ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

YLOD or Red Light of Death!!!!

focus st3
does anyone know any reliable PS3 repairers, Leeds.

got the red light of death and a disc in the console. its an old fat 4 year old version, but keeps my son very happy. :( until we woke up to it not working. all the places i've found on the web are £70 upwards and send it off and never see it again.

:(
HELP

Bumder With A Buffer
Id be willing to do it if I were closer. I did gally's one a little while ago, it worked for a bit then fcuked up.

But thats down to the pleb mainly putting it in the oven before sending it to me and breaking the heatsink ontop of the cpu.

If you could get it to me cheaply id do it for a small fee.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
FPMSL!

<3 You baldy!

I bought a slim and sold the wreckage of the PS3 online for £69!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I know nothing about them mate but I got a good price and spunked some money on a slim. :)

I watch a lot of Blu-rays so it's a bargain to me.

Listerine & Poledo
PS Pros
Bow, London

do a repair service by mail. £60 including a new cooling fan (quieter but 'cooler')

They'll also do you an extended warranty while you're at ity (2 years, £25).

They did my blu ray drive, and with the warranty they're about to fix my YLOD'd PS3 too, no charge

Bumder With A Buffer
H'actually..

YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) - £69.99* Does your system immediately shut down after turning it on? We can fix this for you! Not only do we repair this problem, we perform custom upgrades to help prevent it from returning. No other company can offer this! FREE Cooling Fan (£15 value).

* Please note that all prices are before VAT.

focus st3
The symptoms you have would suggest an over heating , or gpu issue try these steps below first, as in some cases may resolve the problem if the fault is heat related
1.vacuum the vents to remove the dust
2.Ensure the PS3 is not in an enclosed area, example book case
3. Leave unit off for 30mins so it may cool fully
4. Perform a fan test, this will force the dust from inside the unit, this should not be done on a regular basis as can cause over faults, first turn the back power switch off , now press the eject button and turn the back power switch back on at the same time
If the above has not resolved the issue, then its likely to be due to a gpu fault, this is caused by the solder joints cracking, we can resolve this by using an infra red rework station to reflow the solder balls, we charge £50 for this service in branch , we also provide a collect and return service for £14, once the repair is complete the unit will be left to run for 24hrs to ensure the issue is fully resolved, most units are returned to the client within 3 - 5 days. If you would like to have your unit collected please reply with your contact details and when you would like your console to be collected, if no day is requested we will book your collection for the next available day, |We do not
require any payment until your unit has been fully repaired. All units include a 30 day return to base warranty. We can repair 90% of console faults the other 10% would require new mother boards, this would cost more then a new console, in these 10% of cases we charge £20 fee cover our postage and admin cost, alternatively you can opt for us to retain the unit for spares.
If you have a disc still in the drive this will be returned to you, however on many ps3 systems you can eject the disk by doing the below
1. First shut down the system by the back power switch
2. Hold down the eject disc button.
3. While still holding down the eject button, switch the back power switch on.
4. When the green light comes on, wait a few seconds then tap the eject button a couple times. The fan will run on full power and the disc will eject

this was one good piece of advice, I GOT THE DISC OUT. yay

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
I had the ylod and had it repaired but few days later it bust again and was in a 60 warrenty that the company who did the repair gave me and they told me that they will repair it for free but it will break again and they will not repair it after that time even if its still in the 60 day window

So do i sell on ebay and buy a new console or try another company for the repair ?

focus st3
I had the ylod and had it repaired but few days later it bust again and was in a 60 warrenty that the company who did the repair gave me and they told me that they will repair it for free but it will break again and they will not repair it after that time even if its still in the 60 day window

So do i sell on ebay and buy a new console or try another company for the repair ?

i know your dilema cos do I spend £80 fixing it, for it to probably break again pretty soon, or spend the £80 probably on a xbox cos its cheaper. cant afford to buy a ps3 again. so maybe scrap it and magpie the games and put towards a new console. £159 for a 250gb xbox with a game.
thinking "sorry son, your coming back to the darkside, welcome to xbox"...again.

focus st3

i know your dilema cos do I spend £80 fixing it, for it to probably break again pretty soon, or spend the £80 probably on a xbox cos its cheaper. cant afford to buy a ps3 again. so maybe scrap it and magpie the games and put towards a new console. £159 for a 250gb xbox with a game.
thinking "sorry son, your coming back to the darkside, welcome to xbox"...again.

Listerine & Poledo

when you get a repair, ask if you can get extended warranty. Like I said, I only went in for a new drive, which cost, what, £70?
but because I got the 2-year warranty extension, I'm efectively paying £25 for a YLOD fix. If anything else happens, that'll be safe too.

oh, on an aside, the drive blew out 6 months outside of my Game 3-year warranty too, although they footed the bill for the repair thanks to Sale Of Goods Act and a local BBC radio consumer show.

clio 172 cup
I know im probably going to get slated for this but....

