ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 + snow = epic fail

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's going to be you. My mk1 was on paper the worlds worst vehicle for snow, but no-one told it. I'm only not using the 172 in it as I have the volvo and i dont trust everyone else's driving

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They are worse in the snow that a lower model with narrower tyres is.

I still find them "ok" though.

Clio 220 Trophy
Most people reckon the RS,s are crap in the snow, myself I have no problems, just drive depending on the conditions

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ran 240bhp in the snow on R888's, no problems.

You can't drive

You "ran" 240bhp? Do you mean your car can make that much but you drove around at part throttle at far less power thus making the peak power totally irrelevant? Or do you mean you were actually flat out across snow with that power on 888s? If so then the WRC probably needs you.

If its bad snow, you're fecked in a 172, 1 wheel drive isnt the way to tackle the elements properly, I think people in this thread must be talking about some pretty mild conditions TBH

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Defo you.

No issues in my Ph1 172 on Paradas, decked to the floor.

It's very simple. Don't do anything quickly.. steering, acceleration, braking... don't touch the brakes (if you're on 'normal' tyres) as it will do the sq.rt of FA. Look FAR FAR ahead and dont go near anything you think you'll hit as you're probably already going to hit it anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Defo you.

No issues in my Ph1 172 on Paradas, decked to the floor.

It's very simple. Don't do anything quickly.. steering, acceleration, braking... don't touch the brakes (if you're on 'normal' tyres) as it will do the sq.rt of FA. Look FAR FAR ahead and dont go near anything you think you'll hit as you're probably already going to hit it anyway.

And your technique for going up a steep hill covered in snow with one wheel drive is what?

Megane 225 F1
They are fine unless you need to reverse out onto a hill and then try and get up the hill as it's the only way out the estate.

If its bad snow, you're fecked in a 172, 1 wheel drive isnt the way to tackle the elements properly, I think people in this thread must be talking about some pretty mild conditions TBH[/QUOTE]

was quite bad last year when i used mine.. just keep the revs down and a higher gear if possible and it just kept going.. got stuck once but other than that it was just driving only just touching thge throttle as anymore and just spun up... dont think il do so well with the tyres iv got on at the min so best get some new ones

SQ5
You "ran" 240bhp? Do you mean your car can make that much but you drove around at part throttle at far less power thus making the peak power totally irrelevant? Or do you mean you were actually flat out across snow with that power on 888s? If so then the WRC probably needs you.

If its bad snow, you're fecked in a 172, 1 wheel drive isnt the way to tackle the elements properly, I think people in this thread must be talking about some pretty mild conditions TBH

Well of course it was part throttle but with more power the throttle is going to be more sensitive, especially without an LSD and tyres account for braking etc too.

Although I've always said its easier to drive in those conditions with R888's, more surface area!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Although I've always said its easier to drive in those conditions with R888's, more surface area!

Narrower tyres are better as pressure = force / area... smaller the area, the greater the pressure on the ground.

Hence the Mini's (real ones not the Bini) did so well back in the day in the Monte Carlo rally :approve:

However, it's all about the driver really. Previous owner told me the scoob was awful in the snow. No idea what he's talking about TBH. Best car I've ever driven in the cold stuff for obvious reasons.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Narrower tyres are better as pressure = force / area... smaller the area, the greater the pressure on the ground.

Hence the Mini's (real ones not the Bini) did so well back in the day in the Monte Carlo rally :approve:

However, it's all about the driver really. Previous owner told me the scoob was awful in the snow. No idea what he's talking about TBH. Best car I've ever driven in the cold stuff for obvious reasons.

And why snow rally cars run pencil thin tyres.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get off your motorbike and walk :S

Clio 172 on standard diff = 1 wheel drive the moment you hit an icey patch, the other wheel wont see any torque at all.

The key elements to driving in slippery conditions are as mentioned in this thread to keep the torque down (higher gear is better as less mechanical advantage) and to avoid big steering inputs and brake very gently etc, but that applies to all cars and the bottom line is if you do the same thing in a 172 as in a lot of other cars you'll be able to tackle less in the 172 as the tyres are too wide.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You think MORE surface area is a good thing for pressing down through the snow to find grip?

