ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 - Perfect No More (Being fixed so it's all OK (Courtesy post#149))

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've just done a new insurance quote, I only insured the Z4 a week ago, it's gone up over £500

That's a 50% increase for having a car hit mine whilst parked.

Insurance companies are honestly the biggest cnuts on earth

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The estimate thing is fine mate just get it at a later date. :)

The insurance thing is kinda still right though. You are statstically more likely to be hit than someone who hasn't. That you can't deny. It's not fair but there you go.

If something happened to my car i'd be looking into compensation from the 3rd party for devaluing the car. It's something i've been researching recently but nothing concrete yet.

Nice A3!

whats happened here, rob pretended he's been hit to justify wanting a diesel and has paid laura off to smash her car up?

or am i wide of the mark?

Re: Z4 - Perfect No More

JD - I didn't know you were up there? FFS! I think that's the day I leave! Just checked, yep!

What are you there for?

A well earned break fella. Staying in the cottage we chatted about ages ago when you posted photos of the clio up there. Near Patterdale?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Look forward to seeing the Zed mate, Better come for a visit! Im off all weekend.. Hope its sorted in time

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I'd be happy with that.Lets hope they match the silver ok on the repair.Its a bugger to make right tbh.

Once its done pull on a tesco forecourt at night.Those lights show up everything...

All the best with it though...

I've just done a new insurance quote, I only insured the Z4 a week ago, it's gone up over £500

That's a 50% increase for having a car hit mine whilst parked.

Insurance companies are honestly the biggest cnuts on earth

This is the biggest joke. I could even understand if it was a non fault accident that you were involved in, but they need to draw the line somewhere... Someone hitting your parked vehicle takes the biscuit.

TTRS & V50
Statistically your more likely to be involved in a crash because of this, hence the larger premium.

Absolute joke, however different insurance companies handle it different, the small ones tend to turn a blind eye to it if you tell them the circumstances.

People like Admiral are s**t for this thing. They hiked my insurance up about £150 for someone sliding into my car in the snow whilst parked and I DIDN'T even claim, but because I rang and asked for advise they noted it down as an accident.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The estimate thing is fine mate just get it at a later date. :)

The insurance thing is kinda still right though. You are statstically more likely to be hit than someone who hasn't. That you can't deny. It's not fair but there you go.

If something happened to my car i'd be looking into compensation from the 3rd party for devaluing the car. It's something i've been researching recently but nothing concrete yet.

Nice A3!

I'm sorry Kev, but that really is utter s**t, proper proper bullshit.

I can understand saying that someone who has been in an accident is more likely to have another, but I have no been in an accident, someone hit a parked car for f**k sake! The fact this has happened has change NOTHING to do with my likelyhood to have another accident.

whats happened here, rob pretended he's been hit to justify wanting a diesel and has paid laura off to smash her car up?

or am i wide of the mark?

Not too far off treacle, not just a pretty face <3

What engine is in the a3?, That's a quality courtesy car!

TDI A3'S >petrols all day long!

One that sounds like a tractor? Fudged if I know.

A well earned break fella. Staying in the cottage we chatted about ages ago when you posted photos of the clio up there. Near Patterdale?

Real shame we're not there at the same time! Would have been a good time to grab some lunch or something with the women.

Look forward to seeing the Zed mate, Better come for a visit! Im off all weekend.. Hope its sorted in time

I hope it's sorted too, or I'll be driving this tractor to somewhere I love enjoying the roads. Kill me.

I'd be happy with that.Lets hope they match the silver ok on the repair.Its a bugger to make right tbh.

Once its done pull on a tesco forecourt at night.Those lights show up everything...

All the best with it though...

I'm worried about the silver match myself, I'll be REALLY REALLY REALLY scrutinising it myself before I say I'm happy with it.

German car for German car.

I fail to see a problem!

Zee new German-ness is not as fun as zee old one!

THAT'S NOT A COURTESY CAR IT'S A HIRE CAR !

PEDANTIC !

Hate customers like you, lol.

What's the difference then Pedantic man?

This is the biggest joke. I could even understand if it was a non fault accident that you were involved in, but they need to draw the line somewhere... Someone hitting your parked vehicle takes the biscuit.

You're f**king telling me, 50% increase in my premium because some stupid ginger c**t can't drive.

Statistically your more likely to be involved in a crash because of this, hence the larger premium.

Absolute joke, however different insurance companies handle it different, the small ones tend to turn a blind eye to it if you tell them the circumstances.

People like Admiral are s**t for this thing. They hiked my insurance up about £150 for someone sliding into my car in the snow whilst parked and I DIDN'T even claim, but because I rang and asked for advise they noted it down as an accident.

Thing is, that's utter bullshit, see what I said above to Kev.

Never nice to happen at any time but to happen when you have just got a new car must be twice as maddening! Sorry to see this and I hope they get it sorted for you and do a good job :) I can't believe they are hiring the A3 out at that price it is such rip off! When my daily broke down and got recovered BMW have an agreement that the hire car is a like for like replacement or better, they gave me a brand new 3 litre diesel X5 M-sport and when I read the hire agreement it was only costing mondial assistance (BMW) £33 a day!

Can any of the bodyshop or insurance guys clarify but i'm fairly sure that the cost of that hire car for the duration you have it will be added to the claim amount that you have to state to your insurance claim come renewal time? I am fairly sure it does from previous experience of when my dad got driven into a few years ago. So if it takes them 3 weeks to repair then it will add just shy of 4k to the claim of the incident :S As mentioned in your other thread it infuriates me how so many insurers will charge you extra even though you have done nothing wrong :( Hope you get sorted and I will look forward to seeing the photos from the repair when completed :)!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Really dont understand the rise.

Mine didn't go up after my car was hit in a carpark. I think it went down...

