ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Gearbox Problem

Monaco 172
My gearbox has crapped itself, or so I have been told by the garage.

Just wanted to check on here before I fork out for a replacement to be fitted if this is truely the issue. Horrible vibration noise under revs, although its fine in reverse. No noises though if decelerating whilst in gear and all gear changes are smooth as ever. Box is only on 37k.

Any help on the issue before I pay out of the nose for it?

Cheers

Paddy

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Just had the quote come through at £980

Second hand gearbox £100-£200, a decent mechanics time no more then £300,
when my gearbox shredded itself at 70 mph, £500 got me a replacement box fitted by a respected garage who is a member on here.

That's if it's actually the gearbox, they normally don't slot into every gear perfectly if they're f*cked.

Monaco 172
Its gone in to a trusted family mechanic. He seems to think it might be a mount but won't get a proper look at it until Monday. Fingers crossed.

172cup
I brought a spare gearbox off eBay £50 just incase mine go's again mine was was £600 rebuilt and fitted as it messed up the gears and wouldn't drive

Monaco 172
Turns out it was the mount that is located under the battery? Much cheaper job to do but apparently no renault garages stock the part needed so may be a bit of a wait for that.

Monaco 172
Its the bolt and two nuts as far as I could tell from our mechanic, can't really offer much more of an explanation than that.

172/B8 Quattro
Generally the casing breaks before the mount, well that's what happened to mine so had to get a new battery/mount casing.