This happened to me last month. I put my ps3 back in its original box vents facing outwards towards me, got a hairdryer and blasted it 3 times for 10 mins with 5 min intervals inbetween note hairdryer at least 6 inches away from the vents. After this process i allowed it to cool on the window ledge for 30 min.
once cooled it turned on , i backed up all my data and removed my black ops. Took a trip to game and traded it in for a slim ;)

focus st3

This happened to me last month. I put my ps3 back in its original box vents facing outwards towards me, got a hairdryer and blasted it 3 times for 10 mins with 5 min intervals inbetween note hairdryer at least 6 inches away from the vents. After this process i allowed it to cool on the window ledge for 30 min.
once cooled it turned on , i backed up all my data and removed my black ops. Took a trip to game and traded it in for a slim ;)

anything is worth a try:S

Evo 8 MR
Why don't you do the obvious thing and call SCEE?

They will sell you a refurbished unit with a 3 month warranty for £60. They will take your old one in PX though.

Bumder With A Buffer

anything is worth a try:S

PLEEAASE dont do that.

focus st3
I have a man coming round tomorrow. and a few numbers of local guys in the local gumtree website.

shouldnt cost more than £30

Petrol Blue 182.
mines packed up too! any way i can just use the bluray drive? i only use it for that realy!

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Whats involved in the ylod fix as it will just be my look that it will break again and font want to spend even more on it lol

In two minds to either sell it as it is , trade it in aginst new one or keep fixing

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Whats involved in the ylod fix as it will just be my look that it will break again and font want to spend even more on it lol

In two minds to either sell it as it is , trade it in aginst new one or keep fixing

its not too complicated to do yourself (loads of guides on the net) but it WILL break again after a relatively short period of time.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
I think am gonna get all my data on to a external hard drive then trade it in against a new console then

There has been rumours for a while of a ps3 price cut, you may find once psn is back up they cut price like xbox have done of recent, if they do i am going to buy a second ps3 as back up

focus st3
all the guy did was put new paste on it. the worse bit was taking it to pieces and all the muck and dust :eek: then put it all back where it came from. it took him a hour, but there was a lot of talking crap about games etc etc.
I saw the set up on ebay - the gun and the paste etc. if it went again, I would probably try it myself. then BIN IT. :eek:

I cant believe i was considering sending to a shop for 3-5 days and paying £70 for it fixing. The guy did it in a hour and for £30, if I went to him £20. he came in a fiesta and it didnt cost him half as much in petrol LOL.

FF182.
My ps3 got this just over a month ago. Tried hairdryer fix etc but nothing, had to dismantle it to get the disc out and lost all my data except online stuff obv.

I bought a 250gb slim off play for 190 quid. happy now!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
all the guy did was put new paste on it. the worse bit was taking it to pieces and all the muck and dust :eek: then put it all back where it came from. it took him a hour, but there was a lot of talking crap about games etc etc.
I saw the set up on ebay - the gun and the paste etc. if it went again, I would probably try it myself. then BIN IT. :eek:

I cant believe i was considering sending to a shop for 3-5 days and paying £70 for it fixing. The guy did it in a hour and for £30, if I went to him £20. he came in a fiesta and it didnt cost him half as much in petrol LOL.

Expect to get 100 hours max out of it. Trade it in now whilst it's booting up and running

RS6 C7
when my ps3 went i just bought a new one without all the leads and controllers for £100 and then sold the broken one for £40, That way you get a new console for £60 cant be bad, That was for the fat one though but i think for a bit more you could get a slim ;)

Octy VRS
On one hand I want to say b****cks to Sony but weighing it all up I may get it repaired. PSPros repair for £69 and offer a 2 year warranty for £24+VAT. Buying an Xbox means buying everything else too, I haven't got the money really so a repair means I can get all my stuff back and I'll have another 2 years piece of mind.

Octy VRS
Took the PS3 to PSPros in NE London. Total backstreet set-up. Industrial estate unit with about 15 guys at desks fixing PS3's and Xbox's. They took mine and checked it, agreed YLOD and the guy took it apart. Took the main board out and chucked it in an oven thing. Took it out and put thermal paste on it and put it back together. Fired it up and it worked. 30 mins in total. There were probably 200 odd consoles there all waiting to be fixed as most take out their collect delivery service which is usually turned around in 4 days looking at reviews. The one guy I spoke to said he did about 10-15 a day.

Included in the total price of £80 inc. VAT was a USB twin fan that clips into the end USB. 3 month warranty with the option of taking out the £24 2 year warranty within 30 days of the fix, which I'll probably do. Unlimited fixes and if they can't will give you a replacement unit.

Fired it up and have been playing it all afternoon without problems so far. The USB fan is not quiet but still quieter than when the PS3 fan ramps up, which it hasn't so far and it's pretty warm today. All in all I'm happy. Got the PS3 back and now backed up all my data to USB. Yes I could have gone and bought an Xbox but I don't have the cash for a new console+Live+controllers+games etc etc. It would be well over £200 and I wouldn't have a blu ray player or my PlayTV either.

So far I'd recommend them to anyone with problems. Yeah I could have gone down the cheaper route and got someone else to do it or even done it myself but with the warranty etc it comes in at about £100 for another 2 years piece of mind. Sod paying Sony £134 for a refurb and 3 month warranty.

Last edited: