ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

04 182 Gearbox

Morning lads,

I've just recently bought an 04 plate 182, I've had a couple of Clios in the past but they've always been 172's and this isn't a problem I've had before!

Basically, my gearbox is knackered - I think (I'm not a mechanic and know fairly little about how a car works) - It's making a weird sound when I drive, doesn't go into 5th at all (sounds like it's hitting a spinning gear so I don't even bother trying) and has started to pop out of 2nd gear when I'm coming to a stop without putting my clutch down.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. I drive about 10 miles each way to work every day and have not been using it other than that - I know it's probably just luck but does anyone know if there are any indicators on when it will stop working completely? I travel along a single lane, busy backroad to work and don't really fancy breaking down there and won't get it in a garage until the weekend.

2. What should I be looking for gearbox wise? I've read it's a JC5130 - Should I pick one up myself or let the garage order one in?

3. Is it a difficult job? Should I expect to pay a lot for this fix? When I called they said the engine 'might need to come out?

4. Again, it might be car specific but, whilst that's being done - Should anything else be?

Sorry that I'm a bit clueless and don't have any videos or anything - If needed I can get one

Thanks,

Sean

Renault Clio 172
what sort of noise is it making when you drive mate? whirring or other?

Theres not really any indication when the gearbox will let go, mine went bang about a month ago and drove spot on up until that point, no noises either.

I'd definatly source a gearbox yourself as it will probably save you money off the total cost of the job, you have plenty of options used/rebuilt. JC5 130 is the box you have in your 182 but you could also use a JC5 129 or JC5 089 but would have to block off the speedo drives which isn't a problem. @NorthloopCup is the man for a rebuilt gearbox and could sort you out for a good price.

Its not a difficult job to do, they could take it out the top with the engine or from the bottom by dropping the subframe. I've recently done mine on a 172 and it took probably 10 hrs all in, including doing the rack and arb bushes, this was on the driveway and box out the bottom.

Whilst its been done, i'd definatly have a clutch in (valeo £100), steering rack bushes and atleast the inner anti roll bar bushes as these are all alot easier to get to with the gearbox off, (polys for the above are about £80). you could also have the upper and lower gearbox mounts done if you wanted, (about £25 for the pair of febi OE replacements)

what sort of noise is it making when you drive mate? whirring or other?

Theres not really any indication when the gearbox will let go, mine went bang about a month ago and drove spot on up until that point, no noises either.

I'd definatly source a gearbox yourself as it will probably save you money off the total cost of the job, you have plenty of options used/rebuilt. JC5 130 is the box you have in your 182 but you could also use a JC5 129 or JC5 089 but would have to block off the speedo drives which isn't a problem. @NorthloopCup is the man for a rebuilt gearbox and could sort you out for a good price.

Its not a difficult job to do, they could take it out the top with the engine or from the bottom by dropping the subframe. I've recently done mine on a 172 and it took probably 10 hrs all in, including doing the rack and arb bushes, this was on the driveway and box out the bottom.

Whilst its been done, i'd definatly have a clutch in (valeo £100), steering rack bushes and atleast the inner anti roll bar bushes as these are all alot easier to get to with the gearbox off, (polys for the above are about £80). you could also have the upper and lower gearbox mounts done if you wanted, (about £25 for the pair of febi OE replacements)

Hey, thanks for getting back to me! It's not a whirring noise, it's more like what I imagine two spinning gears would sound like if they were rubbing one another - Kind of a metally scraping sound - It's substantially quieter if I keep my accelerator above 50% but still noticeable

I appreciate you passing on @NorthloopCup for a rebuil but I can see gearboxes on Ebay for £140 and don't really have the luxury of being able to keep my car off of the road for too long - So it's probably an easier option for me to just buy one, but I'd be interested in a price nonetheless, just in case?

I think I will get the rest of the things you've mentioned done also, I'm not sure what bushes are but I done a search on here and found they can reduce future problems among other things? I wouldn't have known that, so thanks for that pointer!

Thanks for your help @Bunta!