ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 R27...

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
It's because 197s are "slower". ;)

People who owned 16Vs and Williams (including me) were saying that 172s were slow when they came out - RS engines loosen-up a lot!

R27s and the FF 197 are no different power-wise.
lol gearboxes too!!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
The Vee turns more heads and driving it is more of an 'event' - I don't think anyone would disagree with me there? And if you're a driving god it arguably will outhandle the 197
Dan

tbh, i have no idea on that point... but i never really thought the vee was reknown for it's excellent handling. if anything it was a bit ''nervy'' (the most diplomatic way i could say it ;))

i'd agree that a 197 is more fun to drive than a Vee.

The 197 has more 'chuckability' factor

whereas the Vee is more of a measured and controlled experience, where you're very aware of the weight over the rear and are more delicate with your inputs.

but the sense of occasion in a Vee can't be matched.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Anyone could jump into a 197 and drive quickly, try and drive a vee near its limits and it'll kill you if you don't know what your doing. As for the vee experience, amazing! I can't think of any car sub 30k that has the same.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The Vee turns more heads and driving it is more of an 'event' - I don't think anyone would disagree with me there? And if you're a driving god it arguably will outhandle the 197
Dan

tbh, i have no idea on that point... but i never really thought the vee was reknown for it's excellent handling. if anything it was a bit ''nervy'' (the most diplomatic way i could say it ;))

Me neither really, but driving gods always say RWD FTW heh. The Vee does have a monumental amount of grip though. I don't think I'm really a good enough driver to say either way though to be honest - me crossing the limits in the Vee would mean a biblical accident heh, Tiff Needell crossing it's limits would probably just be a small slide...

Dan

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah fosho. You fancy buying my 197 + cash for a swap for your vee? ;) Always fancied a vee.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Mine is for sale, and I am looking for a 197 hehe ;) If you read the 'revised gearbox' thread - you'll see why. Although really, I want an R27, and I have a man coming to view her soon who is very interested so it might be already sold dude! Although, it can't hurt for you to PM the spec and what you'd be aiming for deal wise, in case this deal falls through :p

Dan

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah tbh, you want the revised box. i do pull some big RPM's on my normal motorway cruise ;)

Glacier White 200
Dan

After all the praise the 197 has had for its chassis and all of the negative reports I've heard about the phase 1 v6 chassis I'd be surprised if it could touch a 197 on the corners.

I thought one of the flaws of both V6's was the lack of turning circle to catch the backend when it breaks out meaning no driver would really have complete control when the car is really pushed.

The turn in response on the 197 is so sharp, the car doesn't understeer at all whereas I was lead to believe the ph1 and ph2 V6 would understeer and plough through a corner if you hit it too hard.

I'm not dissing the V6 cause they're sexy cars, but the chassis on the 197 is years ahead.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
The ph2 understeers a lot more than the Ph1 - that turns in as well as you like - unfortunately the back sometimes doesn't follow hehe :) The problem is, to get the best of out it, you have to pretty darn talented, and most buyers, myself included, aren't heh!

Having thought a bit more about it though, I'd retract that comment to 'if you're good you could probably have more lairy fun with a vee'.

Dan

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I'm a fan of the 197, but the fuel econmy really puts me off.

I know the 197 has a lot more to offer than just performance but I woundn't want to swap a car with similar performance and much worse fuel econmy.

I love how I can thrap my ph1 and still return 35-36mpg.

Glacier White 200
I'm a fan of the 197, but the fuel econmy really puts me off.

I know the 197 has a lot more to offer than just performance but I woundn't want to swap a car with similar performance and much worse fuel econmy.

I love how I can thrap my ph1 and still return 35-36mpg.

That's a fair comment especially in these times although in response to that I would say that you are getting alot more car with the 197. It's not just about the speed and handling, it's alot less tiring to drive than the 1*2. Pulling away is smooth with no jumpiness or torque steer, bump damping is sooo much better, seating position, space, feel and comfort adds alot to the package.

At 10k running on good fuel our R27 is returning about 27-28mpg when ragging around town. Longer trips cruising on the a roads and motorways and you'll see about 35mpg.

Personally I think for the amount of car you're getting it's not too bad a deal with petrol, once it's run in.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
^^^

That's reassuring to know :) Do you have any problems with kangerooing it, or is it just case of getting used to it?

Dan

Glacier White 200
Not anymore unless the car is really cold but if you leave it standing for 30-40 seconds it never happens.

It used to sometimes kangaroo at random times in 2nd or 1st when driving really slowly. I can only put this down to the engine not being fully ran in, although now it never does this.

I honest cannot find many flaws with the car, even with the old gearbox if you sit at 70mph yeah it revs at 3.6k but because of the tuning of the exhaust it's practically silent! The rasp seems to happen between certain speeds and then dies off at like 60mph and increases upto 70mph and then dies off at 70mph again.

I hope that makes sense, it seems they've tuned the acoustics to be louder at certain points which is quite clever.

I've realised that the smaller tuned up engine and tighter ratio's is not really a flaw, with such a nice gearbox and sound it's just a charactaristic of the car that you learn about and then fall in love with.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good, thanks for your input :)

Cruise control standard on the R27 yea?

Dan

Tappd'd RS
I managed 36mpg in an R27 yesterday on a motorway run, cruise control set at 70.

Couldn't believe it!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
R27 is a bit quicker than the standard 197 am I right?

No

Ive had the same in my r27, me and a mate at the lights i beat him by about half a car length and then we swapt cars, im a quicker driver than him and out of the bends when he was driving my r27 i couldnt accelerate faster in the 182, the r27 was def quicker. Mines on 12k now and feels a lot better to drive. We all new this day would come eventually lol.;)

LOL

Couldn't agree with that comment more.

I'm having so much fun in my R27, since selling the 172 I've never looked back.

The car gets better on economy, sound and speed the more miles it covers.

197 abuse makes me chuckle, cause we're having so much fun!

+1..

+2

This day has been coming for a loooong time lol.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
We've shared 197 love from back in the day. The sheep will follow ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
The vee is showing 19mpg at the moment heh. Been doing a lot of town time and short trips.

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
See, I'm looking around vaguely at 197/R27s 2nd hand, and I do find something like this -

http://www.lookers.co.uk/cars/used/RENAULT/CLIO/132698

Really hard to see a downside too. Just because it's a Cup, I can get Recaros, Nimbus, A/C, the revised gearbox and a 57 plate car with 4k on it, for sub £12k... Strikes me as a amazing VFM... Still, I should stop looking, I'm not in a position to buy yet!

Dan

Megane R26
See, I'm looking around vaguely at 197/R27s 2nd hand, and I do find something like this -

http://www.lookers.co.uk/cars/used/RENAULT/CLIO/132698

Really hard to see a downside too. Just because it's a Cup, I can get Recaros, Nimbus, A/C, the revised gearbox and a 57 plate car with 4k on it, for sub £12k... Strikes me as a amazing VFM... Still, I should stop looking, I'm not in a position to buy yet!

Dan

Interesting thread, I am really starting to like the 197, and seeing prices like that I am staggered.

One will replace my Fiesta ST within a year :)

Are all of the R27's sold now?