ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Project ['_']

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Got my first 'Decent Car' december 2012 at the age of 19. Always wanted one of these, so proper glad I got my hands on it. Here's a couple of pictures when I first got it at the garage. It was lacking a little bit of care and attention, and just needed some love TBH.

This is pretty much the only picture I have of it when I first got the car. Heres how it started out:

photo_5_zpse0083fb7.jpg

Since then I haven't done too much to the car outside, except clean & clean! none of which lasts more than a week at this time of the year. However I've done a fair bit to the engine bay.

First up was the manifold, which I didn't remove to spray. Despite it seeming simple on paper, I didn't doubt my ability to screw up so I left it on. I masked around everything I didn't want spraying, got myself some VHT and went for it.

photo-21_zpsa28d9dd7.jpg

After that I've done a couple of other things, such as new Cup 172 badges on either door as the old ones where missing a 2 and 7. Just ordered some Gtechniq C4 to do my trim as thats a little bit faded in places, especially on the front grill.

The lights where horrible and faded! so got the 3M kit and it's amazing! did wonders really, the pictures don't quite do it justice.
Before:
IMG_6473_zps8f372d93.jpg

After:
IMG_6476_zps81b73a9a.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon. Smaller details, but really going to wait till the weather gets a bit better.

As It looks now after the work:D [Car itself doesn't look different, just cleaner!]

IMG_6509_zps4e065932.jpg

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
New Update: Plates arrived :D Got some pictures of them. went for plain simple plates, no borders.
IMG_6518_zpsb47815ec.jpg

IMG_6528_zps0be5173a.jpg

Next Plans:
- C4 Permanent Trim restorer from G techniq. As soon as the weather gets better :rolleyes:
- Wheels done in anthracite 20th Feb.
- Side bullets re-done in anthracite.
- K-tec engine mount kit fitted as soon as it arrives.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
These Came, Fitting them tuesday. First ever "upgraded" I've treated it to :p Hopefully this will sort out the annoying knocking under heavy acceleration :rasp:
I'll write up how I get on with them after they are on, as I've heard they can give quite a lot vibration through the dash at first

IMG_1442_zps07c5d6a7.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So I got my mounts and bushes fitted, and its really transformed the way the car drives, for the better. It really does tighten everything up, and its eliminated the banging noise when under acceleration. On a slight down side, the cabin noise is slightly louder, but its really not that bad. Then dash doesn't violently shake, but there is a slight vibration/rumble. All in all they are so worth the money. The car feels so much nicer to driver and the engine feels really 'Locked In'.

Meanwhile I managed to pick up some spare 2.0 16v Bullets and spray them in anthracite in preparation for the the wheels, which are being done soon. Im also going to paint the brake callipers yellow. A lot of people seem to do this, but for good reason because it looks amazing IMO. Quick pic of the car looking clean and with new bullets.

8455460339_a93231c7fd.jpg

172 Cup & & Ashdown by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

8456557256_3b89ab9eae.jpg

172 Cup & Ashdown by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Keep the wheels silver please, just look wrong with anthracite IMHO

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a lovely one there mate :)

Thanks mate

Love it!

Is that the three mounts you have there?

I've got the upper engine mount fitted and the upper gearbox mount fitted, the other parts are the powerflex bushes. In all honesty I didn't fit them myself, I know a garage local to me and they usually sort a lot of stuff out for my dad and me. They said the power flex bushes where far too big, so not really sure what to do with them atm

Last edited:
  172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
What caliper paint did u use? Mine are yellow also i used the foliatec stuff its more of a creamy yellow rather then really bright like i thought they were going to turn out

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
What caliper paint did u use? Mine are yellow also i used the foliatec stuff its more of a creamy yellow rather then really bright like i thought they were going to turn out

That's just a photoshoped version I've made mate. I'm not to sure myself on what paint would give the best finish

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I might give the hammerite metal paint a try when i take my wheels in for refirb, ill see how that comes out

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Been a while since I last posted, took some ok pictures today so thought I'd post them up.

What I've done since last post:

- New Bolts for engine bay [Cover/Air Box]
- Respray and re-added the numbers on the gear insert
- Silver indicator bulbs for the front
- New Led bulb and number plate light
- ITG panel filter
- K-Tec stealth [fitting thursday]

Really happy with the way its going now. In the future my next mod's will either be cams or ITB's. ITB's ideally but I'm a long way off affording them. Anyone think of anything else that I could do?

