ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 DCI 100 or 1.6 16v?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hey guys,

I currently own a 1.2 16v Clio, but I'm looking at a possible step up in the coming year but I cannot afford to run an insure a Clio sport just yet.

Ive done a few mods to my 1.2, k-tec stealth, K&N filter, lowering springs, tints etc. I'm wanting to keep as much as possible mod wise, as I don't want them to of been a waste of time and money, so my obvious thought is a 1.6 16v, mainly because I can keep my exhaust system. However I've been having a look and I'm now wanting to know what's my best bet between a 1.5 dci 100 or the 1.6 16v petrol?

What kind of engine mods, upgrades could I do to the dci? visual stuff of course I can do the same to both, its just the engines I'm unsure on.

Any advice would be great, thanks, Mark.

330i. E30 Touring.
IMO, keep the 1.2 until you can afford an RS. Stepping stone cars are a waste of money, imo. Might as well save until you can afford what you really want.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Okay, just getting a little fed up with not having alot of power. As I'm 19 at the moment, its going to be a while until I can afford a sport.

330i. E30 Touring.
I rushed into getting a sport when I was 20, and I really should have kept the 1.2 for longer. I know exactly what you're thinking.

IMO, if you have to get something faster, buy a cheap Saxo VTS or 106 GTi (be clever about it and you won't lose money! (pm me, and i'll tell you how!)). Then, upgrade that in a couple of years time..

All IMO. That's what I would do if I had the chance to be 19 again..

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I don't really like 106's or Saxo's, seeming as almost all my mates have one and I honestly think they have a bad reputation for being 'chav mobile'. Wanting to stick to a Clio, so just wanted to know what my best option would be if I did decide to upgrade my Clio.

Not a 320d
Lol at the stepping stone part. But i can agree in some ways. If you want something that moves when you put your foot down and ring its b****cks the 1.6 will shift, its not exactly quick, neither is a 172 though. DCI pulls well but its a f**king diazzle, as in, no revs, all torque, s**t after about 80mph as most diesels are.

Do you really want a 172, they are getting a bit old now? If you go for a 1.6 then dont mod it in any way unless its putting it on coilovers with a decent setup.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Not a 172, probably a 182 or even a 197 depending on prices when I'm able to afford and run one. Just want an 'in-between' Clio if that makes sense.

Not a 320d
It makes sense to me, as thats what i was thinking when I got the GT. I know people find it hard to understand but I really didnt want to buy a 2 or 3 year old 197 and pay £1200 for insurance. I know there are a lot of people with 182's at uni, and 22 under the same circumstances as me, but if i bought a 2000cc clio Id be spending most of my monthly income on it. No going out, and no saving up for a new car. I could buy a good 182 with what ive got saved up in the last 12 months since buying the GT but if i was running a 197 I wouldnt have any money atall. Its a clio at the end of the day - a sack of s**t.

Not a 320d
PS. I would never buy a diesel just because i hate the lack of revs. The only diesel id ever consider buying would be a 330 or 335d BMW, I drive a 330d on a regular basis and its not all that bad. Not a 1500cc inline 4 diesel engine.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
That's exactly my thinking, I cant afford to run, let alone insure a sport at this moment in time, so I wanted something I could put my current mods onto with a little more power, so wanted people's thought's on the two models.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
What kind of engine mods could I do? Don't know alot about diesels. Can you get exhaust systems for them?

Nothing at the mo :(
That's exactly my thinking, I cant afford to run, let alone insure a sport at this moment in time, so I wanted something I could put my current mods onto with a little more power, so wanted people's thought's on the two models.

Take insurance/tax away.. RS clios are cheap to run imo..

Bigger intercooler, injectors, turbo etc if you want big power.
Remap will give you 130bhp and a s**t load of torque, going by Martin_172s old one - send him a PM, he was very helpful when I was thinking about getting one!

Oh and tax is 35 quid a year on 100s iirc

I said big turbos tbf :p

Not sure on results etc, but they're generally what you upgrade on diesels. Along with a massively strong clutch! Lol

Not sure on tuning companies, since you're down south! Maybe JMS would have a stab? Lol
You don't want a generic map though, pay for a good rolling road sesh to see the best results.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I said big turbos tbf :p

Not sure on results etc, but they're generally what you upgrade on diesels. Along with a massively strong clutch! Lol

Not sure on tuning companies, since you're down south! Maybe JMS would have a stab? Lol
You don't want a generic map though, pay for a good rolling road sesh to see the best results.

arh sorry, meant the post two up from your's (you must of posted when I was typing a reply), but thank you, lol, take it a stonger clutch is an expensive thing to get hold of?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
fuel is nothing. i get 35mpg all the time.. 35mpg is good in one of these cars.

And you say your a student, but you looking at spending hundreds in big turbos and remaping it

Im not looking at spending loads, Im curious as to what can be done to a dci.

Sport is still out the question. End of.

Listerine & Poledo
stick with what you've got, otherwise you'll only be pouring more money into a different car that you dont really want

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
stick with what you've got, otherwise you'll only be pouring more money into a different car that you dont really want

Starting to think that to be honest. Although I am still thinking of a 1.6 16v as I wouldn't do any mods to it other than putting my current exhaust system on it and putting it on coilovers. But not sure on what they are like performance wise?

