ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to 197

iceberg phase 2 172
Hi guys the price on the 197s seem to be very low atm so thinking about making the move, has anyone gone from a 172 ph2 to a 197 and what was/are your impressions? Step up or down? I know their poor on fuel in comparison but what's the performance like compared? Also am I right in thinking they handle ALOT better or is that just Internet talk?

very little "performance" difference. 197 is more refined in general but 6th gear is too short for comfortable cruising at motorway speeds imo.

handling wise, Id say the 197 is better/easier but Im no driving god.

CS doesnt like 197's though so bear this in mind.

172 Cup
I went the other way round haha!

handling wise, they are easier to drive. But by no means better! It a matter of what you want really, if you want a refined and easy to drive car with creature comforts and that's ideal on long journeys (despite the chronic MPG) then a 197 is great.

After switching to a 172 Cup it feels so much more grunty through the rev range! Just as nimble, more planted and far far more involving!. The increased 'grunt' feeling is most likely due to the flat spot the 197's have mid range (apparent on mine) due to their cams and map. I like the 172 cup for being less than half the price my 197 cost and being twice the fun!

If I was to spend 197 money on a car again (£5000+) it would be on something different, most likely with a turbo!

Last edited:
  PB Clio 172
lol at the Cs doesn't like 197's- reason is we are just being honest

I wouldn't say its a 'step up' which is why I would never do it, the 197 is a nicer place to be and that's about the only thing that's better IMHO !

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I have noticed you can carry more speed in 197s than 1*2s round corners.

get a later one with the revised box (57-) still, 70 in 6th is 3.5krpm lol

the cheap ones will be cheap for a reason, they'll have no options so will feel POV spec compared to the 172. Climate is an option. Xenons are an option, leather/recaros are an option, cup chassis only comes on 07/57 plate r27s(standard) and 08- 197s (option)/197 cups(standard)

itd be be a step side ways from a 1*2 imo

Megane r26
I loved mine and I'd have another, granted mpg isn't great but it is a performance car, heavier then the 1*2 and geared differently. Also I don't thing the 1*2 trip computer is bang on.

As for driving there so planted and as knuckles said they seem easier to hold speed in the twisties and the driving position felt better for me.

But saying all that I still sold mine to go back to a 182 trophy as I did miss the 'Raw' feeling they give and I was buying my first house.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was chasing aucky in his quite modded trophy and I was surprised how late I could brake in the corners compared, his car as more power/torque than mine but I think the chassis and brembos really help in corners.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never owned a 197, but have owned a cup chassis 200. I went ph2 172 > ph1 172 > 200 > ph2 172.

I swapped back down to a 172 to save cash, the 200 was obviously the much better car, it was better built with no rattles although it was brand new of course!, it felt much more refined which took the raw edge off the fun however it cornered like a FWD car should never be able to corner, never mind one without a diff! It felt much more like a performance car rather than a 172 which feels a bit like something you would throw together in your garage, which of course is exactly what it is, a mk2 clio with a tuned up Laguna engine

for the fun you loose with the extra refinement you most deffinately make up with the massive lift off oversteer slides you can do, so easy and controllable unlike a 172 which you cant go sliding about on the road in the same way!!

Brembos are good but coming from 172's with uprated discs and pads I was disappointed, never kept it long enough to try any aftermarket brakes on it though, I only kept it till 10 months old. although had it not been unreliable id still have it now.

Lol at being "honest".

Half the people that usually comment on the 197/200 have never driven one. They listen to and then regurgitate comments made by others.

I had a 172 cup before the 197, they are both great cars but the 197 clinches it for me. Just a nicer place to be!

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I will say it again, the mk3's (197/200) are totally different cars. Like most models they have moved on, comparing them to the old 'original' is never going to be the same, that goes for any make/model of car. The predecessor is the benchmarker, and some like the changes others dont.
I miss my 200, and would probably have it back over the 182 I have now. The 197/200 is a much more up to date package that has moved with the times, the seating position is much nicer as is the cabin, and that is where you spend most of your time. People moaned about the looks of the 200, but I thought mine at the end looked menacing.
In a way, as already said, they are abit of a sideways step, there are not all that many gains to be had, but the ones that are there are worth it imo. Yes people will always bang on about the increased mpg, yet the car is about 200kg heavier with the same engine, which has been tuned for more power all that = more fuel consumption.

Only you will be able to say if its for you or not, that will depend on your driving, if its just a weekend toy, then maybe not worth the cash, but imo they are much nicer dailys. Test drive one and see for yourself.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Love mine, gone from a 172 cup twice to 197. I only went back for financial reasons. The current 197 I have ticks all the boxes for me

Westfield, 182, 200
Went 200 with cup chassis, ff182, 197 and 200 cup.

200 cup is mine, harsh ride, amazing brakes.
197 is wife's, comfy ride, amazing brakes
200 bought new, never had it long as it was stripped on the drive, but comfy and amazing brakes as per the 197
182, cxxp brakes, heavy clutch, lots of rattles but loved it amd miss it, probably my favourite but broke my toe a few years ago and the clutch was agony arround town!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

200 bought new, never had it long as it was stripped on the drive, but comfy and amazing brakes as per the 197
182, cxxp brakes, heavy clutch, lots of rattles but loved it amd miss it, probably my favourite but broke my toe a few years ago and the clutch was agony arround town!

200, bought new, didn't have it long and broke it up on the drive..? Am I missing something? Or just read that wrong lol

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you're using it for or it's sole purpose.

I have a real soft spot for 172 cups. But I much prefer my 200 as a daily. It's also more refined, more comfortable, better built, safer etc.

That's not taking anything away from the 172, it's a great little car, just the 200's have moved it on a bit as an allrounder.

Westfield, 182, 200
I read it as a theif came and took it apart whilst it was on his drive. :(

You hit the nail on the head-they took all the door strips, indicators, bullets etc off and were in the process of removing the sill covers/side skirts when i disturbed them. cost me £500 to repair doing it myself with parts at trade. Wife had just come out of hospital and said sell it (was her car) as it wasn't worth the stress of owning it. Was 6 months old and replaced with the 182 then 197.
Have cctv now-don't live in a dodgy area either. :(

GT86, 335, Westfield
I think reliability needs to be considered too. A 197 should be more reliable but mine did have a crunchy gearbox at the end...

PB Clio 172

strange u say this my clutch is very light compared to my last set of Renaults (5 Turbo and 16v )