ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

A few
Im looking at getting one towards christmas time, the hard part is deciding which I want. Ive found a few threads on this on the forum but I want owners opinions and maybe even a few pics if possible. I would like the pros and cons from an owners point of view and just some general information really to help me decide on which is the best for me.

Thanks in advance.

You can pick a ph2 172 up for £2500 or a 182 with low miles for £4000.

Interms of difference between them, one has 2 exhausts peeping out and the other doesnt; thats about it TBH

Although there are more suspension options for a 172.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Don't spend all your budget on one, save some cash for any repairs/servicing etc :)

Clio 182 FF
I was in your situation last month mate.

I went for a 182 because I preferred the dual exhausts, whereas the 172 looks a bit like an everyday clio :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It just depends how old a car your willing to buy.

I'd buy a ph1 if I got another clio, that or a trophy.

I wouldn't pay a premium for anything in-between again, unless it was a really good buy.

Ultra Blue RS Megane
182 all the way, 172's tend to look like normal clios a bit more. I kind of feel they are a tad dated now too, although still top cars :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
182 all the way, 172's tend to look like normal clios a bit more. I kind of feel they are a tad dated now too, although still top cars :)

Dated.... Lol. It's basically exactly the same car just with a stealth exhaust.

Literally, if you want two exhausts, buy a 182. If you want a stealth, buy a 172. Job done.

A few
Looking to get one 2002 up. PH1s are nice but im after the PH2. The iceburg silver really catches my eye, I think its my favourite colour. Although all other colours are nice too.

@sanders, totally understand where your coming from mate. Would ideally like to spend around 3k but would go up or below for the right one. Milage doesnt really matter, anything under 100k as long as its been looked after with belts done etc.

Understand where other people are coming from with the 172 but they do look nice. Whats the difference with FF and cups etc? I know briefly but not enough to make a decision.

Whats different with MPG? Insurance? What to look out for on them?

172's - cup means no climate/air con/Xenons/abs/s**t seats
Non-cup has all the above

182's - cup is a waste of time really, no climate/Xenons and crap seats but still have aircon (which is the point)
Full fat is the one to go for in a 182 perspective, has all the above

Matt

My biggest input to this thread is this: 829 posts on this forum and you don't know the differences between a 172 and a 182? Wow... seriously what have you been reading/writing threads/posts about all this time? I'm sure the below has been mentioned already...

PH1 172
Cable throttle body (a purer driving experience)
Lighter (as above)
PH1 bumpers, lights, etc etc
OZ F1 alloys
195/50/16 tyres (tad cheaper & a bit more choice)
"RS" logo stitching in seats is yellow/blue/red instead of grey in the PH2/182
Insurance group 16D (i.e. 17)

PH2 172
1.2 Look-a-like Wheels
Stealth exhaust (Only circa £200 when it falls off)
4-1 exhaust manifold (Should you ever need to, it takes ages to remove)
Insurance group 16

Wheels (IMO more interesting)
205/45/16 tyres (tad wider thus more expensive)
Twin exhaust (IMO looks better. Costs circa £400 when it falls off)
4-2-1 exhaust manifold (Partly responsible for an extra 10 HP. Should you ever need to remove it, you actually stand a chance)
ESP, Traction, Cruise as standard (172 got ESP in 02 & cruise control in 04 IIRC)
Insurance group 16 (However because these are newer, significantly higher value and less are in the hands of crashing pikeys these DO seem to get lower quotes than a 172. It's not all about insurance group...)

If you want coilovers, forget the cup-packed or cup 182s. If you want luxeries get a 172/182. If you want pure-ness then a PH1, 172 cup or 182 trophy. If you don't want poverty spec then as said everywhere the Full Fat 182 is "the" one to go for.

Thanks. I really thought they were 16"s. I must've been thinking about the Cup's Turinis. 15 min edit limit is annoying.

Disastra Coupe
Personally can't see the point in paying an extra few grand for a 182. I might get slated for that but it's my opinion lol.

Get a decent 172 for a fair bit cheaper, make sure the de-phaser and belt's are alright, if not, haggle down some. The only time i'd say it's worth going for a 182 is if you want Cup suspension and leather. If you're lowering it on coilovers anyway then ignore Cup suspension.

