ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye still a few bits, such as figure out what is going on with the fuel pump wiring, think it has a dodgy earth so had to run the pump off a spare battery. We just wanted to see if it ran and we had the right mix of keys, ecu etc. Lost the small coolant pipe so there was no water so only ran it for 20 seconds a time. Sounds raucous with the orbisoud!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Aye still a few bits, such as figure out what is going on with the fuel pump wiring, think it has a dodgy earth so had to run the pump off a spare battery. We just wanted to see if it ran and we had the right mix of keys, ecu etc. Lost the small coolant pipe so there was no water so only ran it for 20 seconds a time. Sounds raucous with the orbisoud!

Not good on the fuel pump front. I hate electrical issues!

Ive got a full OE coolant pipe set if you need me to post one.

Get a vid up of the exhaust. Need to hear that!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
TBF its had about 10 minutes investigating, the rear offside light doesn't work either so I'm thinking that loom has an earth issue. With more light and time hopefully it'll all become clear. We must have one somewhere but I'll bear you in mind, thanks :)

Yeah will do, we were too happy that it was running that we didn't think to take a video!

TBF its had about 10 minutes investigating, the rear offside light doesn't work either so I'm thinking that loom has an earth issue. With more light and time hopefully it'll all become clear. We must have one somewhere but I'll bear you in mind, thanks :)

Yeah will do, we were too happy that it was running that we didn't think to take a video!

Painted interior? Earth issue near the driver side read light, just a guess but It happened on my flamer.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup that's the main suspect but it was painted and used before we got it. I'll hopefully get down an evening and be able to either get it working or rule things out

172 cup
Engine bay is looking good just a nice header tank would finish that off.

Get at a diff bought I for got how good they are after being out in the focus last week.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Engine bay is looking good just a nice header tank would finish that off.

Get at a diff bought I for got how good they are after being out in the focus last week.

Header tank would be excellent if you are offering. :p

A diff will be on the cards but unsure of it being fitted to a JC5 or 02M box yet. I will need one for sure but main priority is to get the car running then worry about the diff.

How is the RS? Still having boost doubts?

172 cup
If you get the thread boss I will knock one up no probs.

yeah it's still not right. Got a boost controller coming so should eliminate a few problems and go from there. Gauge pod is made also so should be better.
Only thing is tax is running out before I get to test it. Plan was to strip it underneath first.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I can supply either jc5 or o2m diffs mate. Let me know.

Will do Mark, cheers. :approve:

If you get the thread boss I will knock one up no probs.

yeah it's still not right. Got a boost controller coming so should eliminate a few problems and go from there. Gauge pod is made also so should be better.
Only thing is tax is running out before I get to test it. Plan was to strip it underneath first.

I'll give you a shout then about the header tank.

Takes time to get all the niggles sorted but will be worth it when it's done.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Got the brake brackets made to fit the AP's on. I'll trial fit them tonight but dont have any 300mm scenic discs yet so will need to see how they look.

2014-05-08%2018.09.04.gif

20140514_093442.gif

It will be tight so they may need some adjustment before I get them anodised.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I have some scenic discs for sale ;)

(not jealous of your AP's at all......)

What make are the discs George? Whats your best price delivered?

lol, not sure if they fit yet but looking good so far.

Beat me to it George lol brakes look good mate I'm heading to Aberdeen later to get my brembos back

Cheers Wayne, should be good if they fit so fingers crossed.

What are your brakes doing up there??

172 cup, Impreza P1
I've been spending some time getting the caliper brackets just right using a 15" OZ Superleggera. It was tight to say the least and with 20mm spacers and the caliper spaced perfectly for 300mm Grand Scenic discs, the caliper fouled on the inside of the wheel. I had to space the wheel another 8mm out to get it to clear.

Possible solution were:

1) Custom 2 piece discs and bells from Hi-Spec with a larger offset taking the caliper further away from the wheel but worked out it would foul on the hub at 7mm.

2) 30mm spacers.

Both options had problems so thought I'd try the my other set of wheels which are 2118's and guess what, there's loads of space without having to do either option. Couldn't believe it when there was about 8mm clearance on the 20mm spacers. Would probably work with no spacers as well.

