ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 master cylinder size and is it a likely cause? A nice story for you to all read

182 205 306 rallye
Ok I have had the 182 for around a year now. The mrs normally drives it so when I do drive it I do notice a difference with the brakes. I have always thought the brakes were s**te compared to the 205 gti and 306 rallye I normally drive. Of late the pedal travel is quite a lot before anything happens and then its a really hard pedal. The car does stop but they are sh!t. Its had new disc and pads all round just before I bought it. When you stomped hard on the brakes the abs never felt like it kicked in and pulsed through the pedal like it would on the pugs nor does it lock up.

I fitted new o.e pads a while back and it made no difference. Shortly after that I pressure bled the brakes using a Sealey pressure bleeder ( set to 10psi ). I have bled lots of cars so had no issue doing this. The fluid changed colour to the nice fresh stuff as you would expect. At first the rear n/s would not bleed. A quick prod down the nipple unblocked it and happy days. I drove the car and again no difference. So re bled them etc and still no difference.

That was around six months ago and like I said above they have got worse since. The servo seems to be working fine as when you pump the pedal with the engine off it goes hard after a few pumps and holding the pedal down when you start the engine it sinks down. I drove the car last night in the wet and gave the brakes a good what for and the abs again would not activate. I have just re bled them again tonight after spending all afternoon searching on here and the most common results being bleeding and checking the vacuum pipes. Before I bled it I gave it a drive and really abused the brakes to get any air moving. I did notice the abs kind of kicked in this time which is a first. I also checked the vac pipes and they looked ok with no signs of any hissing etc. As the servo seems to be working I would guess that ruled out the one way valve too?

To sum it up they are still sh!t :rolleyes:

So this has made me think of the master cylinder to be a fault. As above there is a lot of pedal travel that has no feel before it feels like it hits a stop almost. With the m/c sitting in the most stupid place, all that heat and extra brake effort can not have done the seals any good? I have been advised that decent pads such as Ds2500 and Brembo hc discs will improve things but I want to fix the fault first not mask it. I have 2500's on the rallye and am wel impressed with them so I have no issue forking out for some.

Now. When I have searched for master cylinders for the car they seem to list two sizes for the 172 / 182 with abs. 20.6mm and 22mm. Which one is fitted to the 182? I cannot find an anwser on here. Also I have read on here about the dredded air in the abs pump. If its such an issue how do you bleed the system post master cylinder change? I would get fluid in the master cylinder before fitting the pipes so to reduce air intake into the system, but you are always going to get some. Is it just a case of lots of bleeding and fluid and in the correct order and hope for the best?

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Ta

Mark

Clio Mk2 Ph3
Re: 182 master cylinder size and is it a likely cause? A nice story for you to all re

Master cylinders for clio 182 -22,2mm with abs!!

182 205 306 rallye
Re: 182 master cylinder size and is it a likely cause? A nice story for you to all re

Cheers for that :)

Any views on the rest of it?

182 FF, A6 Avant

Watching this with interest.

I've had exactly the same issue. Managed to improve things a lot by going out when it was wet and standing on the brakes to get the ABS to fire. I've since re-bled twice and it has improved, but still isn't "right".

Have you checked the sliders on the front calipers are not seized. Also make sure the pads are free to move in the caliper and not jammed.

If it was master cylinder I would have thought you'd have no brakes at all.

182 205 306 rallye

Cheers for the reply mate.

Yes the pads were changed around six months ago. I checked the sliders then. Took them out, cleaned them and re greased them. Pads were gen ones and fine too.

E46 M3

I'm watching this with interest too.

I've bled my brakes a million times both manually and with eazibleed with no improvement in pedal feel (with oe, DS2500/3000 pads, braided lines etc). It doesn't sound as bad as yours in that the ABS will easily fire on a dry road it just feels pants getting to that point, the mrs' 1.2 feels loads better.

I got air in the ABS pump when changing the lines, I can't help but feel this is part of the problem although I bled the system after firing the ABS to get the air out.

I also get a long pedal on track days even using the same fluid/pads/discs as everyone else.

182 FF, A6 Avant

Someone must have solved this before? I'll give Fred @ BTM a call next week if I get chance.

Clio 182 cup

My brakes have never been the same since its first pad change (were amazing standard when car was new). I have the same problem as above,,,, 54K 05plate 182 cup. Fluid was changed then bled by dealer firing abs.....brakes still cack. At times at low speed pedal goes to the floor and next to no brakes at all.

Last edited:
  182 205 306 rallye

That sounds shitter than mine! To be fair I have been ragging the arse of the brakes on mine and bleeding them. It seems to have helped once I get the brakes warmed up. Going to have a chat with chubby one at Auto Nation and get some DS2500's and HC discs sorted after Christmas. I run them pads on my 306 Rallye and they are spot on, even on after four track days and a trip to the ring.

I will report back.

182 FF, A6 Avant

After getting them to an 'ok' point I've left mine. I want to get them as good as they were though. Still need to ring Fred really.

Clio 172

My brakes fell off very quickly on my PH1 at Donnington last Sunday. I'm not sure if the PH1 has the same issues as the 182's but I have already ordered a new set of front and rear discs and padas and I'm going to put some red dot fluid in and see how it goes. The pedal went long after my first few laps cruising around at about 80-90. I adapted my driving to help which improved the brake feel but having read this I'd be interested to see how yours works out and if I have a similar issue.