ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

12k 197 service: The verdict...

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
Ok, in the face of much slagging and light-hearted abuse over on Renault Sport I decided to put my 197 into an official dealer for it's 12k mile service and not Kwik Fit :D
The dealer in question was Parks Renault in Hamilton and my experience has been very positive. This dealer does servicing etc. (Renault Minute) and not sales (Douglas Park BMW has taken over the building Renault sales used to occupy).
I arrived at 9.05am and parked my car in the middle of where the Douglas Park guys were lining up their minis - good start I thought[LOL] Not many spaces for parking but I managed to find a space and headed into the service desk to be greeted by a friendly woman behind the desk. She confirmed that the price I had been quoted for my service was £145 and took my keys.
I asked if someone would inspect the car with me before I left and she came out and did a 'walk round' with me. She didn't use an official inspection sheet but did write something on my service sheet - presumably no damage on car etc. She said that they were supposed to do this anyway (so why didn't you offer?)
I then asked if I would still be able to get a lift home which wasn't a problem. Was taken the 15min trip home by a friendly janitor in a laguna.
I should add that I taped a note to my steering wheel asking them not to wash my car. The woman also marked this on my service sheet. 1.05pm and I received a phone call telling me my car was ready for collection. I got a taxi back to the dealer to find my car sitting right at the front door ready to be driven away. Had a quick look around and it's in the same condition as I left it and it's unwashed (good - washed it last night anyway[;)]).
This is the lowdown of the service:
mileage: 10,674
Labour: £74.04
Fully synthetic oil: £39.09 (5.5 litres)
Oil Filter: £6.28
Screen wash: £3.99

Sub-Total £123.40
VAT £21.60
Total £145.00
I was really pleased with the wear on my discs and pads:
Front: 20%
Rear: 10%

Wheel bolts were tightened (110 daNm - torque used apparently lol)
Tyre pressures:
Front 2.2 bar
Rear 2.2 bar

I only have 2mm left on my LF tyre and this is where it gets interesting. David (details at bottom of page) who I spoke to when collecting my car made a phone call and can do the Contis sport contact 3 - standard 197 rubber for roughly £110 +vat (fully fitted and balanced) - he wrote the price down but I think I forgot to lift the bit of paper. That's mytyres territory after fitting!
I also asked if he would honour the £145 12k service price for anyone else from on here and he said no probs so give him a call (he was also singing the praises of the 182).
David
(01698) 303864
143/159 Almada Street
Hamilton
ML3 0ET

So all in all, well done Parks of Hamilton - I know where I'll be using from now on.

Martin

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
booked mine this morning.

£155 - with oil.

£105 - provide oil myself.

Went with the provide oil option myself. Tbh, that is quite cheap imo.

you did well there. i have always serviced my 197 and my old 182 at the same renault minute garage in the town i worked in for ease. had very good service and price.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Brake wear figures are normally bs, took mine for a service the day after Fred had fitted new pads and discs, to be told they were 50-60% worn and would need replacing at the next service!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Thats good.I took mine to telford once for a service and they refused to drive it around the forecourt because my pads were worn and tried to charge me X ammount for them.I said no and got my mate to look at the car,who told me there was nothing wrong with the pads.I subsequently booked it in at renault wolverhampton who were faultless and did the service

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
yeah, I needed reminded though. It never gets a chance to get dirty anyways lol

ST
I've been using Parks in Hamilton for warranty work for years now, they seem to be spot on, much better than East Kilbride.

I've also got a 15% off card from them which can be used for parts and servicing which is pretty decent too..

The service at Parks Reno seems to be far better than the service offered by those mugs at Arnold Shark too.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
A red F1 was behind me in Uddingston Alan as I headed home - thought it was you so waved and put on the hazards - turned out to be a girl driving. Pretty sure it wasn't your plate.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
wear on the discs is good, lets hope you can get more than 15k out of a set now then.

looks like the 197's may wear better than the tin foil 1#2 discs.

bet they cost a lot more when they do go tho

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
yeah, I was really surprised - I drive the car quite hard when I get onto country roads so I expected worse.

ST
A red F1 was behind me in Uddingston Alan as I headed home - thought it was you so waved and put on the hazards - turned out to be a girl driving. Pretty sure it wasn't your plate.

Nah wouldn't have been mine, mine is currently parked in the Galleries as i'm working just now..

Clown Car
Probably could have saved yourself about £18 by supplying your own oil and filling your own washer bottle.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
lol getting to check out cliosport and working at the same time.

I've heard about people supplying their own oil Mark - will maybe do that next time.

Btw, I'm looking at my service book and the mechanic has written in next service due:

3/1/09 or at 20,674 - is that right?

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
£145 for an oil change?

Not the best value ive seen.

I'm comparing it to the realistic prices most of us have been or will be quoted should we go down the official dealer service route and in that regard it's not a bad price to be fair.

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
so given that my car's done 10,674 miles, has the mechanic made a mistake in writing 20,674 in my service book?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not a mistake as such. The next service is due at 24k.

ST
lol getting to check out cliosport and working at the same time.