By all accounts diesel is better for town driving, remaps see good gains as well. £35 a year for tax and 50+ MPG are main reasons to get a Dci compared to the 39-42MPG and £155 a year for a 1.6

As for using the current exhaust, pretty sure the 1.4/1.6 exhaust system is different to the 1.2, but I may be wrong.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
By all accounts diesel is better for town driving, remaps see good gains as well. £35 a year for tax and 50+ MPG are main reasons to get a Dci compared to the 39-42MPG and £155 a year for a 1.6

As for using the current exhaust, pretty sure the 1.4/1.6 exhaust system is different to the 1.2, but I may be wrong.

hmmmmm, decisions decisions! Looking more like I may end up keeping the 1.2 :(

The K-tec system I have is able to fit onto the 1.6 16v, double checked that when I bought it.

Listerine & Poledo
unless the 1.2 is about to come apart the seams, then all you're doing is trading in one shopping trolley for another. (no offence intended).

keep sticking the money away, then upgrade in a couple of years to something that IS an upgrade when insurers will actually entertain the idea.

Oh, and if you have to, I'd say go diesel, more real-world power than the 1.6, cheaper to run and, if you insist on pouring money into it, remap will give you extra beans a lot cheaper than trying to screw BHP out of the petrol

I thought you'd need a different exhaust for a 1.6? Aren't they different sizes?

A 1.6 would be pointless IMO. It'll drive more or less the same as your 1.2, and you'll get used to the extra power in like a week..
At least a dCi is going to save you a fair wedge. Other than buying it, perhaps...

edit. just saw what you put about the exhaust.. is it just a back box? or a full cat back?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
unless the 1.2 is about to come apart the seams, then all you're doing is trading in one shopping trolley for another. (no offence intended).

keep sticking the money away, then upgrade in a couple of years to something that IS an upgrade when insurers will actually entertain the idea.

Oh, and if you have to, I'd say go diesel, more real-world power than the 1.6, cheaper to run and, if you insist on pouring money into it, remap will give you extra beans a lot cheaper than trying to screw BHP out of the petrol

Okay, the 1.2 is fine but its a 51 plate with 70,000 miles on the clock so starting to have to spend money on it. Changing drums, couple of bits needed replacing + a couple of problems atm, just getting fed up.

But thanks for the advice.

Main reason I upgraed to a 1.6 was because the reliability of the 1.2 was shocking, could never be certain it would start and the insurance on a 1*2 was rediculous at the time.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Main reason I upgraed to a 1.6 was because the reliability of the 1.2 was shocking, could never be certain it would start and the insurance on a 1*2 was rediculous at the time.

That's the problem I'm having at the moment.

RS200
Just keep the 1.2 and spend a bit of money fixing up what needs doing. If you bought a 1.6 or dci you'd spend at least £1k to get a newer, lower milage model anyway, and trust me you'll regret it after a month.

Spending £300 on your car and save the rest. The sports are not quick cars, actually pretty slow and most modern diesels will embarrass them nowadays, and the 1.6 is even slower. Stick with the 1.2, you're 19 and have plenty of time to have a nice car. You'd be much better off having a cheap car until you're 25, and putting as much money away as you can for a house or something worthwhile.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Just keep the 1.2 and spend a bit of money fixing up what needs doing. If you bought a 1.6 or dci you'd spend at least £1k to get a newer, lower milage model anyway, and trust me you'll regret it after a month.

Spending £300 on your car and save the rest. The sports are not quick cars, actually pretty slow and most modern diesels will embarrass them nowadays, and the 1.6 is even slower. Stick with the 1.2, you're 19 and have plenty of time to have a nice car. You'd be much better off having a cheap car until you're 25, and putting as much money away as you can for a house or something worthwhile.

Thank you for that advice, I think after having a read of most the post on here that will be my best bet. I think I'm just being impatient, as It seems alot of people my age have quicker, more powerful cars and Im getting tired of the 1.2 16v slowness. lol.

RS200
Thank you for that advice, I think after having a read of most the post on here that will be my best bet. I think I'm just being impatient, as It seems alot of people my age have quicker, more powerful cars and Im getting tired of the 1.2 16v slowness. lol.

At the moment, having a quick car seems important (and did to me at your age) but it really isn't. Fast forward 4-5 years, and all your mates are skint but have had nice cars, and you've got a wedge in the bank but have put up with normal cars. Trust your elders... ;)

If you're seriously considering changing cars, go and have a look around a dCi and a 1.6 and have a test drive etc - you're the only one who will be able to decide if it's worth changing tbh!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
At the moment, having a quick car seems important (and did to me at your age) but it really isn't. Fast forward 4-5 years, and all your mates are skint but have had nice cars, and you've got a wedge in the bank but have put up with normal cars. Trust your elders... ;)

You sound like my parents :rasp: I can see the logic, and I hope my patients pays off. Just seems like I'm stuck in a 1.2 whilst my mates are cruising about in 2.0L's and 1.8Turbo Diesels