ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Gearboxes

This one ^ (someday)
Seriously looking at 197s now and have got an ideal spec together;
Not worried about Colour
Cup Packs
Recaros
Xenons

But i know that the more recent 197s had a longer ratio gearbox, when were they first introduced/how do I tell if a car has one?

Belts; When are they due?

I've got about £6000 and there seem to be a good few examples about for my money!

Thanks,

Tim

P.S Anything else i should note when buying?

Focus RS
Re: 197 Gearbox's

As far as I can tell, the later box was introduced at the end of 2007. It should sit at 3500 at 70. The earlier box sits at about 3800-4000..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2

Mines an October 2007 R27, it sits at 3500rpm at 70mph, so i'm asuming I have the later 'box?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

the later box mustve been introduced with the r27s then^^

best way to tell is to drive at 70 in 6th... it should be around 3.5k

belts are 72k miles or 5 years

this one is a bit above budget but its been up a while so you may be able to get money off.

hero spec (bar the cup chassis as its 06)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/postcode/ch659aj/radius/1500?logcode=p

listen for crunches between 3rd and 4th gear above 5krpm... that indicates the box is on its way out

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

Off topic a little,

my 200 is 3200 @ 70

is it longer again than the later 197's?

This one ^ (someday)

Ok so end of 2007 onwards it is!

So if i buy a 197 Cup i will definitely have the longer box?

I'm tempted by a Cup as they seem to be a bit cheaper, can someone explain the spec differences to me please and can i get one with Recaros?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

So if i buy a 197 Cup i will definitely have the longer box?

Yes. Which is exactly why i bought one.

They are basic spec though, mine had no aircon either, but did have Recaros. Steering wheel and dash are more plasticy/poverty spec though iirc, doorcards are different (albeit better as the handle is in the middle of the door instead of at the front), no cruise/climate, etc. Black door handles & side strips etc.

My old one:

13.jpg

3.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

197 cups are the 'cheap' ones; they have black plastic side strips, hard plastic dashes, standard nasty lights, no climate, no cruise and no auto... And different door cards

197s can be had with the cup chassis (from 57/08) have the soft touch dash, come with climate and cruise, auto lights and wipers etc

you can have recaros on the cup and the normal 197

r27s introduced the cup chassis in 07, they're basically a 197 with the cup chassis and recaro options ticked. Ly is an option on r27s.

i went for the r27 because they come with recaros as standard and were available in ly so then I just had to find one with the other options I wanted (climate, xenons with cornering lights etc)

320d

197 Cup's have woeful spec. I can see the point in 172 Cup's as they're actually lighter but in reality is there any difference between a Cup packed 197 or a Cup?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

R27
IMG_7635.jpg

Identified by the decals/ly paint/recaros/cup chassis (red brembos & Anth wheels)

media2.jpg

body coloured side strips, early ones don't have cup chassis, soft touch dash

197cup
n757874376_1353204_1285.jpg

Plastic side strips and wing mirror covers, cup chassis and 'cheap' interior

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

197 Cup's have woeful spec. I can see the point in 172 Cup's as they're actually lighter but in reality is there any difference between a Cup packed 197 or a Cup?

Cups were £1k cheaper when buying new iirc

the 172cup was the only 'cup' worth buying. The rest were just cheap versions of the 'normal' car with the cup chassis

This one ^ (someday)

I'd love an R27 but i think they're just a bit too high for my budget.

I think i'll have to stick with an FF 197 then and just wait and see if one comes up with the right spec!

Do R27s definitely have the long ratio box? (I'm sure somebody answered this)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

No they dont. Was phased in half way through iirc.

Because they are cheaper basically, i paid £6400 from Steve at RSport in March this year for a nimbus '57 plate with 30k miles, a new gearbox & Recaros. At the time, an R27 was £8.5k. Come to think of it, that would have been a cheap car even now lol.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

I'd love an R27 but i think they're just a bit too high for my budget.

I think i'll have to stick with an FF 197 then and just wait and see if one comes up with the right spec!

My 57 plate r27 does, Chrisgti said his 07 plate r27 has it too in this thread

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2

My 57 plate r27 does, Chrisgti said his 07 plate r27 has it too in this thread

Mines 57 plate, October 2007.

In terms of price, you will get an R27 in that budget. I paid just under 6k for mine 6 months ago. Ok so mileage was a tad high at 57k and the belts are due now but even still I was pleased at the price.

This one ^ (someday)

The cup suspension is identifiable by the anthracite wheels and red brembo callipers, yes?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Mines 57 plate, October 2007.

In terms of price, you will get an R27 in that budget. I paid just under 6k for mine 6 months ago. Ok so mileage was a tad high at 57k and the belts are due now but even still I was pleased at the price.

ah, i read that wrong sorry.

The cup suspension is identifiable by the anthracite wheels and red brembo callipers, yes?

yup :)

This one ^ (someday)

Thanks so much for that, the middle one is a bit higher mileage than i'd of liked and i've seen it already on piston heads.

That top one is perfect!

That R27 will need the belts doing almost straight away though won't it?

Leon Cupra 300

The Cup uses a normal key which is one less thing to go wrong...

Although looks are subjective, IMO it looks the best by miles specially in white. The black bits really helping to break it up. Looks really purposeful.

Who cares about the dashboard lol. The FF dash is still w**k compared to a 3 series etc..

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

All 197s will have them due this year or next. Ask the seller if they'll do the belts or knock £600 off the price

mine was due belts when I bought it and I got the dealer to pay rstuning to change them :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

The Cup uses a normal key which is one less thing to go wrong...

Although looks are subjective, IMO it looks the best by miles specially in white. The black bits really helping to break it up. Looks really purposeful.

Who cares about the dashboard lol. The FF dash is still w**k compared to a 3 series etc..

You can always spray/wrap the side bits black...

Forgot about that, the keyless entry and go is a novelty that still hasn't worn off :approve:

nobody is comparing French hatches to German barges

Mini JCW

Forgot about that, the keyless entry and go is a novelty that still hasn't worn off :approve:

Nobody is comparing French hatches to German barges

Agreed.

The keyless entry never went wrong when I had my 197 either.

This one ^ (someday)

I think i'm going to contact the owner of that Black R27 and see if they'll knock a few quid off for the cam belts, how much do we reckon 4/500? Cam belts are £600 aren't they

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2

I think i'm going to contact the owner of that Black R27 and see if they'll knock a few quid off for the cam belts, how much do we reckon 4/500? Cam belts are £600 aren't they

No harm in asking, but it is extremely cheap as it is, if it were me selling I wouldn't budge on that.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Done 6.5k in my 200 now. Box seems alright still..... Did they change the box syncro's? I'm sure I read somewhere Renault changed something later on in the 200's....

No doubt mine will eventually need a box replacement seeing as everyone elses have lol.