ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z3 engine noise

So just as we decide to sell it after trouble free motoring it decides to develop a scary sounding fault! At idle (and presumably under load but ive not tested as dint want to make things worse) it sounds like something is loose and rattling around the engine, Sometimes it's slow and loud knocking and then as it is in the video below. Engine is a 2.0 straight 6 twin vanos m52. Mrsduck tells me it drives fine still and certainly drove ok last night when I last drove it.

I thought possibly water pump as the bearings are known to go and so thought it might be knocking? All help appreciated as I need this back on the road asap.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums...E-880E-DF5F49B8DB20-2785-000004F3E566E406.mp4

LY FF182
Just had this on my mums 1.9 Z3.. Was the water pump bearings.. Made a horrid noise for a few months so change the pump and sorted. easy on these by the way!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Can't watch the video just yet, but have you checked the oil level?? These can make a right racket if it gets low.

If it is the waterpump its nice and easy indeed and will be a plus point come selling!

New water pump fitted and problem solved. It was the bearing on the old pump that had failed and was making the noise.

Anyone want to buy a z3 with brand new water pump fitted? ;-)