ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 5th gear whine.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Well in the last week I've suddenly noticed the Clio has developed a whine in 5th gear. From 50mph upwards, at 75-80 you can really hear it.

Any ideas? No knocks or whines in any gears other than 5th. Thinking first things first is dump oil and refill with fresh since I was going to do it anyway.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Only when clutch is engaged. Thought thrust bearing but I'd imagine I'd be getting The whine in 4th at 70 but doesn't.

Only makes the noise in 5th at those speeds. No other gears and as soon as I remove drive from the gear it goes.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
normal on these boxes. Nothing to worry about

I'm buying you a pint lol

Ive done about 2000 miles in the car since buying it and only seems to be the last week I've noticed. Maybe just me, have a habit of listening for odd noises lol

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
check the gearbox oil is full, if you have a search on here it should help.

Yep already promised myself I'd do it before the whine got noticed. Off to the local motorfactors after work to grab some decent oil for it.