ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 8 valve progress thread :)

I wasn't been negative by my harsh comment (ironic I know) but when you get a few more months/years of running/modifying/gaining ideas about cars you will look at what you have done and regret it. Tbh if you had lowered it with the g60 wheels on it already and then updated us on here with your black "work in progress" bonnet it wouldn't of been so bad. Its amazing how many people over look the expensive first steps like lowering and wheels but that is what makes the difference. I know it's a 1.2 8v and don't want to sound retarded, but when i was younger i had the same engine and for s***s and gigs I fitted an open cone and they do sound surprisingly good, like you say you can't afford a 1*2 and not like your after gaining power anyways.

DCI100
Im quite happy to listen to peoples critisism x i also thinnk you have to start somewhere and i chose body wkrk. Others may have chose stance and wheelz but thats there.choice.

:) im hoping has the car progresses people will begin to understand my concepts on how i want it to look, because i have it pretty well planned in my head. Maybe ill get a friend to photoshop it for me so you guys can check it out. And tell me whT you think.

Hope you guys like it eventually the car has alot of work to be done.

Also talking about cone airfilters and so on. I have a spair k&n cone filter laying around so i will be fitting that at some point vrry soon. Then also ill be welding up a removable cat/decat. Mainly so itll pass mot ! But priority for this.month coming after christmas is lowering the car on 60 mm springs alround.

Vectra
whats your plans for it? all i have read is that you want bits sprayed black?

as much as you want to be different , some styles that have been done and copied can often be the best but im with you on the fact that you want to stand out and be different sorta thing...what look you going for?

DCI100
whats your plans for it? all i have read is that you want bits sprayed black?

as much as you want to be different , some styles that have been done and copied can often be the best but im with you on the fact that you want to stand out and be different sorta thing...what look you going for?

Firstly cheers for interest :)

Anyhow, ill be lowering it 60mm i wanted more but i need the car to drive to work,

Golf g60 steel wheels cayse they look sick and theyll be finished in black.

Cut the boot lid relocate the number plate at the bottom, so.that it just fits and complete dewipered.

Remove side bump strips, and put foglights in.

Then were getting some where close to what i want it to look like!

I dont know about the order that will be.done in but.lowering is definetely next :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

Cut the boot lid relocate the number plate at the bottom, so.that it just fits and complete dewipered.

Now then .. sorry for sounding negative .. but this is what I see:

A standard, nice car, which would have been fine left alone but maybe with some nice OEM alloys and a subtle drop would look a tad better - will instead basically have the steel wheels removed, and some others put on .. then you're going for a 1994 style smooth look which looks crashed at the front and like a campus from behind !?

I'm not having a go .. I'm obviously just old and can't see what this is going to look like the way you can... photoshop needed I feel !

DCI100
Now then .. sorry for sounding negative .. but this is what I see:

A standard, nice car, which would have been fine left alone but maybe with some nice OEM alloys and a subtle drop would look a tad better - will instead basically have the steel wheels removed, and some others put on .. then you're going for a 1994 style smooth look which looks crashed at the front and like a campus from behind !?

I'm not having a go .. I'm obviously just old and can't see what this is going to look like the way you can... photoshop needed I feel !

I see your opinions and undrrstand them, however g60 steels arnt just your normal steel and have become a bit of a cult item in the vdub scene. They look like this http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?si...st=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=g60+golf+wheels#i=30

Im not certain the g60 wheels will work even with them rebored but im going to gice it a dam good go and will looking for a company to help me fit them soon.

Eventually the car should look quite subtle, no horrible spoliers or anything stupid just smooth lines and low

Vectra
Firstly cheers for interest :)

Anyhow, ill be lowering it 60mm i wanted more but i need the car to drive to work,

Then were getting some where close to what i want it to look like!

I dont know about the order that will be.done in but.lowering is definetely next :)

you going euro? if your getting g60 wheels ad say save your money for coilovers as much you need you the car for work 60mm springs with those wheels just wouldn't look right imo so coilovers would be your better option...but still if i where you ad go for the ph2 rear end meaning the ph2 boot/rear bumper and get the Cup spoiler along with skirts...and ph1 172 front bumper...with say lenso bsx alloys thats what ad do....but good luck with the progress

TT QS
no point in springs imo. much harsher than my coilies. may as well get those cheap raceland coilies at like £200 if im correct
not sure if they do them for your car but thats just my view. atleast your doing something different. maybe when its done itll look better than you can describe it if you get what i mean lol
defo paint the black though

Mk3 clio 1.5
dont think ive seen so many posts for one picture lol. Everyone has their own point and opinion, Theres not problem with rattle canning if you know how to prerp and spray, my car has all been done by myself and a rattle can.

