ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182: irritating raspy sound on harsh acceleration : short video included

BG182
hi all

just wondering if anyone could help provide some insight into the source of this sound? its doing my head in. The video is a bit short but its the best one I have of the noise. any help would be appreciated

cheers chaps

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaust Manifold to cat join - new cat fitting kit.

My used to whistle all the time from there when in high revs. Got a new fitting kit done at garage and it did the same thing, got another new one and got Fred to do it, problem solved.

Definitely an exhaust blow. Have a look underneath and see if you can find out where it's coming from.

BG182
cheers for that. Im having some work done on it next week so hopefully the guy doing the work will be able to sort it. although previously he has said it sounds like an intake sound rather than an exhaust sound :S. fingers crossed!

RS Clio 182
Mine sounded EXACTLY the same, but I couldn't bear the noise any longer! The garage plugged it with a bit of paste which has lasted about 4 months before it's started blowing again. As others have said, deffo sounds like the mani to cat section which it was on mine, and I would definitely get a proper job done, because you'll just end up like me a couple of months down the line... Let us know how you get on.

BG182
you see the thing is, im planning on getting a new exhaust on it soon anyway, potentially the scorpion and was thinking of decatting. I am not mechanically minded in any sense so i wouldnt know if my plans for a new exhaust would eradicate the problem. any advice would be appreciated and welcomed!

Titanium 182
Mine makes this sound, strangely sometimes it doesn't. Or maybe I can just hear it more when I have a window open...

I reckon as above it's the join at the cat. Need to get it on a ramp and have a look

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Mine makes this sound, strangely sometimes it doesn't. Or maybe I can just hear it more when I have a window open...

I reckon as above it's the join at the cat. Need to get it on a ramp and have a look

Mine stopped doing it with a new cat fitting kit and some new engine mounts.

I had this problem once. An easy fix was to:

Undo passenger seatbelt
Open passenger door
Swiftly turn right
Close door

It soon stopped :approve:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I had this problem once. An easy fix was to:

Undo passenger seatbelt
Open passenger door
Swiftly turn right
Close door

It soon stopped :approve:

AH, good tactic. Perhaps I've been too soft.

Normally just park up for a couple of hours, go shopping, come back and the noise seems to have abated

Titanium 182 FF
I had a very very similar noise which I thought was exhaust related, does it sound likes its emanating from quite far forward? If so take a look at your air filter, if the edges have perished allowing air to suck past. Replaced the air filter on mine due to this, and the noise was eliminated.

04 182 Non-cup
I'm getting the exact same sound in my 182. jme144, did you find out the root cause? I'll have to get under my car tomorrow to have a look at the cat/exhaust mani seal like others have suggested.

LY FF182
Mine also does this! Fred fitted a new mani to cat gasket but still there! It's either the actual cat or cat to centre joint