8531646845_b20afb8be1.jpg

Clio 172 Cup [sunset] by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr
8532734752_4db97f7ff6.jpg

8532734196_03c20c47cb.jpg

172 cup
looking good, thought you was keeping it OEM! not keen on the lights but every owns taste! .. what bulb fitment for the back plate?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, have you got a project thread mate?. Have to admit I'm not 100% on them but as they aren't OEM. Easily changeable in the future though as They use the existing standard bulb fitment other than the brake/sidelight which is LED.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
When getting the exhaust fitted It was pointed out my rear shock had gone. So I decided to purchase two new rear shocks from KTEC and then whilst I was at it, some Cooksport lowering springs :p. Im really happy with the way it sits now, looks awesome :cool:.

Also fully declared on insurance all my mods and they wanted £69. Not to bad

- ITG filter
- Lowering Springs
- KTR Stealth exhaust

Some pictures -
8660011671_133945f448.jpg

New Springs [Cooksport] by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

8660023063_29cecbc0f8.jpg

IMG_7410 by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

8660023797_b2741290e7.jpg

IMG_7406 by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

Megane R26
Been a while since I last posted, took some ok pictures today so thought I'd post them up.

What I've done since last post:

- New Bolts for engine bay [Cover/Air Box]
- Respray and re-added the numbers on the gear insert
- Silver indicator bulbs for the front
- New Led bulb and number plate light
- ITG panel filter
- K-Tec stealth [fitting thursday]

Really happy with the way its going now. In the future my next mod's will either be cams or ITB's. ITB's ideally but I'm a long way off affording them. Anyone think of anything else that I could do?

8531646845_b20afb8be1.jpg

8532734752_4db97f7ff6.jpg

8532734196_03c20c47cb.jpg

Nice pics. Same spot I use for pics at Ashdown Forest,
20130331_164330.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
The car is going in for an oil change next week, and I've got it some other parts to treat it :p such as

- NGK Spark Plugs
- Oil Filter

I've also been busy buying things, I really cant help myself. The back seats are coming out, and Im going for fixed buckets up front.
Picked these up today from another forum user. Nick172Cup. Really nice guy. The seats are spot on. Cant wait to fit them.

8794051662_86fbc6d6c4.jpg

Project Thread - Seats by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

Also order two 3-point sparco harnesses in blue. Coming tomorrow is a KTR Induction kit. No real power difference from what I've read. but got it for the noise!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
So I finally fitted the seats and Im really happy with them. Pulled up to take some pictures of the car and hsustyle pulled up in his 106 gti. Photo session :p

8929569874_781e631ec0.jpg

HDR cup by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr
The Seats
8929618826_a2f46f441f.jpg

New Seats by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr
8929011353_ce7035c411.jpg

Stripped out rear by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

I havent gone for the full strip yet as I will be using the car for some long distances over the next year or so and dont want the cabin to be stupidly loud. Its ok as it is now. Buckets are comfy and I'm really happy
8929057051_700dfceeb4.jpg

IMG_7666 by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

8929665312_9d8af53bb1.jpg

IMG_7671 by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr
8929055597_8780ecdac1.jpg

IMG_7672 by ChristopherJGower, on Flickr

Last edited:
  Megane R26
Sweet pics. Your car looks even better in the flesh. I have got your message about the rolling road day, will try and come along.

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Excellent Cup! Gives me something to aim for haha. Do you think the Cobra seats improve the driving position?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Coming along well chris. Ill look forward to seeing her on the RR day. Well get some good pics & a cheeky pint after with everyone :)

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent Cup! Gives me something to aim for haha. Do you think the Cobra seats improve the driving position?

Cheers mate. This forum has been the main reason I've done everything I have also. I see other clio's and get inspired! lol. 100% improve the way it feels and the position, however they are not the most practical thing to get in & out of, and pretty snug to sit it as Im not that skinny

Coming along well chris. Ill look forward to seeing her on the RR day. Well get some good pics & a cheeky pint after with everyone :)

Thanks Kyle. Sounds good, I cant wait to get it on the dyno. I bet anything that it doesnt make 170, but couldn't care less :p. Pint sounds good, make mine something weak. Im a light weight haha

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Cheers mate. This forum has been the main reason I've done everything I have also. I see other clio's and get inspired! lol. 100% improve the way it feels and the position, however they are not the most practical thing to get in & out of, and pretty snug to sit it as Im not that skinny

Thanks Kyle. Sounds good, I cant wait to get it on the dyno. I bet anything that it doesnt make 170, but couldn't care less :p. Pint sounds good, make mine something weak. Im a light weight haha

What engine mods you got chris?

I should make 190 i hope. Yeah im a lightweight also. I feel it after 2 lol