But the bonet doesnt look great, but once you get a few other bits done, and other bits in black, hopfully it wont look out of place.

DCI100
Can anyone post me a link to some sub 300 pound coilovers for the.1.28valve? As i think the supsension set up.is slightly different on the 8 valve compared to the 16 valve and bigger engine models?

Thanks for the more constructive comments :) really looking forward.to.getting the car.sitting.low after christmas :)

Cheers guys

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
iv commented before on this one never seen so many people comment on so few pics haha. still interested in how this will turn out im not going to **** any mods off because its not completed what may look a bit out of place now may fall in line with the rest of your plans, its your car do as you want with it but i have noticed im my short time on cs that everybody trys to give good advice and critisism sometimes said in the wrong way basicaly putting you down. think you defo need photoshop your idaes then youve got a plan of what your after and maybe some people wont be so harsh to you mate .

DCI100
iv commented before on this one never seen so many people comment on so few pics haha. still interested in how this will turn out im not going to **** any mods off because its not completed what may look a bit out of place now may fall in line with the rest of your plans, its your car do as you want with it but i have noticed im my short time on cs that everybody trys to give good advice and critisism sometimes said in the wrong way basicaly putting you down. think you defo need photoshop your idaes then youve got a plan of what your after and maybe some people wont be so harsh to you mate .

Cheers mate, I'll try and have a photoshop done pretty quickly.

Anybody know of coil overs for the 8valve model?

Vectra
have a hunt round ebay , since your going with them g60 wheels you want to be slammed and with the rear should get custom springs

1.2 16V Dynamique
A bit of advice may be to not necessarily post up prematurely in future? As you said you have the plans in your head and you know what you want to do, and all other people to go on is the photo you have put up. Good luck with the project anyway, here's hoping it will turn out as a decent car :)

DCI100
I agree at the.moment it does look likr a bag of s**t. But its a progress.blog and progress is happening (slowly).

Nice set back over christmas, i had to buy and fit new front disks pads and calipers has one caliper had seazed causing the other lock up violently because all braki was going to one side .

Now the brakes are ace on it. And im trying to.find myself a set of coilovers for it, asap!

Ill be continuing with body work too in the coming weeks, really just removal of a small bit of rust and a few small dents.

Will show before and afters.

RenaultSport 172.
unfortunately they only go 70mm low max

thats with the helper spring still in.

If you want a lower drop, remove the helper spring, you'l get another 30mm or so out of that :)

DCI100
thats with the helper spring still in.

If you want a lower drop, remove the helper spring, you'l get another 30mm or so out of that :)

That's the best news I've had all day lol. Now I'm just waiting till payday to buy them as I don't have the money this month. Can't wait should look sickkk.

DCI100
Small update, just bought some 172 alloys off here, will post pictures as soon as there painted and on the car.

Probably will want these changed in the future though.

DCI100
No thanks.

New wheels will be painted on Friday and fitted asap. I'll have my standard wheels for sale with good tires for.sale asap. So if anyone wants them just pm and ill post pictures etc.

IMAG0170.gif

I actually can't believe someone hasn't mentioned this yet but here goes...

I'm going on the assumption that this is your first car, which is fair enough, but you seem to be just diving in with all these plans of modifying without a thought to other aspects of the car.

You just said you had a set back with the car, being that you needed new brakes. My advice is, before you do any more modifying in any way shape or form, make sure the car is in tip top condition. Get it serviced, make sure the timing belt has been changed, make sure you are not going to have any unexpected bills come MOT time. I made the big mistake of just assuming the car was fine, then bang, timing belt snapped leaving me with a FUBAR'd engine. There is absolutely no point in buying coilovers/alloys/spraying parts when the car itself doesn't work !

TT QS
Not being funny BUT...
You said you didnt intend to style it like a 172 and youve got 172 wheels. Not moaning I have them they're nice

You said you wanted g60 wheels.

