ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won't start!!!

Ph1 172, E36 328
Right... Me and my friend went to look at a Ph2 172 last night and on the way there the lad text to say it wouldn't start but we continued on as it wasn't far from where we lived. Upon arrival he had got a mate to come round with some jump leads and was hooked up to his friends car. He said the battery had gone flat so we left it a few minutes and had a look around the car. Eventually I took the keys and went to start it... Lights on the dash all came on but I noticed the immobiliser light stayed on solid and when I tried turning it over it turned for about 2 secs then stop turning over. Waited some more time to get some more charge into the battery but nothing changed. So basically do Clios not like going flat? Although I have no problems when I take the battery off mine. Or is it some sort of immobiliser fault and should I try a few of the so say tricks? I've got a Ph1 so looks a bit different inside ie I couldn't see where the lock/unlock button is lol. The lad was gonna get the AA out today so hopefully may get it sorted but should he cant then maybe we could get a real bargain and fix it for a few quid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The solid red light means the key has been accepted by the immobilizer but the immobilizer is not disarming, i used to have this problem all the time with my my 1.2 when the battery went flat.

I know some people on here think that the only way to diagnose it is to plug it in to clip for a diagnostics session and they don't approve of these methods but try this.

Key in - ignition on - leave ignition on for a min, don't attempt to start the car - ignition off - key out - waiting for immobilizer light to flash on dashboard and repeat process.

Might take a good few attempts but it worked every time for me, once you get the car started leave it to charge the battery for a bit and then turn it off and try to start it.

I cant guarantee this will work but like i said it worked every time for me

Thanks
Scott
Thanks
Scott

Mercedes Benz C220
Hi, a noob here, well with a renault problem. I Have the same kinda problem. Bought the car as an extra car for the house. All was fine until the starting problem. Sometimes the light just flashes and then sometimes stays on solid. So I got me hands on a renault clip and run a self test, after checking the actual values I found the key not accepted when light flashes of which I would expect. But when it stays on solid the values indicate the key is excepted but still dosent start? Im not sure why but maybe someone on here could explain. The only fault generated was either the transponder ring faulty or key. I know this dosent help you but thought I should add to it.
Thanx

Ph1 172, E36 328
Mine turned out that I needed a new key. £150 from renault. Never had a problem since. Thankfully I had key insurance so got my money back.