ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you recommend DIY Wheel Refurb?

SchwepTek™
When i bought the car 6 months ago the wheels were perfect, however, after cleaning them with alloy cleaner the paint decided to start peeling....badly!

Anyway, is it worth getting a proper refurb or sanding them down and spraying them myself as there are no curb marks or scratches, just paint corrosion???

You could have a bash it yourself yeah, a few on here seem to have done some really good home refurb's, what have you got to lose ??

Clio 1.8 RSi
As above, what have you got to loose ?? few quid in paint, end of day if it goes wrong just pay to have them done, atleast you'll know for future aswel... could save a fair amout over the years...

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
just time consuming really quite a bit of sanding and stuff but its good if your into DIY ing and stuff

Shed.
Isnt there a guide to it ?

go down to halfrauds and grab the stuff its all there.

Sandpaper (wetordry 1200grit)
Ispon Metalick (iirc it called that)
primer, can of paint of your choice and laquer.

Foxy posted a link in the guides section.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I want to do something different with a set of alloys too :)

Not sure what colour I want to do them exactly, just not plain & boring lol

Clio Sport 172
yeah im wanting to refurb mine asap. but not sure on the colour of the alloy? whats the paint number/name of the standard 16" 172 alloy

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive done 4 sets now myself, including repairinf curbing etc.

wouldnt ever pay to get them done again unless they were my keskins

V6 230
Save yourself loads of money and do it yourself mate, just make sure you spend ages sanding and preparing them and you will get a great finish and wont have cost much at all.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
powdercoating is where they are powdered and then heated and the powder "melts" and blends together to form the finish i think

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
ive never even bothered to prime my wheels when there has been the odd mark - or previously were the wheel had been reapired very badly by a garage!! just rub id down and flash it in! but if your doing all your wheels a primer may be an idea!! just take your time!! its easy ;)