Zero fault, zero cost 'claim'.

Greenlight FTW.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It is bullshit mate. That's insurance in general! Full of bullshit!

It's all about stats.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
In terms of the courtesy car situation, I think if I was hit by a third party and offered like for like then I'd turn it down.
The reason being that the cost per day of you being in that car actually goes on to the costs of the repairs so even if the cost of the damage to your car is below the total loss threshold it can be pushed over by the cost of having the spaffy courtesy car you demanded to have.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sadly Ollie that isn't taken into consideration until it's too late in most of our cases. Some of the hire car bills are, as you shockingly high.

Accident management and hire car companies. The true cost of rising premiums.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not sure that's the case Ollie?

They've assessed my car and are already repairing it starting today, say this took three weeks... After they're half way through my courtesy car pushes it over the 66% threshold so would they then stop and scrap my motor???

I didn't "demand" the nice car, I just said yes when asked if I wanted one, TBH I did that for three reasons:

1) I've done nothing wrong here so why should I drive around in a POS?
2) I'm currently doing quite a lot of mileage on motorways so I wouldn't want to be in a 1.0 Micra
3) I'm project manager on a new job at work, being the youngest of my team, I'd look even more like a "youth" in some pony motor, so I need to arrive in something half decent.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think Ollie worded it correctly although on his side of the repair industry it might be a lot different due to the expense involved.

The 65% threshold is for repair costs vs Pre accident value.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'll kick up the biggest fuss known to man, but hopefully one of the insurance boys can tell us where I'd actually stand.

Kind of wish I'd taken it to BMW now... there's one local too.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
be reet :) why dont you ask them to toutch in the bits like the filler cap you mentioned while they are at it, might do you a good deal and take a bit more effort over it if they are getting more work out of it

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is the petrol cap on the drivers side mate?

What should be painted/blended is...

Wing, door, sill guard, 1/4 panel. The only miss match would be, Wing to bonnet. There should be no new colour on the back half of the 1/4 panel if they know what they're doing.

You can return it as many times as you want if you're not happy, eventually the assessor will get involved and decide if you have a case.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I don't think Ollie worded it correctly although on his side of the repair industry it might be a lot different due to the expense involved.

The 65% threshold is for repair costs vs Pre accident value.

This. Excuse my wording Rob, wasn't aimed directly at you.

We've had a case just today where we have had a 8000 mile 60 plate Honda CRV written off. A car which was 28k new.
Perfectly repairable, as are most things but its a big repair, needing a quarter, sill, pair of doors, pair of airbags, and rear suspension as the car was spun and its clouted a kerb.
Parts alone come in at circa 9k + VAT and the car is valued at circa 19k. The allowed repair total including VAT could not exceed 13k.

Now Honda have a scheme in place that means they can reduce some of the bigger and more expensive parts by as much as nearly 50% in the case where a car is nearly a write off but as soon as the third party heard she was in a like for like courtesy car they immediately killed it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Great post Ollie. Explains it well. Interesting developments in the discounts from dealers I find. I was on a course at the start of 2011 about it and was superb insight.

Recycled parts also of use in todays market. No one really wins out a total loss except the insured on some occasions.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Sadly Ollie that isn't taken into consideration until it's too late in most of our cases. Some of the hire car bills are, as you shockingly high.

When some lovely gentleman (c**t) decided to forget to brake into my M6, the terms of the insurance were a like for like replacement. Because this was going to cost the insurer a fair whack, they offered me a £400 lump sum and a VW Golf size car instead. I accepted :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL!

Kev, the petrol cap is on the other side, just phoned them, they'll do it cash but cannot guarantee it'll be a perfect match as it isn't going to be blended in. I said I'd be happier with a perfect cap that isn't a 1000000000% match than I am with a chipped up one!

The guy knew exactly what he was talking about with regards to blending in all new panels.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect mate, shame it wasn't on the N/S. Get it done at the same time. 2 minutes paints the fuel flap though.

What you doing about the wheel? Marked?

TTRS & V50
In terms of the courtesy car situation, I think if I was hit by a third party and offered like for like then I'd turn it down.
The reason being that the cost per day of you being in that car actually goes on to the costs of the repairs so even if the cost of the damage to your car is below the total loss threshold it can be pushed over by the cost of having the spaffy courtesy car you demanded to have.

Exactly, and having a hissy fit that the car is a deisel is pathetic hence my customer comment. It seems myself, ollie and gally work in a bodyshop and know this all too well. It's the British, something for nothing attitude.

Anyway, a hire car is from a hire company in which the insurance pays them, and a courtesy car is from the bodyshop in which the bodyshop provide in good faith.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Exactly, and having a hissy fit that the car is a deisel is pathetic hence my customer comment. It seems myself, ollie and gally work in a bodyshop and know this all too well. It's the British, something for nothing attitude.

Anyway, a hire car is from a hire company in which the insurance pays them, and a courtesy car is from the bodyshop in which the bodyshop provide in good faith.

Hardly when I'm supposed to be going on holiday in the car... I don't exactly see myself enjoy the roads in the Lakes with 5,000 RPM to play with. If mine's out before the 24th I'll be happy enough.

I can't believe you genuinely think it's a something for nothing attitude though, if I'd smashed my car up, or been in an accident, fair enough... but the car was parked outside a mates house on quiet crescent, there's no way I should suffer because ginger pubes wants to drive like a t**t.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well we we didn't exactly say that to be fair. Rob's only gripe was he was offered like for like, their words not his and he never got that, on reflection he realises that it's not all bad.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You put that better than I did. Why use the term like for like then give me a 5dr diesel to be equal to a 2 door, 2 seat petrol?

If they'd said "would you like a high quality rental" then fair enough, but his exact words were "do you require a like for like rental car" to which I said yes and he said OK...