ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

172 cup, Impreza P1
How did the timing jump?

Combination of unmatched cam cover and a welded up oil way on the cam I think. Jammed up and caused the timing belts to jump wrecking all the inlet valves.

New head fitted now with a different inlet cam and slightly different pulley.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Got the car started tonight after some more help from Scoff on the fueling. Have to say a massive thanks to this guy as his help has been invaluable with loads of niggles ive had and would have been lost without it.

It would crank then fire up for a few seconds but then cut out. Had to make an adjustment to the master fuel trim % and then it fired up. AFR ratio is slightly low but will sort that this week once I fix some other issues.

2 issues that became apparent were, the throttle pedal doesn't work and there was a fuel leak from one of the rail injector o rings. I've ordered up a full set of o rings to replace them all and I'll need to investigate the throttle pedal issue.

Some pics of the finished bay:

20140928_154646.jpg

New coil pack mount

20140928_154732.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
At least your back up and running mate...the niggles suck ass tho lol btw the engine as so clean mines is just been chucked in lol

Very frustrating but good when resolved. The annoying bit for me is that I know some of these issues are going to happen and seem to get proved right. lol

Great stuff Steve!!!

Cheers mate, loving yours too!! Really fancy trying a side mounted turbo with a screamer pipe.

lol

Nice one Steve. Beat me hands down.

Cheers mate, hows yours coming along. Time still your issue. Really hope we can get on at KH will all the track Clios on at once!

Focus RS mk1
Hey, just thought i would check this out after you posted on the RS owners club about gearbox. Wow what a build hat goes off to you sir, that inlet as you say is a work of art!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Hey, just thought i would check this out after you posted on the RS owners club about gearbox. Wow what a build hat goes off to you sir, that inlet as you say is a work of art!

Cheers Robbie, the RS box will work a treat. Just need to source all the parts now. Lol

172 cup, Impreza P1
Any updates?

Not much really, been working any building a new engine for my P1 which is now done so just enjoying that.

Got a FRS gearbox for measuring up but not started it yet as I'm moving house soon and don't want the car in bits for the move.

Clio 182
Re: 172 Cup track toy!

Its been a while but time for a little update.

Had a trial fitting or 8 of the engine to see what was going to fowl and on what. First thing was the down pipe on the brake master cylinder that i was expecting anyway but by just how much I wasn't. Decided on 3 modifications to cure this issue which did and the down pipe now clears the brake master cylinder with enough clearance for some heat sheilding.

DSCF2022.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

Next issue was connecting the down pipe to the megane 225 link pipe I bought off Fred. They didn't as the flexi pipe on the link pipe fowled on the subframe. After a chop and weld (cheers focrs!!) they now fit nicely. I will be changing this at some point in the future for a full 70mm Miltek job but it will do for now.

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF2035.jpg

Next was to change the fuel sender to a ph1 type with a return port. Whilst fitting this I fitted an uprated fuel pump and 5/16" teflon lined steel braided hose along the original route of the fuel lines. Still to connect up to the engine but have a Sytec FPR ready to go in so this will be happening very soon.

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

Then today it was to fit the water and intercooler pipe work which I am happy with so far. I need to work out how to connect the turbo to the RH inlet of the intercooler as my original route is now blocked slightly so need different pipes.

DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2040.jpg

DSCF2042.jpg

DSCF2044.jpg

I have had to remove the rad fan as there is no space for it any more so I'm looking to get a small slimline fan and mount it in front of the radiator to save space.

DSCF2045.jpg

With the engine having been in and out so many times over the last few months I am happy its now in for good and I can push on woth getting it finished now. :up:

More updates soon.....

Hello pal what intercooler and pipes did you use? I'm half way through my conversion and not stuck with the intercooler rooting

Cheers

172 cup, Impreza P1
Not updated in a long time as the car has been in storage at my cousins for the 2 years due to me moving house and been busy with kids etc.

He's now moving and needs the car gone so I've now got to decide to break it, finish it or sell as is.

Let me know if anyone has any interest as is or more info parts and I'll decide what to do.

Cheers,
Steven

172 cup, Impreza P1
Lol, time, motivation and space issues are all going against me.
Will have a think though and see what needs done. It's been so long since I've even seen it.