That's twice this week i've heard people saying that a ph2 172 looks like a normal Clio lol. Whack some different wheels on and from the front/side it might be a 182 to the untrained eye!

260% JCW

172's and 182's look the same on the outside, apart from the two drinking straws sticking out of the rear of a 182 and the Naff wheels.

I'd be going for a 172 Cup for that money, IMO between a 172 and 182 the only ones worth having would either be a 172Cup or a Trophy. Trophys out of your price range so that leaves the Proper Cup.

A few
My biggest input to this thread is this: 829 posts on this forum and you don't know the differences between a 172 and a 182? Wow... seriously what have you been reading/writing threads/posts about all this time? I'm sure the below has been mentioned already...

PH1 172
Cable throttle body (a purer driving experience)
Lighter (as above)
PH1 bumpers, lights, etc etc
OZ F1 alloys
"RS" logo stitching in seats is yellow/blue/red instead of grey in the PH2/182
Insurance group 16D (i.e. 17)

PH2 172
1.2 Look-a-like Wheels
Stealth exhaust (Only circa £200 when it falls off)
4-1 exhaust manifold (Should you ever need to, it takes ages to remove)
Insurance group 16

Wheels (IMO more interesting)
205/45/16 tyres (tad wider thus more expensive)
Twin exhaust (IMO looks better. Costs circa £400 when it falls off)
4-2-1 exhaust manifold (Partly responsible for an extra 10 HP. Should you ever need to remove it, you actually stand a chance)
ESP, Traction, Cruise as standard (172 got ESP in 02 & cruise control in 04 IIRC)
Insurance group 16 (However because these are newer, significantly higher value and less are in the hands of crashing pikeys these DO seem to get lower quotes than a 172. It's not all about insurance group...)

If you want coilovers, forget the cup-packed or cup 182s. If you want luxeries get a 172/182. If you want pure-ness then a PH1, 172 cup or 182 trophy. If you don't want poverty spec then as said everywhere the Full Fat 182 is "the" one to go for.

Thanks for all this. I did do a search but I wanted a fresh opinion :cool:.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Don't forget, there is no space for a spare wheel on a 182 (apart from in the boot with everything else) and (as I found out recently), there is no tow loop which renders the car useless in desperate situations, or if you bin it and need someone to pull it out of somewhere! (Although, the 172/182s shouldn't be used for towing). :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL. just got a quote for that ph 1.... deposit for my insurance would be 1059. then 11 payments of 260.

what a joke... anyways, buy a ph1

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
depends really. i would say 182 as i prefer them there newer and usually see them with less miles. exhuast on mine sits perfect so dont know what martin_172 is on about. also imo the twin exhaust looks way better then the plain bumper on the 172s if you plan on upgradign suspension get the 182 ff as there actually resionably priced anyway. but the winning factor for me was colour choice the 182s have a much nicer range to choose from just seems whenever i see a 172 they look quite bland maybe. unless its monaco blue then thats alright lol.
and dont let the tyre bother you as a can of tyre weld and the jobs a gooden anyway. who wants to be sat at the side of the road changing a wheel eh ;)

It was a no brainer for me - Having 2 exhausts makes me feel like a man.

I laugh at the poor saps who only have one exhaust in their life. If they'd worked that bit harder they could have had another exhaust. I struggle to think how barren and empty life must be with only 1 exhaust. Having 1 eye or 1 leg would be bad. 1 exhaust though?!?! Doesn't bear thinking about.

White clique
Having owned both, the 182 is better IMO. It feels better and also sounds better in standard form. Although the 172 did have a bit more spec as standard such as CD changer.

Black 172
I've always liked the idea of a car that is fast but doesn't look it, and the 172's are bargains compared to the 182's, so the choice was obvious really!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL .. can of worms opened .. possibly thread no. 1,000,000 on the same subject ?

MotQ's .. LMFAO .. imagine how manly you'd feel with an ///M3

:evil:

I'm presuming you're saving up as you're not looking to buy one tomorrow..?

Factor in comedy insurance, servicing and things that might fall off into your budget.

If however I lose my marbles and buy a Clio again, it'd have to be a Ph1 172 all day long as per the reasons above. They're all as fast as each other .. they are all the same size .. they're all French girls cars. Buy a cheap one (not a shed!!), then spend money on mods like decent suspension and brakes, then go do some track days with your spare cash.