in 99% of situations/conditions and can show up more 'expensive' machinery without too much trouble..

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Each to there own opinion lads! Stop getting sooooo defensive. Most articles I've read come to a similar conclusion (even the original clio fan-mag Evo), and yes I have driven a 197/R27. I love the way they look, great interior, really wanted to like them, was looking to buy one, but was dissapointed by it. It may be as quick when run-in, but due to the weight/refinement it doesn't feel as quick. Reminded me of the BMW's that I've driven, in that they feel utterly orrdinary until you get to 8/10ths. The 172, feels torquier, has more steering feel, and due it's lack of refinement feels more alive. We all want different things from our cars, for me a hot hatch should be a bit nervous, it should give you sweaty palms and up your pulse rate at sensible speeds. In a country where speed is punished and fuel costs rise exponentially, I don't see the value in a car that gives worse fuel economy for the same speed, and requires caning to feel alive.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
197 more capable
182 more fun

You've driven a 197/R27 to make that judgement??

I've owned both, i'd never go back to a 182, handling is good tho its far too twitchy at high speed cross country where hot hatches are supposed to excel...

197 is totally planted in 99% of situations/conditions and can show up more 'expensive' machinery without too much trouble..

Exactly my issue with the car. I loved my 306rallye because it felt edgy and a bit dangerous. And I don't really care if I can 'show up' other drivers, like to think I'm past that.

i kno where u coming from warren.

as a ex 182 owner (now 197 owner) the 182 excited me more in certain situations, the experience was a lot rawer.

depends what u want from a car. If u crave ultimate grip then the 197 is brilliant.

The 182 was more edge of your seat...

Would i go back to a 182 tho?

Never. the 197 is technically a much much better car.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i kno where u coming from warren.

as a ex 182 owner (now 197 owner) the 182 excited me more in certain situations, the experience was a lot rawer.

depends what u want from a car. If u crave ultimate grip then the 197 is brilliant.

The 182 was more edge of your seat...

Would i go back to a 182 tho?

Never. the 197 is technically a much much better car.

Agree with that. It's just that the points that some people like (grip>grunt, composed, refined) are negatives to me, and vice versa (poor build quality, nervous chassis) on the 172 are what I love (bar the build quality!).

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Randomly pulling my irrelevent experience into this heh - I feel as though I could have more fun in a 197 than the Vee. The Vee turns more heads and driving it is more of an 'event' - I don't think anyone would disagree with me there? And if you're a driving god it arguably will outhandle the 197 - but I'm not heh, so I never really dare get to 10/10ths because I don't wanna throw it. But the beauty of the Vee is it's fun at 1/10th as well :) That said, I suspect if/when I own a 197 and really get some miles with it, I'll be firmly set in the "nothing else compares dymanically" camp - which to be fair, I'm almost in anyway and I only drove it for half an hour...

Dan