ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worrying knocking - Engine/Offside wheel

Has this knocking/rattle for a while now, and it's really getting on my nerves. Was going to take it to a garage to take a look but thought I'd try my luck with a thread on here.

The knocking is coming from the engine or the offside of the car, like under the drivers seat or offside wheel etc. The knocking only happens when going over bumps/potholes/cracks in the road. However, it has got progressively worse over the past couple of months. I only used to hear it when going over large potholes etc, now I hear it almost every road. The road has to be very smooth to not hear it.

The noise itself is hard to explain, i can't really tell whether its something that has came loose and is shaking, 2 parts knocking off one another or a general rattle.

If anyone has any questions that will make the problem a little more clear please fire away, this noise is doing my head in!

Any help appreciated!, cheers.

i have the same problem mines on the passenger side and happens when im rolling slowly over potholes or when i move the steering wheel
i think its the top mounts?
is yours the same?

i have the same problem mines on the passenger side and happens when im rolling slowly over potholes or when i move the steering wheel
i think its the top mounts?
is yours the same?

Dont think so mate, the speed doesn't make much of a difference, although the noise will be slightly intensified if im going faster. Steering makes no difference either.

clio 182
i had the same problem i thougt it was the top mount so changed that still got the noise so i changed the bottom ball joint and the noise stopped well happy cost me £10 :) :)

Is it hard to change?

I have no idea what it is or what it does, but willing to have a go myself if someone can give me an idea what I'm doing.

Anyone got any info on the part and its fitment? The rattle is doing my head in and if i could fix it for a tenner id be very pleased. Cheers

ValverInBits
top mounts or balljoints from the symptoms. go for a set of ball joints first. Easy to change. Can be a little stubborn at times. A ball joint lever isnt much, but not essential. For refitting, ive written a little bit about it on my 182 manifold conversion guide.

Top mounts are a little harder, but not much. Just look at the guide on swapping out springs (theres a good one on fubar.net)

top mounts or balljoints from the symptoms. go for a set of ball joints first. Easy to change. Can be a little stubborn at times. A ball joint lever isnt much, but not essential. For refitting, ive written a little bit about it on my 182 manifold conversion guide.

Top mounts are a little harder, but not much. Just look at the guide on swapping out springs (theres a good one on fubar.net)

So can I buy these parts from renault and fit them myself easily enough, or should I take it to a garage? That's what I really want to know.

If so, anyone have a part number and/or price? As well as a guide/tips on how to fit the parts?

Cheers again.

So can I buy these parts from renault and fit them myself easily enough, or should I take it to a garage? That's what I really want to know.

If so, anyone have a part number and/or price? As well as a guide/tips on how to fit the parts?

Cheers again.
Depends on your tools knowedge or friend etc helping wgho know about cars.

Easy enough to do with the right tools etc.

Renault will order the right bits IMo order the whole top mount kits not that bad price wise vs just the bearing

Prices arn't to bad at all

RS mk2 172
Also check the front springs as both of mine were broke and caused this knock/rattle as the broken bit remained and was jingling (is that a word) against the strut.

Phoned my local garage today and got quoted around £70 for the ball joint arms (or something similar to this). Is this a decent price? Mechanic seems to think I'd need to full arm set or whatever is it.

Cheers

Clio 200
I changed the bottom ball joint on the clio but it didnt solve the problem, its going into the garage to get the two front shocks stripped and rebuilt as the top mounts are not sitting properly which is causing the wheel to sit off centre andthe creaking when its turning

titanic killer
I changed the bottom ball joint on the clio but it didnt solve the problem, its going into the garage to get the two front shocks stripped and rebuilt as the top mounts are not sitting properly which is causing the wheel to sit off centre andthe creaking when its turning
what part did you order for just the ball joint?as renault say you need the whole lower arm,cant just get a ball joint for the 2.0ltr model
not having a dig as i need the same part myself

1.8 Civic EX
bumping up an old thread here...what was the result...anyone shed any more light or parts needed etc? I'm thinking this is the problme i'm currently suffering with..

cheers

Monaco 53/468
Mines developed this annoying hollow knock from the osf now. How much are Renault top mount/bearing kits roughly and also bottom ball joints?

Steve

before buying bits, you all need to diagnose to be sure of what's creating your noises. there are numerous things it could be, and you could all have different problems

unhelpful comment, but saves buying stuff to find it was something else

Monaco 53/468
I realise that but these two parts are the most likely to be at fault so I just wanted to gauge a cost of bits thats all.

So if anyone knows how much top mounts are, Renault or aftermarket (GSF etc), and also bottom ball joints then please let me know, cheers
Steve

ECP do top mounts/bearings for about £50-60/set (got part numbers of you want them). think they're quite a bit more from Renault but may be wrong (can you save by buying the 1.2 top mounts, which are apparently the same?)

i think you can only buy complete arms from Renault, but can get balljoints aftermarket; not going to be expensive wouldn't have thought

182FF Arctic
I don't know if this will help but i have got my car in the garage at the moment for similar issues. I had a knocking coming from the near side front when at full lock.

Turns out it was a failure of the lower suspension arm. Apparently if i'd left it much longer my suspension would have ended up under the wheel.

Impressed after i brought my 182 from a main dealer 6 months ago. But that's life.