ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 wont turn over just clicking

recaro'd 172 rep
mates 172 wont turn over. turn the key it will just click and the dash lights go off and on. it dosnt sounds like its the starter/ any ideas

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
mines done exactly the same at weekend, id put money on your alternator going...

Thats what mine was.

Get a multimeter and test your battery, then get can jump started and test from the alternator to neg or batterry. If its a very similar number ie around 12v than elternator is knackered and is not charging batterry. Should be 13.5 plus IIRC

Also did battery light and stop light illuminate at any point??

Trophy Turbo :)
This will be battery or Earth related...

agree

Try getting a set of jump leads put one side on the gearbox and the other too the side of the EARTH on the battery, see if this sorts it the Earth thats located on the NS chassis leg is common with age

Or your battey is flat

330i. E30 Touring.
If it's earth, you wouldn't even get a click, surely.

Give the starter a quick 'tap'.

Does it start with a bump?

TDC sensor- the engine will turn over but not fire.

340i
There is an earth strap on the lower gearbox mount... and one on top of the gearbox, towards the back of your airbox

recaro'd 172 rep
dont think battrys dead. everything lights up ok. its quitee a loud beeping. it beeeps instead of turning over. ill try the earth thing now. and i cant get at the starter motor. ive tryed bashing it but dont think it did much

recaro'd 172 rep
its not beeping. its sort of like a clicking / tripping noise. just tryed earthing the battry to the gearbox still nothing

dont think battrys dead. everything lights up ok. its quitee a loud beeping. it beeeps instead of turning over. ill try the earth thing now. and i cant get at the starter motor. ive tryed bashing it but dont think it did much

lol, you definately said it beeps

recaro'd 172 rep
hVNT TRYED BUMPING IT YET. NO1 2 PUSH IT BACK ON THE DRIVE WITH. I WILL LATER ON OR TOMMOROW

106 GTI
Lol ask for help, then get all touchy.

You can go to renault and pay their silly prices and il get my coat.

172 sport
It's the battery. Connect a voltmeter to it then try starting. If the voltage drops to below 9v then you have your answer.

ph2 172/bmw compact
Pretty certain mate that if you look on the live of the battery there is a big daddy fuse inline, mine ws pretty busted and done exactly the same as yours. Put set of mole grips on it to make sure its tight and connecting and try aagain. 90% certain its this.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sounds like dead battery. Mine wouldn't jump start either. AA guy came out, battery was putting out less than 12v, he said it needs to be around 12.5+v IIRC. Plugged in his booster pack, it started, let it charge and was fine until the next day when I got it replaced.

Has a similar issue of not starting or jump starting on my old 1.4. Voltage was below 12v again, turned out it was the battery's earth lead, had become a bit loose so was dropping volts IIRC. Can test this by trying to jump starting positive on battery and negative on chassis I think. Earth lead changed and was all dandy.

recaro'd 172 rep
^ wasnt shouting lads just typing in a hurry. turns out it was the battry. was weird realy. went from being perfect to dead as it could get. wouldnt even start off jump leads to perfect again once i charrged it. he must have left something turned on

172 cup
^ wasnt shouting lads just typing in a hurry. turns out it was the battry. was weird realy. went from being perfect to dead as it could get. wouldnt even start off jump leads to perfect again once i charrged it. he must have left something turned on

i had the exact same problem with my cup. was driving round all day, parked up in the afternoon, went to start it 2hours later and nothing but clicking. tried bumping it, using jump leads and nothing. changed the battery and away she went. very weird :S

Monaco Ph2 172
Battery.

Mine died last week, still didnt after jump started.

Charged battery, was fine

Heh. Likewise. Even though all the dash lights looked bright and it continue to try and start - it just kept clicking! Changed battery (done 110K!) and everything was back to normal. :)