I've heard about people supplying their own oil Mark - will maybe do that next time.

Btw, I'm looking at my service book and the mechanic has written in next service due:

3/1/09 or at 20,674 - is that right?

Ah gotcha lol..

I work for myself so i'm sort of allowed lol..

nice to hear good service from reno for a change
Noone ever realy says about good times only bad unfortunbatly with renault dealers.
wear on the discs is good, lets hope you can get more than 15k out of a set now then.

looks like the 197's may wear better than the tin foil 1#2 discs.

bet they cost a lot more when they do go tho
Yep very expensive disks are list price pads arn't that good but there are cheaper none Renault stuff out there. Disk can be got aftermarket cheap though rarther than the £250 they want at Renault.

172 disk though are ve good both price and wear wise.
so given that my car's done 10,674 miles, has the mechanic made a mistake in writing 20,674 in my service book?

Yep. simple easy mistake to make.

3 MPS
oki just got my 1st service reciept there and fook me i paid £169 for mine back in june , car had only done 8k, and that was me getting it cheaper than parks in east kilbride, no the amount i drive mine it will be lucky to see 12k b4 its 2nd birthday,

i was robbed `

ST
oki just got my 1st service reciept there and fook me i paid £169 for mine back in june , car had only done 8k, and that was me getting it cheaper than parks in east kilbride, no the amount i drive mine it will be lucky to see 12k b4 its 2nd birthday,

i was robbed `

Ooft, mine is comin up for 4.5k already...running in nicely...

3 MPS
martin mine was serviced at 8312 on 21 7 07 the book was stamped and marked as next service due 21 7 08 or 20312,

also the service is now on countdown on the trip comp from 12000 or was should i say

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
Nothing major - the driver's one touch window system can be a bit dodgy - forgot to mention that today in fact. The poor fitting glove box - I'm not alone there and a strange creaking noise from the right hand side of the boot in cold weather - nothing major - overall I'm happy with the car - certainly a good intro to fast cars! What about u? car going ok?

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
Time for an update...

2nd service: 23,490 miles.

Total Cost: After shopping around I managed to get Park's Motherwell to service the 197 for £148.99

Dealer address:
228-232 Hamilton Road
Motherwell
ML1 3DT

Tel: 01698 264162
Fax: 01698 276907

Having previously had service 1 carried out by Park's Hamilton for a very reasonable price, I was disappointed that the best David could do for service 2 was £180ish as the service should cost "nearer £300".

So, a quick phonecall to the same company but a different dealer (5 mins up the road!) and I secured my best price of £148.99. Clearly it pays to shop around!

Details

Net: 129.56
VAT: 19.43
Total: 148.99

Broken down:

Service: 74.19
1 x Particle Filter 14.21
1 x Filter 19.31
1 x washer 1.38
1 x Filter Oil 6.69
5 x Semi Synth. Oil 20.00

Tyre pressures : 2.2 bar (front) 2.0 bar (rear)

Wheel bolts tightened to 110 daNm

Engine oil: 5.3 litres.

I was pleased to note that my pads and discs are only 50 % worn front and back so I don't need to replace them as I first thought.

Rear tyres have 6mm and 5mm of tread left although my front only have 2mm left - will hopefully replace these very soon. Can anyone suggest a cheap quality tyre supplier?

I noticed that under the "To Be Scheduled" section of my check seat it says "front and rear brake clean" - does anyone know when this should be done?

With regard to the customer service I received...it was good. I dropped the car off at 8.15am and was asked if I needed it back for a certain time which I didn't. I think it was around 3.30ish I received a call to say my car was ready. Park's also looked at my broken driver's seat and a cracked offside rear window seal, both of which have been ordered (new cable for the seat) and the car goes back in on the 30th of this month to have both parts replaced under warranty...although I do need to call them the day before to ensure both parts have arrived and are not on back order.

My only gripe...and you will note that the same thing happened at the other dealer during service one...was that nobody offered to walk round the car with me taking note of any damage. When I asked the receptionist if she would do this she replied "I'll do that if you want" to which I told her she was supposed to do it (having had it confirmed in a follow-up call after service one). She then proceeded to comment on the fact it was still a bit dark and well.....NO!!!! I politely remarked that ANY marks on the vehicle not identified now would be down to PARKS to explain when I collected the vehicle. With the car inspected, I went on my merry way and despite the hiccup above, I was very pleased with the service and price.

I'm sure they will honour the same price for any Scots on here and I'm happy for you to mention my name. Cheers.

Martin

the renault minute down next to the new mini is great, the service manager is a great guy, often had warranty work done there no problem. Even waived the fee on some work which turned out to be quick jobs.

Phoned parks the other day about my second service was qouted 249 to start and hardly had to ask and it was down to 175! (At any of their garages) MTM you had your second service on the 197 for £148?!

i was quoted 120 for a independant, but to be honest if it was 140ish id rather pay the 20 quid to keep the renault history. Only problem is hamilton cant do warranty work anymore apparently and any other parks renault ive been to have been pricks with warranty work due to the suspension/wheels etc.

Ill be quoting your name next time!