ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

Stripped yozza'd cup
if you plan on upgradign suspension get the 182 ff as there actually resionably priced anyway.

Love it when people spout information that is completely unfounded, how did you work out that a 182ff is the best if you want to upgrade suspension? You actually couldn't be more wrong.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Love it when people spout information that is completely unfounded, how did you work out that a 182ff is the best if you want to upgrade suspension? You actually couldn't be more wrong.

urm maybe you read that rong what i mean is do not buy the 182 cup like i did as its a pain when lowering. although i do feel what evil girafe has mentioned is very true.
edit- think its more i typed it rong my bad but as above dont buy the 182 cup if you plan on modifying suspension.

Transit & Death trap
I had this problem last month and in the end I opted for a 172. I think it all depends what you want from your car and what you intend to do with it? I couldnt justify the extra cost of buying a 182 for the extra 10bhp, different wheels(nicer wheels imo) and two tail pipes, especially as I knew I'd be changing the wheels and exhaust anyway, plus I like the fact its a very subtle little car.
I think a 182 with the cup suspension and wheels looks awesome and doesnt need changing(except the front seats), so if you want a nice clio and dont wana mess with it, get the nicest, cleanest, newest 182 you can afford and just enjoy it.
If you wana modify and change stuff, I'd say get a 172 and make it the car you want.

Ph 1 172
They cost the same to run, fix, they are all much of a muchness in speed, some are healthly quick 172's some are healthy quick 182's just get whatever one your prefer the look of. Me personally I love the lines and front end of the phase 1

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Boring thread tbh. there all the same pretty much depending on what you want from the car should depend on what one you get. there is no better one than the other imo

260% JCW
It was a no brainer for me - Having 2 sorry excuses for an exhaust makes me feel like a man.

I laugh at the poor saps who only have one exhaust in their life. If they'd worked that bit harder they could have bought a decent car in the first place.

That's better.......LOL

Disastra Coupe
urm maybe you read that rong what i mean is do not buy the 182 cup like i did as its a pain when lowering. although i do feel what evil girafe has mentioned is very true.
edit- think its more i typed it rong my bad but as above dont buy the 182 cup if you plan on modifying suspension.

You said "if you plan on upgradign suspension get the 182 ff as there actually resionably priced anyway." A Full fat has cup suspension!! Lol.

BG 182 (full fat)
Boring thread tbh. there all the same pretty much depending on what you want from the car should depend on what one you get. there is no better one than the other imo

a standard 182 is better than a standard 172 u willy hair

Stripped yozza'd cup
a standard 182 is better than a standard 172 u willy hair

and a 182 with both cup packs on is better than a 172 cup, enough said.

Ahhhh.... the newbie pipes up with some more useless information....

In what way is a 182 with cup packs 'better' than a 172 cup? Care to share? Please don't tell me I'm a 'fan boy' or anything similar, just because I own a 172 cup. I did an awful lot of research before I chose to buy one, and the 172 cup best suited my needs. Please do share though as it appears I may have made the wrong decision.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
You said "if you plan on upgradign suspension get the 182 ff as there actually resionably priced anyway." A Full fat has cup suspension!! Lol.

well done you told me something i already know what im saying is theres no point wasting the money on a 182 cup when you get more with the full fat. im not on about 172s im on about if he was picking between 182s get the ff not the cup. comprende?
lol at all the 172 owners b**ching just because a few people prefer the 182s jesus get a grip

like i said it depends what you want from the car. if you want aircon and little gizmos like tcs and abs then the 182 FF is for you. if your after just the car no little toys the 172 cup is the one to get. End tbh theres no better or worse just depends what you want. like i say though colours on the 182s are much nicer imo. but hey thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
  Clio RS 182
182 ff if you want a daily.

172 cup if you dont mind having less gadgets and prefer throwing your car around corners as quick as you can

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
besides with the new spax kit that dan at 519 is now supplying in cup fitments along with cheaper makes like ktec and vmax available in cup fitment there becoming more and more choice for coilover upgrades on the 182 cup packs including some higer up the range aswell. so theres always a choice out there still.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
The 182 FF is certainly a nice car, it has all the bits you could want from a renault sport.

If you're more into driving and enjoying what these cars were made for, then a trophy is the car for you, it may cost more, however it has everything you will want to do to your FF already fitted. They're easily a future classic and they will hold there value if you keep it over the next few years. Prices have dropped but I doubt they will get to below £3000 before they start to rise again.

There's been plenty written off, so the rarity value of any existing will improve given time

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Lol at people in here talking rubbish. Buy a nice example of either one of the three phases and you'll enjoy it.

At the end of the day ph2's are pretty much the same bar a few differences.

Disastra Coupe
Lol at people in here talking rubbish. Buy a nice example of either one of the three phases and you'll enjoy it.

This. All fun enough for a B road blast.

As for the comment about 172 owner's getting arsey? Hope that wasn't aimed at me because i never got arsey lol. I made my choice based on the fact the ph2 172 ticked every box i wanted for little money. Nice interior, still pokey, still handles decent, newer than my Saxo. Win win situation :)

Rusty Cup
A 182 would rinse a 172!! As long as you made sure you didnt blow the welds on the intake it would be game over as soon as the Vtec kicked in imo iirc ftw