LOL

Seriously mate, you really are talking utter pish.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My 182 was fine last year.

My mothers Aygo is the car of choice in our household though!

RB182cup&golf gti
i was taking an easy bend today at 25mph and the car momentarily went sideways - s**t one! the snow hadnt even stuck but was coming down. had a tailback after that as wasnt taking any risks!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

156656_10150346104705150_568860149_16437009_129265_n.jpg

bad enough for you? Idiots everywhere getting stuck, clio drove round them

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Doesnt look very bad TBH, and more importantly looks practically flat TBH if that lorry is still going, its hills and snow that are the killer, ANY car should be fine when its fairly flat if its driven sensibly.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I've driven my Cup and the mrs' 182 in two of the worst periods of snow we've had in the past three years. They really aren't the greatest to drive in properly thick snow but you can cope if you aren't trying to defy physics in them.

The best car in the snow that I've owned was my 106 on Hankook Icebears. Pencil thin snow tyres are truly amazing.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Clios are awesome in the snow. Went exactly everywhere I wanted it too. I wish I had it back for snow days tbh.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Chip you need to chill out jumping on everyone's backs. It's every other post of yours I read. Lighten up.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Doesnt look very bad TBH, and more importantly looks practically flat TBH if that lorry is still going, its hills and snow that are the killer, ANY car should be fine when its fairly flat if its driven sensibly.

the lorry was stuck, causing the traffic jam.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
just seen this on facebook

"Smug c**t in scooby went hacking past me on the motorway about 10mins ago in the snow, just past the very same car smashed to f**k with bits laying over all 3 lanes!"

Driving standards are exceptionally low in this country

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Chip you need to chill out jumping on everyone's backs. It's every other post of yours I read. Lighten up.

Was just about to post the same!

Chip, you seem like a nice and very knowledgable (sp) bloke but you seem to want to argue with everyone just for the sake of arguing.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Chip, you seem like a nice and very knowledgable (sp) bloke but you seem to want to argue with everyone just for the sake of arguing.

thats why he got banned from the mk1 forums ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I just correct incorrect information in a very matter of fact kind of way, thats just my nature as im a bit OCD about things being correct, can see how it would come across if you dont know how to read it though, but TBH got no intention of changing, most people seem to appreciate my input but you cant please all the people all the time, some people just dont like being told they are incorrect.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
thats why he got banned from the mk1 forums ;)

Absolutely correct, they're far more interested on there in bumming each other in a little clique than they are in actually learning how an engine works etc, so certainly not the place for someone like me who cares lots about accurate info and not at all about "making internet friends" to fit in.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just correct incorrect information in a very matter of fact kind of way, thats just my nature as im a bit OCD about things being correct, can see how it would come across if you dont know how to read it though, but TBH got no intention of changing, most people seem to appreciate my input but you cant please all the people all the time, some people just dont like being told they are incorrect.

So basically you're a bit of a chopper?

This is a thread about how people find their clio's in the snow and you wade in saying who's correct and who's incorrect?? I hate to be the bearer of bad news old boy, but they are opinions. You cannot argue with opinions. Well, you can but its pointless and makes you look like a bellend.

I do a lot of driving and to date the best car i've had in the snow was running 245/35/19 tyres.

Does that make me wrong? Or does it mean that my opinion is just different from yours?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is a thread about how people find their clio's in the snow and you wade in saying who's correct and who's incorrect?? I hate to be the bearer of bad news old boy, but they are opinions. You cannot argue with opinions. Well, you can but its pointless and makes you look like a bellend.

Commenting on how a 172 clio is in the snow is only useful if putting it into the context of comparing it to other cars, so people who arent doing so and just saying there is fine arent being useful IMHO.

Take a 1.4 clio for example on narrower tyres, and a sport clio, drive them both in the snow, and the only conclusion you'll reach is the 172 is worse, anyone implying otherwise is incorrect.
It really is that simple and is a fact and not a matter of opinion at all.

If you drive it well, good progress can be made, but ultimately its still a bad car choice for snow. (although a lot better than a bmw on massive wide tyres with not enough weight over the driven wheels of course!)