ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

windows xp

Can anyone tell me if i can install windows xp over the original installation without loosing any files or saved items i have on my hard drive.
my pc keeps re-booting itself for no reason so i thaught a re-install of xp may cure this.

cheers

Thanks for your reply but what do you mean is it ok to do
sorry for my computer ignorance.

cheers

Yep its fine to install windows over the top. Last time i did this i lost
C:\windows And i think i might of lost 'My Docs'

Not a Clio
You'll probably find a reinstall doesn't help.

*Usually* random reboots are because your PSU (power supply unit) is failing. I'm not saying that's always the case but probably the majority of the time.

Fiesta ST
Check your Temp of your system/CPU as well and make sure all your fans are working.

You done any install/changes to your PC before the PC started rebooting?

New memory? new programmes?

Not a Clio
Thanks violentj thats what it seems like. can i just replace the psu.

cheers

Yes PSU is just the power box inside the case.

Just to add a bit.

All you need to do is take the side of the case off, follow the wires from the PSU to the motherboard and unplug that connector(s) then unscrew the 4 screws at the back of the case holding it in.

Fitting a new one is the reversal - screw it in first then connect the power back up to the motherboard. The connector should only fit one way.

Thanks for all your help
have made no changes to pc, will be using it and it will just shut down and then boot itself up.it happens about 10 minutes into backing up a dvd or i could be an hour on the internet and for no reason it will just shut down and boot back up.
how do i check the temp of the cpu

cheers

The system temp is 29c/84f
The cpu temp is 77c/170f
is this running to hot if so will a new fan cure this

cheers

Fiesta ST
Sounds too hot if you ask me - my old AMD 3200+ ran about 40c and would crash at 56c - AMD are thought to hit 80c before they die :) so I suggest getting a better heat sink and fan.

Not a Clio
I tried to post last night but the forum wasn't having any of it.

77c is way too hot. I'd say your CPU fan is well and truely knackered.

When you replace the fan, also clean out your heatsink, it's probably full of dust. Or just buy a new fan and heatsink combined.

Something like this would do:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?AC-CS3

Don't buy from a small local pc shop as they will rip you off.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
77C is very hot for a CPU, although the BIOS temperature may not be accurate.

Either the heatsink/fan on the CPU is not seated properly on the CPU, so it needs taking off cleaning and replacing with new paste. Or the heatsink is clogged with dust so it just needs a good clean.

There are loads of good HSF for the older AMDs for under £10. When I shop online I typically use

www.scan.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.dabs.com

You need to be a bit careful when you replace the heatsink. you want a nice even thin film of paste on the cpu, and rub a little on the heatsink too to fill in the gaps in the surface. Artic silver have good instructions, they also make really good paste (quitr expensive though).

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html

Thanks for eveyones help
fitted new fan and heatsink today,so far no crashes and cpu temp running at around 50 degree's after i backed up a dvd.

Thanks again