ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cat Mod - anyone had it done?

I could have done a better job than Danmar exhausts if I could weld. In fact, I probably could have done a better job even though I can't weld - it was that bad.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Fred did a sleeve mod for me on my Cat pipe and it was a great job. Was approx 8pm at night and I couldn't complain at the welding quality at all!
Must've been at least a year ago now too with no problems what so ever

:)

BG182ff,explod Focus
Had mine done by Phil at Powerflow in Stafford.
He radiused the end of the cat so it matched the shape of the pipe before welding it up and replaced the RS192 centre box with a Powerflow one so it had the same size diameter all the way through instead of the narrow inlet and wide outlet the RS192 box has.
All in, cost me £100.
Went from fixing a blowing exhaust every other week to having no problems since and that was over a year ago.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Considering I am someone who gets annoyed by, and has to find the cause of the slightest rattle, squeak or unexplained noise, I honestly don't mind the exhaust whistle. When the mechanic first pointed it out to me I thought it was going to bug me and I'd have to do something about it. But I don't even think about it. It's just normal for me, since it's always been there.

Clio 182 2005 FF
IF YOURE IN NORTHAMPTONSHIRE AREA

** JC WELDFAB - WELLINGBOROUGH **

amazing welders and great guys!

I got my standard cat sorted today too

image.jpegimage (1).jpeg
up on the ramp
olive join cut off
and a lovely length of stainless welded onto the end.
that the nicest bit of welding i have on my whole exhaust system ( i have a milltek cat back! )

cost me £60
sounds like a different car and it has some more power now from the de-restriction of that joint

Cracking job

Last edited:
  Clio 182 2005 FF
Haha! Very true! but these boys weld f1 stuff so alot of welding looks dire to theirs!
wish i didnt buy the milltek and got them to sort me out but oh well!
live and learn!
car feels and sounds soo good now!!
wwaarrbbb

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi guys,

I've been advised a by a fellow owner to have this modification done.

It's going in to have a custom system made next week, but I have a few questions as I'm a tad confused lol.

Firstly, as it's a custom system. Is this modification something that would likely be done automatically anyway, or would I need to specify it to the guy so he knows what to do?

I've read through this entire thread twice. From what I gather there are two options to potentially have done. Am I correct in saying the best one is to have a new bit of pipe welded in?

So cut the olive join off, and weld a new piece of stainless steel pipe in with new flanges either side - (Chop the end off the cat too)

Other option - cut both flanges off, weld on a bit of pipe then just use a sleeve joint over each end, so basically cut the olive join off the cat, weld a massive straight pipe between that and the end of the centre silencer.

Or

Chop the olive join off the car and sleeving it over/under the centre section so that it doesn't blow

Which is the best option please guys?

Many thanks

Marc

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Also what improvements have people seen apart from getting rid of the horrible whistling noise?

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I think you are over complicating it a bit to be honest.

You need to get the olive joint chopped off, then have a piece of pipe approx 6-7 inches welded on to be used as a sleeve joint onto the centre section.

I can't remember if my but of pipe went over or under the centre pipe, I don't think it matters when the exhaust clamp tightens up into it anyway.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I agree lol, I think I am.

Your explanation makes more sense so I'll take that to the guy and let him know what needs to be done. Don't anticipate it will take him that much longer anyway if he's designing an exhaust from scratch, but if it gets rid of the horrible whistling noise from the cat then it will be a bonus.

Thanks mate for your help.

Marc

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
No worries mate. If I was at home I'd take a pic to show you.

I am sure there are pics on this thread anyway?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I welded a 2.5inch piece onto mine which slotted into a 2.5 ktec system fine with a clamp.

I’d also consider speaking to him about the manifold-cat connection as mine was heavily corroded and needed replacing with new steel.

Attachments

• AEF87FE2-8758-4D03-9224-843C16BD9ECE.jpeg
    AEF87FE2-8758-4D03-9224-843C16BD9ECE.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 60