ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 stuttering from cold.

Porsche GT4, Eagle

My 182 went in for a service yesterday (12 months & 9,000 miles £230). I asked the dealer to look into why the car hesitates a bit when it is started from cold. What I mean by hesitates is that the car does not respond to normal, moderate application of power as if something somewhere was restricted. After a little time it goes back to normal.

The dealer said this was normal however I am not convinced because my 182 never used to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Boxster S

My one doesnt like it in the mornings either, the idle isnt the smooothest. But with a moderate amount of power when pulling away its ok. It just doesnt seems to like anything below about 1500rpm

Silver 182 F/F

My old 182 would just die for a split second and then pick up when starting from cold and stutter for 30 seconds then woul be fine.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

my 172 cup is like this too, think its fairly common, after a mile or so its fine, even get some popping in the exhaust too!

307 diesel & 1.2 TCE Clio

Mine does it, but only if you start and from cold and drive straight off.

Someone told me this happens in the first 120secs of the engine starting as the ECU has a saftey mech to stop engine damage in this time frame.

If i give mine no time to run before driving, it hold me back. But if you give it a couple of mins, no problems.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mine does it, i tend to leave ti on the drive for a few min before i set off. stops me kangarooing down the road. but if im in a hurry i get flames and bangs for the first few minutes of driving

2005 Impreza WRX STI

mine does it. and if u pull off it is sort of restricted and then all of a sudden it becomes normal. must be some sort of safety type device?

Yep, mines the same, I normally start it and leave it to idle for a couple on mins and its ok, think its been mentioned its something to do with the emissions test?

clio 182 black /gold

My 182 does this in a morning sometimes it splutters it has only started to do it.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

My 172 is stuttery/jumpy from cold too. I find if you flick the ESP off not long after pulling away off it helps slightly.

BMW 120i Sport

Ive had my 182 in to have this fixed, as i dont think its right.

I dont have it all the time, but usually in the morning from cold; the car stutters and jumps for the first 60 seconds of driving but clears after that and its fine. It feels a bit like a bit of a misfire, as I also sometimes get a "tinkling" noise associated with it.

The dealership told me there was a fault registered with a sensor that they cleared (?) and it hasnt done it since, but well see how long that lasts.

106 GTi

If i start mine from cold and drive up the road straight away its a bit lumpy for to the end off the road.

But by the time I have got it out the garage etc and left it running for a min its fine.

The idling on my 16V/Williams/172 has always been pretty rough - but I think thats the sign of a fairly high performance engine.

What my 172 does though is to give a big flat spot at about 2,500rpm for the first few minutes. I just accept it as part of the character.

Just so yknow....

Had the same problem - including the sensor trip mentioned by one post which involved a light on the dash and the AA coming to clear it.

It turns out to be a knocking sensor that needed replacing. It went in, job done and now its fine, or at least 95% better than it was.

If mine has been left for 8hrs or so it feels a bit limited around 2500rpm or so for the first couple of minutes, hard to describe but it feels like the rev limiter kicks in really early. I figured this was just a character of the car though as Im sure it doesnt want you going much harder than that from cold. Happened in the others I test drove from cold as well.

Leave it to warm up on the drive for a minute or so and its fine though.

2012 WRX Waggon

car loads in a different map once the cat has warmed up - try holding it at 2000rpm from cold, see what happens when it hits the second notch on the temp dial - vroooom!

fat 182

Quote: Originally posted by Guzzler on 02 July 2005

My 182 went in for a service yesterday (12 months & 9,000 miles £230).

why did your car go in for a service i thought it was 2 years or 12000miles before its due a service ?

daz

I thourght the service intervals for a Renault Sport Clio was 12 months or 12000 miles, whichever comes first. Is that right?

By the way my 172 has always been juddery from cold, I was told by Renault that the internal engine temperature has to reach 20 degrees C before the engine loosens up. Some kind of safety / emmisions thing apparently.

mines the same. Hesitant for the first half mile then fine. I did mention it to Reno and they didnt seem bothered...hopefully because its standard on them.

Either way its not worth the dealer hassle. It wont happen while they have it, so youll have to leave the car there overnight for them to see it in the morning...and then it might not happen. They might have it for 3 nights before it does it in the morning, and then theyll say "theres no fault on the computer"

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

FEW.... glad im not the only one who has it too.. i find it to be VERY Sensitive from cold and just touching the accelorator seems to make it spurt power, and yes.. kangarooing down the road isnt uncommon.. I usually dont give it full wack untill its warm, i know its unresponsive until then anyway.

(thought it was my driving hehe)

Silver 182 F/F

Just collected my second 182,for the first week it was starting and running fine from cold,this second week it wont start on the first attempt(common problem)and then stutters for the first minute or so(common problem)the only difference i can think from the first week to the second, is that in the first week normall unleaded was used,on second optimax.Can live with both problems though just a bit:oops:

172 cup'd extreme

when cold the flap in the air intake pipe is closed so thats where you get your hesitation from once the engine is warmish the flap opens and lets more air in aiding acceleration

Quote: Originally posted by Clewsy on 04 July 2005

I thourght the service intervals for a Renault Sport Clio was 12 months or 12000 miles, whichever comes first. Is that right?
No, 12k or 18months, whichever comes 1st:)

Porsche GT4, Eagle

Quote: Originally posted by dazraffan on 04 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Guzzler on 02 July 2005My 182 went in for a service yesterday (12 months & 9,000 miles £230). why did your car go in for a service i thought it was 2 years or 12000miles before its due a service ?daz

Service is due at 12000 miles or 12 months.

Silver 182 F/F

Thinking about it when i start it up and put it in reverse it doesnt splutter or jump,but only when going forward,so maybe it is a engine protection thing to stop over reving on cold engines.Also if you switch on the cruise control on straight away it doesnt splutter.

Here are my observations of the problem, assuming it is similar to what is being discussed...

1) It isnt constant but sadly happens more often than not.

2) It literally does not wish to exceed 2000 revs until at least 45 seconds later when things kick in as normal.

3) Very frustrating!

Clio 172PH2

is it not like a protection thing? stop you raggin it when cold mine does it when its just been started its as if the engine managment or something kicks in

Perhaps. You can see arguments for and against this. But why 45 seconds in my case and why only 2000 revs!? Oh well. :confused:

For anyone living around Weston-super-mare way - I was able to negotiate the 2year/12K service for £180 so you should be able to do the same! :)

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by Guzzler on 14 July 2005

why did your car go in for a service i thought it was 2 years or 12000miles before its due a service ?

daz

No its not :confused:

Its 12000 miles or 2 years :)

BMW 120i Sport

Mine is doing it again, splutter and big flat spot at 2000 rpm, almost sounding like one of the cylinders isnt firing.

Not a huge deal, ill just leave it a minute before I head off in the morning.

Dirty E91

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 14 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Guzzler on 14 July 2005

daz

No its not :confused:

Its 12000 miles or 2 years :)
I thought it was 12 months or 12,000 miles too, non sport clios are 18K or 2 years I think.