ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worried about mpg on new 182.

I picked my 182 up a week or so ago. I have been taking it easy as the manual says the car is not at optimum performance until 1500 miles. The scary thing is i have only got 22 mpg out of the car even with me taking it easy. Is this normal as i have seen from previous threads i should get 30-36 mpg when driving sensibly, granted i only do a 10 mile round trip to work in the morning but still thought it would get more. Any comments on this would be great.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
are u sitting still for long periods ? like letting car warm up for a long time ??
if so that will coz your mpg to plummet if your engine is running but the car isnt moving.

Black/Gold 182
22 mpg is pretty low though ... I've never seen my that low and most of my driving is short trips.

Black/Gold 182
Ps is the 22 mpg accurate? Work it out from the mileage + how much you put in at the pump (assuming the mileage is reasonable which should be easy to test). I'm thinking maybe the trip computer is just giving silly numbers (french electrics and all that).

Clio Trophy 79/500
I mine i get 32 mpg if i'm sitting at 80, 45 mpg sitting at 50 and about 20 if i'm giving the car some welly. Its well run in now, and i'm happy with those figures.

Ford Fiesta
are you resetting your mpg all the time? leave it to settle down for 500 miles or so.
22 is far too low, thats more like a V6.
should be mid 30s

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Should be mid 30s... Is the temp sender working properly. Common fault as it think the car is not upto temp and maintains cold start richness.... and poor MPG.

Or you may be a hooligan..!

RenaultSport clio 18
Tank to tank fill up from the same pump is the only way! 22 mpg is not right under reasonable driving conditions

Its gets better as its run in... mine was low when i first got it... the more miles i did, the better the mpg.

320d
I imagine its just a combination of the engine being new and not run in yet, you only doing short journeys and the cold weather doesn't help

My old renaultsport never went under 30mpg round town and always saw 45-50mpg on the motorways

Thanks for the replies. I am planning on filling the car up tomorrow so i will see how accurate of MPG reading is. I am hoping the reading on my display is way out and it is nearer to 30-35 mpg. I will keep you posted.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When i picked mine up in march it was really tight and had 9 miles on it.The fuel economy was poor and was doing about 30mpg on the clock.
Now ive done 3k and on a run the other day to wales it was doing 36mpg and i was'nt hanging around
Give it a while and things will get better.However if your in town and stop start all the time you cant expect any better really

ian

182 Full Fat
Make sure you re-set the trip meter and MPG, then you will know what your MPG is on that tank of fuel. Mine is only 25mpg, but have been stuck in lots of traffic this week, and they have been short journeys. On motorway and long drives I usually see 34-35MPG though

ANSWER

Just put £32's of fuel in the car which means i was averaging 26.9 over 214 miles. However since i have filled up the average over the last 20 miles is 35 mpg which is what would expect. Maybe it is just a quirky thing as the first time it was filled up was just before i picked it up last week from new. The car was sitting outside with the engine on for around 45minutes while i did an inspection of the car ( electrics etc). Also it was sitting idle for about 35 minutes twice last week while i waited to pick someone up. So this is probably why it was so low.

If it continues i will take it back to renault but i think it should be ok now.

182 Full Fat
That'll definately be why. My friend used to work for Renault, and he said they often leave the engine running whilst it is cleaned and polished, as it softens the paint! and makes car easier to wash! Anyway the MPG on one of the cars had dropped to 9MPG by the end, becasue the car obviously wasn't going anywhere.
When you first re-set the MPG, it fluctuates a lot because it is settling out. The more miles you do, the more miles it has to base the final MPG figure onto.

Black/Gold 182
^^^ that's right, it does an running average recalculated every 400 metres, so it takes a while for the average to stabilize.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Dansta said:
Its gets better as its run in... mine was low when i first got it... the more miles i did, the better the mpg.

Mine was exactly the same as Dansta`s. I also own an 05 Megane Scenic and this was the same, terrible to start with but it also settled down.