ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If your paying 1k over the odds at least you get more than just a colour change with a trophy ;)
Get on youtube and search EVO CLIO TROPHY ;)

Mk5 Golf Gti
If your paying 1k over the odds at least you get more than just a colour change with a trophy ;)
Get on youtube and search EVO CLIO TROPHY ;)

I have already seen that video, mhmm tempting but i cant stretch much over my budget ;)

Clio 172
You could be a hero and buy a Willy?!

media

Big love for the willy me!!
Jack

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is no significant mechanical difference other than the 182 has a hateful twin centre exit exhaust that makes it look like a wheel barrow.
There are some minor things like better manifold etc, but nothing you would notice from driving it.

182 are newer and come in better colours is the only reason we have one, in every other respect I prefer the 172 with its subtle hidden exhaust and the fact I can actually get a spare wheel under the boot and one in the boot so can take a pair on ring trips without having to have the seats down, in a 182 that isnt possible.

I wouldn't run one without the 182 surround. The surround makes it look OEM and factory finished. :) I would be happier with a smaller tip, say 3" because the 3.5" is a bit on the chav side but not enough for me to spend another £500 on another system!! Haha.

Jack

The problem with mine is that it's quite a small tip on the exhaust and only slightly cut at the moment. It's what a previous owner did. If I'd done it myself I wouldn't have done it without the 182 surround.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Williams are awesome!!

But finding a good one that isn't rotten is another thing..

I'd go with a flame red 172 or RB 182.

LY are quite hard to get hold of in decent condition!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
There is no significant mechanical difference other than the 182 has a hateful twin centre exit exhaust that makes it look like a wheel barrow.
There are some minor things like better manifold etc, but nothing you would notice from driving it.

182 are newer and come in better colours is the only reason we have one, in every other respect I prefer the 172 with its subtle hidden exhaust and the fact I can actually get a spare wheel under the boot and one in the boot so can take a pair on ring trips without having to have the seats down, in a 182 that isnt possible.

All part of the character chip ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've had pretty much all variations.
Ph1 172: my personal favourite. They do look older, but prefer the way they drive (15's, cable throttle)

Ph2 172: best compromise. More modern looking, better spec. Exhaust is cheaper when (not if) it breaks. More suspension options than a cup'd 182. I prefer Monaco blue and flame red to the 182 colours.

I'd go for a ph2 172, and have the belts done, fit fresh suspension and seats. That's what I did
ha9eqaha.jpg

aba8aneh.jpg

Clio 172
The problem with mine is that it's quite a small tip on the exhaust and only slightly cut at the moment. It's what a previous owner did. If I'd done it myself I wouldn't have done it without the 182 surround.

You need to be careful how you say that on the internet, you might get a bit of unwanted attention.......

Iv just seen your "when one clio isn't enough" thread! The exhaust cut on yours is properly small! Can you not do the hanger modification and lift it further up, and then cut the bumper to fit the OEM surround to give it a better fit?

And the pun was 100% intended! ;)

Jack

Yeah I probably can do that, just with me having Brembos, an RS Tuner and a Whiteline ARB sat waiting to be fitted it's gone to the back of the queue. I'd quite like to swap the tip to a 3" though as I'm not the biggest fan of the oval one.

Mk5 Golf Gti
I've had pretty much all variations.
Ph1 172: my personal favourite. They do look older, but prefer the way they drive (15's, cable throttle)

Ph2 172: best compromise. More modern looking, better spec. Exhaust is cheaper when (not if) it breaks. More suspension options than a cup'd 182. I prefer Monaco blue and flame red to the 182 colours.

I'd go for a ph2 172, and have the belts done, fit fresh suspension and seats. That's what I did
ha9eqaha.jpg

aba8aneh.jpg

Those seats are gorgeous! :eek:

If you dont mind me asking, how much were they? (roughly)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If they're ones that I fitted, trendlines (same as trophy) but without the belt guides.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
They're so nice! I'm going to have a look now..

I think that was a response to Alex5's post!
The seats you are on about in ForceIndia's car are Recaro Speeds from an Integra Type R DC2 and have been re-upholstered.
Please correct me if I am wrong @ForceIndia.

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They're recaro speeds, but direct from recaro. It's a special order colour, black with red double stitching. V supportive!

PH2 RS172
i wanted a 172 cup ideally but i sold my 172 and later on down the line i bought a 182 to replace it. then my 172 cane back up for sale so i bought it back and now ive got 2 lol. im just waiting to get my 182 back from the insurance repairers after someone knocked into the back of it and ill be selling it off cheap and getting back in the 172 :)

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Ebay number - 261445343587

I think he would let that for £3500,

Looks like a steal to be with rebuit suspension and belts done.

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Gutted for you, theres another one on there for £3500 but think the miles are higher on it.
Might be worth waiting around for one to come up if you search ebay ofter.
Or go for a 182 full fat thats had the recaros factory fitted.
Suspension isnt as good but its still decent

Mk5 Golf Gti
Gutted for you, theres another one on there for £3500 but think the miles are higher on it.
Might be worth waiting around for one to come up if you search ebay ofter.
Or go for a 182 full fat thats had the recaros factory fitted.
Suspension isnt as good but its still decent

Very gutting, it looked stunning!

I dont mind what model to be fair, a Trophy would be nice but only if a decent one comes up!

Clio 172 Cup Edition
Very gutting, it looked stunning!

I dont mind what model to be fair, a Trophy would be nice but only if a decent one comes up!

For the money your wanting to spend Joe, I would wait for somthing special, or somthing well modified Chi have you got anything nice for him in your collection

Mk5 Golf Gti
For the money your wanting to spend Joe, I would wait for somthing special, or somthing well modified @Chi have you got anything nice for him in your collection

Yeah Im in no rush anyway, waiting until June so buy my car :) Want something special like you said!