ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 exhaust advice

Black 197
Ok so my middle silencer developed a hole :S

I decided that as funds were tight i didnt want to splash out on a new exhaust just yet so i drove to a local exhaust fitting centre and had them cut off the middle silencer and weld in a straight pipe

BAD MISTAKE !!

Not only has it developed a mother of all flat spot between 2.5k and 3k it also sounds like a rally car on steroids :(

Obviously i want a new exhaust so have decided that a cat back system is my best bet and i'm swinging towards the Milltek tbh as build quality is supposed to be good and they dont sound too bad either, This is what i'm thinking of buying

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2802

Hopefully this will dissapate the flat spot and add a nice sporty tone too

Discuss

BMW M135i
I wuv my milltek tbh, its the only exhaust i've ever had that 100% fits properly for a start no messing involved. Quality is good and so is the sound, just wish it was a bit louder but I think its got more to do with the cars sound deadaning than the exhaust really.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I would go for a yozzasport one instead of the milltek based on my experiences unless the quality has improved on the Milltek.

Lovely car on the page.;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Milltek are one of the best manufacturers of exhausts imo. The fit (after fitting a few) is superb, no hassle at all lines up perfect on any car i've fitted it to.

Last one being an R32, they also hold sound well until you open them up about maybe 3.5k on most cars then it becomes a lovely sound.

Definitely not too intrusive imo.

Black 197
I would go for a yozzasport one instead of the milltek based on my experiences unless the quality has improved on the Milltek.

Lovely car on the page.;)

Thank's for the reply, I've heard Milltek have improved ten fold so i'm definately swinging in that direction, I defo do not want a yozzasport though tbh - They are ear bleeding loud iirc and to me sound like a chav mobile

Milltek are one of the best manufacturers of exhausts imo. The fit (after fitting a few) is superb, no hassle at all lines up perfect on any car i've fitted it to.

Last one being an R32, they also hold sound well until you open them up about maybe 3.5k on most cars then it becomes a lovely sound.

I knew you'd come to my rescue

So you reckon the Milltek is good then.. I actually love the sound on the 197 in the vid - any louder and i'd shy away.. I hate loud chavvy exhausts with a passion

Thanks for the replies

<3 Gally x

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Always <3'ing!

Milltek gives the best of both worlds imo. The rest I think are droney or too loud all the time Yozza/

Black 197
Take one standard 197 exhaust

Remove the middle silencer

=

Ear bleeding loud, Flat spot between 2-3k :(

Not happy.. Havent taken it on the motorway since but i suppose when i go to K-Tec to get it done it'll not be an enjoyable drive

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
If they have improved then it would be quite good. Mine melted the diffuser which meant I wasn't very pleased. lol

I done 2k to Le Mans WSR right after I got mine and was quite pleased with the noise. Have you seen the other vids on their site?

Black 197
If they have improved then it would be quite good. Mine melted the diffuser which meant I wasn't very pleased. lol

I done 2k to Le Mans WSR right after I got mine and was quite pleased with the noise. Have you seen the other vids on their site?

Oh dear :S

Definately don't want my diffuser melting

If i'm honest i haven't searched for many vids as i've been pretty busy but i will defo have a look for some later

The sound of the exhaust on the K-tec vid is just right for me, I don't want chavvy loud or anything that will fall apart with the first start of the engine

Hopefully i won't regret buying the Milltek

Nimbus 197
does it really sound that bad without the middle box? I was actually thinking of doing this! :(

Black 197
does it really sound that bad without the middle box? I was actually thinking of doing this! :(

My 182 sounded very good without its centre section and was hoping the 197 would sound ok

I read all the threads regarding De-cats and flat spots so as i was keeping the cat still i expected it to add a tiny bit more noise and still have the benefit of no flat spots etc

WRONG !

Flat spot is there at 2k-3k and it sounds like a rasberry on crack if im honest... Raspy is an understatement and i hate it beyond belief.. Even the blow in the middle section sounded better tbh

I definately was not expecting a flat spot to appear so the sooner i get a new exhaust the better

My advice would be not to do it tbh mate as it's ruined the car for me at the moment

Black 197
Sounds like mine a little bit tbh but mine i wouls say is a lil more raspy

Mine does pop and bang like that but i dont like it

Am i wierd lol

RS CLIO 197
you sure they didnt remove the cat as well......

as the centre silencer is only a straight through type and this should not have to much effect on back pressure etc to cause a flat spot

Black 197
110%

cat is still there

I've been under the car and seen the work my self... silencer gone and straight pipe put in place

its defo back pressure related imo as the 197 back box is a single flat looking section.. the 182's have 2 boxes which is better for back pressure or so i was told.. as soon as the 197 exhaust is changed in any way the car throws a wobbly

Nimbus 197
Sounds like mine a little bit tbh but mine i wouls say is a lil more raspy

Mine does pop and bang like that but i dont like it

Am i wierd lol

extremely weird!! :rasp: nice noise but don't think it's worth having if it introduces a flat spot. the 197 exhaust system is so sensitive!

Black 197
extremely weird!! :rasp: nice noise but don't think it's worth having if it introduces a flat spot. the 197 exhaust system is so sensitive!

Knows !!

Kink it and you'll get a flat spot lol

I've noticed that with the K-tec designed exhaust and the milltek they have both gone with 2 back boxes rather than the same shape as the standard 197 back box

I think the key is that the standard exhaust gives just the right back pressure to enable a smooth running engine but toy with it and it'll end in disaster

I think i'm going for the Milltek

RS CLIO 197
backbox isnt exactly small...

PC080001.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

You've never fitted one to a 182 then? :dead:

ITB'd MK1
customer was very happy. Not overly loud on idle and sounded nice going up the road. I dislike having to cut the standard system behind the cat though, but that's the same for all cat back systems on the 197

Black 197
Now you've thrown a spanner in the works lol

I dont like loud exhaust i like them subtle but with a slight growl if you get me, The standard system sounds nice but is a lil too quiet

I'm hoping the Milltek will give me what i'm looking for

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I think like Danny said it's exactly what you're looking for mate.

Never fitted one to a 182 but Chris' looks a cracking fit imo.

Evo
Yozzasport all the way.

I dont know what they are like on the 182s but the 197 isnt that noisy ( even with my decat its still acceptable. ) And by no means is it chavvy sounding. Many ppl say its raspy and sounds very jap about mine.

Prepare for the flatspot with any aftermarket system though, even with the cat in place.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
on the clios they might have but on their other stuff they haven't!
I do remember the threads about the dodgy weld ect.. I was thought they had fixed them.

Never heard of anything bad from the puma side. 9/10 FRP's have milltek systems.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I'd know you reply fred. What was it that you told me about the Milltek?