ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v conversion to 1.6, volvo 1.7 or golf??

Clio
hi there, was wondering if someone could point me in the right directions with some figures and general info. i got a black 1.2 16v on a 02 plate. been planning the conversion for a while, got all the exterior and interior done now....
so i was most wanting the 1.6 16v clio engine tbh. how easy is that to fit/if not easy the price for someone else to do the work? what vw engine is it that people use as well??is that a straight fit?also wanted to fit discs on the back to replace drums ready for new engine/look.would anyone here be willing to fit any of these?or be willing to help with a guide?i have on worked with a off-road go-kart engine before never anything this advanced (in my eyes). ideally i would like to have the conversion done within a week aswell.....is it possible?cant be out of work long.any ideas on the price of each of the engines as well and charges you might charge if interested on taking this project on board with me?alternatively...supercharger...in a 1.2, has this ever been done?!?just trying to throw some ideas in the hat!i live 15 mins out of Crawley in Sussex.all opinions welcome,cheers
laneo

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
why not fit a 172 engine, Drive int oK-tec, Give them a Few Grand and then drive out with 2.0 16v power?

Supercharged/Turbo;d 1.2 would have poor gains and cost more than a 2.0 conversion which would give you more power.

The VW lump is the 1,8 20V Turbo, Out of many VAG cars, Hardly a bolt in engine.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i looked into 1.6 16v engine when i blew my old 1.2 16v up, same hastle to do a 2.0 16v engine as it is to do a 1.6 16v, all the same parts need to be changed.

conversions are only worth it if you can do all the work yourself and even at that its a bit of hastle!

as for supercharging or turbo charging the 1.2 16v engine it costs mega money if you want serious power and even at that it wont get mega gains!

Clio
what we talking about in terms of tecnicality?can anyone do it with a haynes or is this complicated stuff?the stuff i've heard about the wiring loom problems and things like PAS and ABS not working is offputting...is there any way to stop this happening?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
well mounts are the same, suspension is the same, driveshafts are the same so it all fits straight in no problem.

UCH needs changed and decoded at renault once its up and running, your best bet is to buy a rear ended car and swap the lot over!

its not the sort of thing my gran could do with a haynes manual but its not impossible

Clio
whats a UCH?will the car run without this being decoded as obviously i will need to drive it to renault to get it decoded!how much does this decoding cost?there's little things like how do i lift the bloody lumps in and out?!i'm a strong lad.....but i'm pretty sure my weight to muscle power isn't enough to get the old engine out and lift the new one in!if i got a full engine, gearbox and full looms do they just connect straight on the old fitments?where to the main problems lie once the engine is sitting happily in there?things like keys working in the ignition barrel and imobilisers etc?do u mean a rear end written off 172?how much can you pick them up for?would i have to upgrade to discs at the back?have you done this conversion yourself?

LY 182
imo if you have to ask too many of the mechanical questions its not worth doing.
i do it for a living and im in the middle of a 172 conversion at the mo
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=305546
there are bits of wiring im struggeling with,, its only a relatively easy swap if you can get hold of a complete and un cut engine, dash, rear and door looms from a 172 cup.

and no you cant drive it untill its decoded or the immobilisers been set up, thats the whole point of it being coded