ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10-40W Oil

Clio 182 cup
What could 10-40W engine oil do to a 182? Cos just looked at my service reciepts from Parks Renault Dreghorn. And thats what they have been putting in for the past 7 years. If only I had bothered looking up what should have been used. But you would think a main dealer would put the correct oil in.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If it's Semi-synthetic, it's just going to last less time/miles before it starts to degrade. if it's changed regularly then no damage will be done

Clio 182 cup
Thanks Fred......got a mate living down your way, so when it's belts time again think I'll be going on a road trip.

Clio 182 cup
Now got some good quality 5-40W in and find the car revs much more freely from cold. Not spluttering at about 2k anymore.New oil or is it the grade?.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's purely down to temperature range in the region the car is used/sold. 10w40 is slightly less suitable for colder climates, rated to -20 where 5w40 is rated to -25. However 10w40 is usually semi synthetic rather than fully, so it doesn't last as long

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
when you remove a rocker cover, you can very easily tell a car that has run on semi-synth and not had regular changed IMO. Heavy brown deposits from contamination, and semi-synth seems to go almost slimey

Clio 182 cup
Every 6k from now on. Relacement engine has only covered about 17k so not too late for it. Thanks again for all the input.