ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 manifold on 172 touches the antiroll bar

Megane RS 250
Yesterday I went to my friend's garage to see if the car was ready, one of the jobs was to fit the 182 manifold (on a my02 172).

The manifold scrubs against the front anti roll bar... :(

I've seen that some of the manifold on sale here have a "dint" in the exactly same place where it scrubs on mine, is it normal, maybe an afterthought by renault? Or is there any other way to not make it touch?

We're thinking to replicate the "dint" getting it red hot and bending it a bit with a clamp or something...

Thanks!

Megane RS 250
I've found a few pictures about it:
manifold005.jpg

P1010225.jpg

Andy I fear we could break the mounts!

Ph1
You wont break the mounts, its just adjusting its seating position so as to sit as far forward as poss (top mount via the 4 bolts)

Megane RS 250
We tried...no result. And we couldn't bend the manifold...I don't know what to do, how does it fit on the 182, different engine mounts? Different antiroll bar?!

Megane RS 250
I suggested it to my mechanic...He was a bit skeptical. I'm going to the garage in a few minutes, we'll see.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I wouldn't hit it with a hammer!
I can't understand why some have dents and some don't?
But is it possible that your engine mounts are a bit worn and if you were to replace them it might solve the problem? Have you tried tilting the engine forward abit like "Andyman" said?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Well the one with the dent obviously has to miss something, if there wasent a dent it would hit on it, so there for it has a dent, if that makes sence.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Well the one with the dent obviously has to miss something, if there wasent a dent it would hit on it, so there for it has a dent, if that makes sence.

Yeah but I am assuming all 182's are the same so why do some have the dent and some not.

Thinking about it tho, maybe 182 cups/cup packed cars have it because I think they have a thicker anti-role bar?? If that is what the mani is hitting then maybe that explains the reason renault made put the dent in them!

Megane RS 250
My car isn't cup packed, so... He tried to tilt the engine but it wasn't enough, instead of always hitting the bar, it does it only when accelerating hard.

The upper engine mount is new, the low one isn't, but i can't change it for this, then when it worns out a bit it would hit again....

I'm going to try pressing the manifold with a clamp and some shapes.

I hope i'll gain something in terms of torque/power, especially when i will remap it, or all the efforts are useless.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
My car isn't cup packed, so... He tried to tilt the engine but it wasn't enough, instead of always hitting the bar, it does it only when accelerating hard.

The upper engine mount is new, the low one isn't, but i can't change it for this, then when it worns out a bit it would hit again....

I'm going to try pressing the manifold with a clamp and some shapes.

I hope i'll gain something in terms of torque/power, especially when i will remap it, or all the efforts are useless.

I was just refering to why they might be diffrent on the 182's, hence why some have dents and some don't, Seems unfortunate that it won't fit. I know what you mean about the engine mount. Would be a pain having to replace it all the time.

Like you said, I hope its worth the hassle!

RS RIP
When accelerating hard they ALL hit the bar, (always thought it hit the subframe) would'nt worry about it too much ? Design fault , Renault at it's best. Get a Powerflex dogbone mount and it wo'nt be as bad anymore

Megane RS 250
We've tried to replicate the dent...the manifold is VERY hard, we tried every kind of clamp, we bent it a few mm and scratched the surface a lot. The engine is already tilted as much as it goes.

I've seen the dogbone twisted mount on k-tec, is not very expensive, are you sure it will solve the knocking?

We'll try to bend it a bit more and then mount the bar, we'll se how it goes.

Ph1
You shouldnt need to mess about with the manifold, knocking dents in it and shoving wrap round.
I got my dent taken out back to round and its fine. Never knocked once and the cars currently on the original dog bone with 120k's under its belt.

The gap is tight yeah but imo you only need some fine adjusting unless the manifold you have is somehow bent ? Was it taken from a written off car?

Do you have pictures of the fit to see what the gap is ?

RS RIP
When you said it's only hitting on hard accelaration, you're describing a problem ALL the RS's have !! Why do you want to cure a problem you seemingly can't cure completely ?
Mine sounds like a caliber 50 machine gun (worse) when getting wheelspin, no nice feeling/sound

Do'nt worry about it , live to learn with the knocking

LY 182
i reckon your manifold is bent... when the cars are rear ended they tend to bend

should fit fine... not easy but should fit with some adjustment

Ph1
franx, they dont all do it mate although agree, very common. Its usually just a sign of worn mounts or dog bone.

Replacement dogbone and re adjusting the mounts should cure it unless its bent

RS RIP
^^ yeah when i did all my mounts last time round it "cured" it for a while.

Ofcourse a couple of weeks later it all returned :(

Btw, my manifold (182) is one without the dent too

Megane RS 250
I'll get the car in the evening with the wrapping around the bar, we'll see how much it'll knock.

Megane RS 250
It knocks :dead:

I think I'll go for the LOWER ENGINE MOUNT BUSHES from k-tec, we tried with a solid one and it didn't touch but it was too stiff.

Last edited:
  Megane RS 250
I'm ordering the lower bushes for the dogbone mount and the renault lower mount in that picture, the top mount is almost new.

Megane RS 250
Clio 172/Cup/182 - LOWER FRONT GEARBOX MOUNT - All Clio 172 & 182 models inc Cup versions
Clio 172/Cup/182 - UPRATED TWISTED TYPE LOWER ENGINE MOUNT BUSHES - All Clio 172 & 182 models.

We'll see in a few days the results. To mount the rubber block what do you need to do? How long does it take?

Megane RS 250
I don't think so, when mounted is perfectly aligned with the engine and the dekat, so it's not bent. I think that with a new (and not a 8 years old) dogbone mount it wouldnt knock.

And if this wasn't an issue renault wouldn't have made the ones with the dent.

Megane RS 250
Thursday we fitted the dogbone purple bushes.
We were in a hurry so we couldn't fit the rubber mont, but I can already tell you that the problem is still there but is WAY less noisy and it doesn't vibrate unless I smash the throttle over 4k rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, in that case I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel bit is more like the vibration of a mobile than a banging of metal against metal.
I guess the manifold comes close to the bar and barely touches it!
I hope it will go away completely with the rubber mount.

On the other side, now that I can drive it fast i can see the 182 manifold is worth it, the car feels faster from 3000 to 5.500 rpm, and is more responsive to the throttle (maybe the bushes have something to do with that too).
I tried some acceleration time and 90-130 in 3rd gear has passed from 5"1 to 4"7-4"8, not bad!

Short videos of said acceleration, before and after fitting the 182 manifold.
http://win.clubminitalia.com/vari/90-130_Gardus_dekat_cropped.avi
http://win.clubminitalia.com/vari/90-130_Gardus_manifold_cropped.avi

RS RIP
video's come in with just some acceleration sound, no image.. Does'nt sound like much either..

Have you also loosened the two top mounts to pull the engine as far forward as you can/ then retighten ? Could be just the couple of mm needed !