ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless problem!

I have my wireless network working at home, all is ok when looking at web pages but as soon as you try and download a largeish file (10 meg+) or torrents it looses the internet/network connection.

I have a Netgear router and a Netgear USB wireless reciever. I secure my network via mac address.

The router sits in the corner next to the phone line and broadcast a internet signal across the house where my compuer pics it up.

Any ideas folks as I can not even download real player!

Scott

welcome to my world.

having nothing but problems with the wireless network here, managed to get the router to speak to one of the computers, that leaves 2 more:(

getting fed up, and if it wasn't my mums house, there would be a serious run of rj45 cable throughout the house :mad:

Not a Clio
why are they such a problem to setup. you would think they would make it as easy as pairing a blue tooth device to your phone. its no different

Im going to get to the bottom of this. Its great at surfing the net, it only goes wrong when you download somthing large

Scott

Does it just loose the wireless connection of does the internet itself drop out? Check that u have the latest firmware for ur router, netgear is renowned for not working untill its up to date.

I have seemed to get it going, went on portforwarding.com an then limited a few connections and now it seems to be working. I also moved it away from the radiator as it may have been getting hot.

Scott

Audi S3 225
ya find out whether its your networked computer dropping connection to the network or your main computer loosing connection to the internet.

Also what wireless router are yopu using?

A4 Avant & A3
you say your downloading torrents... have you opened up the correct ports?
just a quick thought as it could be that the net is working just not allowing you to download as the firewall is blocking it.
Also have you got XP with service pack 2 installed? theres a chance that the built in firewall could be preventing downloading.

Norris_309 said:
you say your downloading torrents... have you opened up the correct ports?
just a quick thought as it could be that the net is working just not allowing you to download as the firewall is blocking it.
Also have you got XP with service pack 2 installed? theres a chance that the built in firewall could be preventing downloading.

Yes its working now. It seems a little slower ranging from 60 K/bps-20K/bps but hey thats torrents.

What ports should I open. I told it to open the ports that www.portforwarding.com recomeneded (6118-61** from memory)

I do not have SP2.

I use a Netgear router and netgear usb reciever.

A4 Avant & A3
a mate of mine had very slow torrent downloads when using his new firewall router.
You need to look up which ports are used for the particular program you are using (what are you using for torrents??)probably found in the options/preferences of the prog or on their website in the FAQ section maybe, then set that up on your router. Obviously you only want to open the ones you need.

But then it could be just the torrents coming down a bit slow.. so it may well speed up

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
also a lot of ISP's only allow a certain amount of connections though your connection and torrents use hundreds!

in your torrent client preferences limit the max number of connections or try downloading one torrent at a time and see if it is any better!

i had the same prob ages back!

Audi S3 225
hey i used to use torrents with a netgear router, i added the ports 10000 - 60000 in the services tab in the routers settings, this sped my downloads up, and on a good seeded torrent i could get around 100-110kb on a 1 meg connection.