So looks like I'll need to sell the superleggera's and buy another set of 2118's with ET38.

Phone pics are poor but you get the idea,

20140521_203214.jpg

20140521_203243.jpg

This means the grand scenic discs are back on saving a fortune on the custom 2 piece discs. Maybe not as bling but definitely cheaper.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Probably, but I'll look for a while and see what comes up second hand then if nothing turns up, I'll go to Speedline direct.

Cup In bits
Good work.

Steven is it et48.5 2118's you tried it with? If so could you have a quick look for the possibility of 280mm standard discs, no spacers and those callipers please.

Also are they AP5100?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Good work.

Steven is it et48.5 2118's you tried it with? If so could you have a quick look for the possibility of 280mm standard discs, no spacers and those callipers please.

Also are they AP5100?

Cheers Morgan!

No, they are et38 or et38.5 (IIRC). I need the 300mm disc for the pad area as they are big. 280mm discs wouldn't work.

The calipers are CP5200's.

Cup In bits
Cheers Morgan!

No, they are et38 or et38.5 (IIRC). I need the 300mm disc for the pad area as they are big. 280mm discs wouldn't work.

The calipers are CP5200's.

Ahh okay, I think its an impossibility to get good 4 pots under cup racer 2118's without spacers and the standard discs to keep costs down.

The standard/scenic discs are almost maxed out on offset with standard hubs as it is.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Ahh okay, I think its an impossibility to get good 4 pots under cup racer 2118's without spacers and the standard discs to keep costs down.

The standard/scenic discs are almost maxed out on offset with standard hubs as it is.

The cup racer 2118's offset is too much. I'm sure I'll need to get another set of what I have. Just now I'll need to swap the AD08 tyres from the Superleggera's onto the 2118's to get the engine run in and down to get mapped if I'm running these brakes in time.

Is it only cup racer 2118's you have?

Cup In bits
The cup racer 2118's offset is too much. I'm sure I'll need to get another set of what I have. Just now I'll need to swap the AD08 tyres from the Superleggera's onto the 2118's to get the engine run in and down to get mapped if I'm running these brakes in time.

Is it only cup racer 2118's you have?

Yeah mate 3 sets, they're supposed to be ideal for the suspension geomatery of the cup racers. I don't want to wonder too far from the et 48.5 tbh. I toyed with swapping to pro race 1.2's for the room inside the rim but a lot of guys are bending them frequently at KH. Maybe the circuit changes this year will change that.

172 cup, Impreza P1
New seat arrived from the group buy and was swiftly tested for size by the wee man with his seal of approval.

20140530_182956.jpg

Also managed to polish the boost pipes and run all the cabling for the gauge sensors and wire in the DBW throttle signal to the OE ECU to the Adaptronic.

Still to do list is:

1) Fit driveshafts
2) Finish brakes
3) Upload base map to ECU
4) Wire gauges
5) Make pod to house gauges
6) Fit cage
7) Fit seat and harness
8) Fit PMS gear linkage

Then need to run in the engine and get back to Scoff for full mapping.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Bloody you'll be finished in a week lad lol and well ahead of me anyway.....can't believe the size the wee man see seen him in august lol

I know mate, it'll not be long before we're building cars together. :cry: (happy tears!)

172 cup
Seats look great did you get 2 ?
Wee guy is getting big I was thinking the same. Get the overalls on order.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Seats look great did you get 2 ?
Wee guy is getting big I was thinking the same. Get the overalls on order.

Only got one as another one would mean I would have to take out passengers. ;)

Tell me about it, he is car daft too so it really wont be long. I've already told him he is getting the Subaru when its fixed which might be the same time he's old enough to drive at this rate. lol

Bloody hope so mate should only take me a week to fire it back together, btw I'll be looking for couple of bucket seat once it's built so if you know anyone selling let me know

You're not too far behind by the sounds of things so looks like we could be hitting the hill at the same time. .GAZ. is taking my cobra evolution but if he changes his mind you could have that after I slap him with it.