ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cams Knocking?

Ok this is on behalf of my mate, he was driving yesterday and coming off a slip road he heard a massive knocking noise and his STOP light came off and car cut out, he tried to start it but it was having none of it so we pushed it back to his and half an hour later it started but cut out again.

We managed to keep it going by giving it a few revs but the knocking noise was stupidly load on idle.

It's had a knocking noise before from the previous owners who had the whole bottom end rebuilt with all new parts apart from cams. The knocking is at the top btw sounds like it's under the inlets i.e. cams I would say?

Anyway he rang the company that did the rebuild who rang him back just now to say all parts were new, they still have the receipts etc only thing they didn't use new was cams.

So were going off the fact it must be cams, like I say the knocking is at the top of the block and defiantly not the bottom.

This is on a 53 plate 172, so was wondering how much a set of cams will set him back? Standards and also uprated ones and if he does upgrade will he need to change anything else or will it run fine?

Thanks
Simon

Lionel Richie
doubt its cams

they're a bit strange when the bottom end goes its sounds like its coming from up top but its normally the bottom end

He works as a valeter at BMW and had a few guys have a quick look who all said cams, and so did this guy over the phone hence swaying towards them.

I instantly though bottom end had gone again as I heard it before it got rebuilt but it wasn't anywhere as near as loud as this, especially on idle.

It also seamed lower when it was knocking before, this is definitely at the top near the inlets?

Any other suggestions mate?

Lionel Richie
yeah that a standard feature of bottom end failure, sounds like its coming from the top but it isn't

you're going to have to pull it apart anyway to find out, my money is on a spun shell

does it get louder/faster with the more revs?

Yeah it gets louder with more revs and seams the engine only cuts out when it has started to get warm?

Spun Shell? Don't know much about engines tbh lol.

Lionel Richie
con rod "big end" shell bearing will be f**ked probably

i wouldn't c**k about with it, get a 2nd hand engine

As in exactly the same lol? How does the 182 achieve more bhp then? Different ECU map or something?

Just spoke to him he's going to get it stripped down this weekend everything checked and rebuilt then probably just get a second hand engine.

Lionel Richie
i wouldn't waste your money rebuilding it, its nigh on scrap

the head is a tiny bit different (nothing to shout about) and the inlet/exhaust manifolds are different (most 182's having the RS inlet and of course the 4-2-1 exhaust mani)

the engine itself is the same

ITB'd MK1
Good Luck, The garage where my car is have been on that hunt for 2 months :dapprove: Believe they spoke to Fred too.

it's not that hard to find them!! I found an engine was knackered on the 14th, the owner found an engine within 2 days, and i had it in and running on the 21st

RB 182
I've just had the same issue.. mine spun the main bearing.. knackered the crank and cracked the block for a laugh!! :eek:
Fortunately I'll be going on holiday for a week so at least we won't be fighting over the first one ;)