Why waste money on something you said you didn't intend doing or didn't want? Don't see the point tbh.
Good luck with what you do but seems as though your 'different' plan isn't going like you said

DCI100
The car is well serviced running spot on. No.problems cambelt was done about 12 000 miles ago mate :)
N
I keep money aside for servicing the car and I usually only pay for parts as I do the work myself.

Yes I did say that however I do like these wheels. I'm thinking I will probably change them in the future for g60's as I've still got my mind set on them. At the.moment I'm happy to have them on though :)

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
I agree with dm_26, don't piss about painting things here and there and wasting money on extras when you should be prioritising over the more important things first. A car can look smart but be an absolute turd underneath.

DCI100
It's not a turd underneath as you put it. Well maintained and serviced since I've owned it. Done about 3500 miles in the few months I've had and its ran spot on apart from the brake caliper seizing which couldn't really be helped.

It's not a turd underneath as you put it. Well maintained and serviced since I've owned it. Done about 3500 miles in the few months I've had and its ran spot on apart from the brake caliper seizing which couldn't really be helped.

Not trying to be funny mate, or in any way say that your wrong about your car since I've never met you or the car but my 1.2 8v was running sweet as a nut when I had it, then because I thought it was well maintained and spent all my money on crap that I didn't need for it, loads of things started to go wrong with it that I couldn't afford to fix, i.e. cambelt etc. Remember its a V reg? so its nearly 13 years old which means a lot of parts will be on there way out naturally just down to age alone.

Grande 1.2
Hey man, I like your ideas. Ive got the exact same car ha!! and gone for a similar approach.....

IMAG0206.jpg

Mines still unfinished! need to get fogs, and finish the colour code. The carbon bonnet is real. Looks sweet on the silver models i think, especially the more modern ones. :cool: I too started with many many haters :clown:

172 wheels are nice too :cool:

also everyones advice here is spot on! take it on board :)

Last edited:
  DCI100
Cheers boys :) liking your car matt would be nice for it too go lower? Maybe I like slammed cars too much I'm not sure. It's still early days with the project so I just gotta keep at it really.

Your tires look like there stretch mate ? Or is that standard size its hard to tell by the photos. Can some one tell.me the tires there running on there 172 wheels and cost?

I do maintain the car I'm a second year engineer apprentice and have a quiet a lot of experience around me to help and guide me when it comes to looking after my car and modifying it :)

I've got the fogs for mine just gotta pick em up of a mate.

Grande 1.2
good luck with the fogs dude. my wheels are just standard 172s, i got them off here for £200, including delivery and a spare wheel. good deal i thought, as they are in ace condition! i like it at the height its at... but the blue clio a few pages back looked beut at the height its at! maybe you should aim for that and show us how its done :L

DCI100
Have to admit mate, I want it slammed. Well as much as possible. Mine were 100 and had just Bern reconditioned so there like New. Now tires is the expensive bit!

I'm holding off on buying coilys at the moment because of the sheer cost but payday is soon so hopefully ill be buying them within a week or too. there the biggest cost at this stage of the project.

I mean 400 is quite a lot of money really. But it'll be worth it.

Grande 1.2
aye mate will be worth every penny as long as its all done right :cool: good luck, ill keep an eye on this thread

DCI100
Haven't updated this in a little while, currently working on rebuilding the top half of the engine as i had noticed the rubber seals at the back of the block were weeping oil out the back. ( dammit ) any how i'll post pictures soon.

I've had the head of and that will be sent of to be skimmed today or tomorrow, fitted a new water pump cleaned up the head surface on the clio. And the rest will be going back together very shortly.

Engine and pistons are in good condition as i expected they would be. Today I'm sanding down, applying some filler etc... of a small patch of rust just above the rear bumper.

Never easy with old cars. but it'll be there soon.

DCI100
Slow slow progress but today i removed the first small patch of rust on the sill, took a couple of pictures. dissapointed in the paint match as the pearl in the paint i bought is to dark. may consider having the 3 patches im doing painted professionally and blended in.

IMAG0347.gif

After Paint. The colour is a b**ch to match, but blended in reasonably well
IMAG0351.gif

DCI100
shoes.gif
New wheels for the car. decided on these over the 172 wheels. picking up and fitting them tomorrow. quite looking forward to that.

Then to get the engine timed up and put back together! busy day tomorrow. lets hop it doesn't rain too bad tomorrow! will post photos of the engine going back together tomorrow

Looking to tidy the car up before I lower especially after the cost of repairs.