ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 driveshaft knocking?

Clio 172 ph2
hiya basically got a knocking when i accelerate and release off accelerater, also when i change gear. garage have pin pointed to it either driveshaft or gearbox. is this a common fault with driveshafts knocking

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
hiya basically got a knocking when i accelerate and release off accelerater, also when i change gear. garage have pin pointed to it either driveshaft or gearbox. is this a common fault with driveshafts knocking
The most likely cause would be the dogbone mount at the back of the gearbox. It is a twisted shape which links the box to the chassis. When this wears away you would have the symptoms you have described.

Upgrade to poly bushes and your problem should disappear and give a much better gear change.

Clio 172 ph2
The most likely cause would be the dogbone mount at the back of the gearbox. It is a twisted shape which links the box to the chassis. When this wears away you would have the symptoms you have described.

Upgrade to poly bushes and your problem should disappear and give a much better gear change.

i thought the same but when i bought the car it came already with an upgraded dogbone, only the cheap ones though, surley they dont wear that quick?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It will be a mount somewhere by the description.

Check the top engine mount is tight (they do sometimes work loose) and take the dogbone off and check its not worn, Ive seen the powerflex ones degrade quite quickly TBH.

Clio 172 ph2
It will be a mount somewhere by the description.

Check the top engine mount is tight (they do sometimes work loose) and take the dogbone off and check its not worn, Ive seen the powerflex ones degrade quite quickly TBH.

i will have a good check and look around weekend, its driving my crazy lol